DaddyNick

Changing stock on AR. Question.

Picked up an AR carbine build a few years back.  Safe queen as I played with other carbines I have. 

I wanna put a full size A2 stock on it. As I understand I will need a full size rifle buffer tube so the A2 stock will fit.  Anything else I need to do? Any mods to the upper so it cycles correctly? 

Thanks for any information. 

Nick

16 minutes ago, DaddyNick said:

Picked up an AR carbine build a few years back.  Safe queen as I played with other carbines I have. 

I wanna put a full size A2 stock on it. As I understand I will need a full size rifle buffer tube so the A2 stock will fit.  Anything else I need to do? Any mods to the upper so it cycles correctly? 

Thanks for any information. 

Nick

You’ll need an A2 spacer, and a rifle length action spring (correct name for a “buffer spring”) for sure. You may need a rifle buffer as well.

Some guns will run great with a carbine buffer on a carbine or midlength gas system and a rifle length receiver  extension (The correct name for a “buffer tube”), some won’t.

What barrel length do you have on your upper?

What gas system? Carbine? Midlength? 

Thanks. It's a 14.5" barrel with a comp to make it legal. 

As for gas system I'm assuming carbine with the short barrel and magpul fixed carbine stock. I like ARs but when it comes to the internals I'm a noob.  Lol. 

Thanks for the info.  

3 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Measure how far your gas block is from the receiver.

~ 7” carbine
~ 9” midlength

A lot of 14.5” guns (pinned brakes to make 16”) nowadays are midlength gas systems.

Thanks man.  Will measure tomorrow morning.  It's buried in the safe.  :)