Sign in to follow this  
tbtrout

HD gun value?

Ok, I am reading the other thread about your go to gun, There are some nice expensive pistols. Hear is my question. Do you worry about your guns value if it is used for self defense and is now in the gentle caring hands of the OIC of the evidence room?

If you have a $2000 and a $500 pistol that are both as reliable would you keep the cheaper one for defense and the more expensive one in the safe? Or does it not matter as long as you are alive.

Didn't we discuss Olmerte in the other thread?? Hehe

But for real, if you shoot an intruder, the police will take your weapon and put in into evidence?? That's just retarded.

It is, and they will. At least until the case is resolved.

Like it or not, shooting someone is a crime, whether it's self defense or not. Evidence in that crime is going to stay with the police until the DA decides what to do, maybe longer.

$1000 is cheap when it comes to a firearm that may save your life. My HK will fire if it is loaded and I pull the trigger, every time until the mag is empty, without fail. That's worth it at 5 times the price.

The cops may keep it, but I have or can get others.

IMHO, I would definitely use a cheaper model for home defense, as long as it is reliable. What's wrong with the Glock? Besides a wheel gun, I would consider that more of a nightstand gun than something you meticulously maintain. Like Ron Popeil, set it and forget it.

Bottom line, I prefer something that can take a beating and function.

I agree it doesn't make a difference to me if I had to use a $200 gun or a $2000 gun as long as I'm alive. I don't own a $2000 gun anyway. I'm rather practical when it comes to gun buying and have never reached $1000 buying a single firearm. There is no need to spend $2000 for an effective defensive handgun although a lot of people think so.

I agree it doesn't make a difference to me if I had to use a $200 gun or a $2000 gun as long as I'm alive. I don't own a $2000 gun anyway. I'm rather practical when it comes to gun buying and have never reached $1000 buying a single firearm. There is no need to spend $2000 for an effective defensive handgun although a lot of people think so.

+1 on that

My Taurus 85 shoots everytime I pull the trigger, and it was under 500 bucks. Put bells and whistles on a firearm, and you now own a safe queen.

Or does it not matter as long as you are alive.

This, assuming you choose not to take a more proactive approach to situational disengagement.

Please explain.

I believe he means that you have a duty to first retreat prior to using self-defense.