dsuave624

Seeking Advice: Traveling to FL from NJ

I will be traveling to FL for a few weeks with my family and intend to bring my pistol and want to  make sure I have all my bases covered so that I do not have any issues transporting and storing.

Some details, we rented a private house in a vacation development/resort. I do not have a CCW permit so I plan to keep the pistol at the rental house at all times. I have not seen any restrictions from the development on their website that firearms are prohibited nor is there anything in the rental contract stating such. We will spend a good amount of time in the house since we will be WFH while our kids attend school virtually. FL laws seem MUCH more lax when it comes to firearms and, from what it seems, looks like it is ok for me to do this, since I legally purchased in NJ. Is there something else I may need to consider? 

In regards to traveling, we are taking a flight. I checked TSA's website and reviewed the guidelines posted on the airline's website. From what I learned, the pistol has to be unloaded, in a hard case, locked, claimed and checked (I plan to check in inside my luggage). Transporting from the airport appear to follow NJ rules, locked in the trunk, which it will be anyway. I plan to bring a box of hollow point ammo, wrapped in clear wrap, to avoid it possibly opening while in transit. 

First time doing this, so I'm a little nervous, truth be told. So looking for advice and guidance to make sure I am not missing anything else. 

Thank you. 

Edit: General consensus is to leave the hollow points, which I will do. 

Edited by dsuave624
typo

I've flown in and out of Newark a lot, much as you describe, though admittedly I haven't done it much in the last 10 years.   I think the TSA site may also tell you the gun case should be locked with a non-TSA lock, which is their way of admitting that TSA employees steal guns.

I used to fly with a copy of the applicable airline and federal policies, since occasionally you'll deal with someone who is convinced such transport is illegal, and you'll never get an airline or TSA employee to actually look something up, unless you give them a really good reason to.

If possible, I'd fly out of Philly--they're much more familiar and comfortable with firearm transport.   And it will reduce the chance that you'll get diverted for some reason to JFK or Laguardia on your return.  Gun owners have been arrested for arriving at those airports with a legal firearm.

Not sure about the hollow point issue...perhaps someone else can weigh in on whether home-airport is one of the allowable transport routes.   

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

Why??  If your not/cant conceal carry while in florida, i dont see the point. Expecting someone to break into your vacation villa while your inside??

Not having a FL ccw only means no carry on your person, can still have it in your car as long as it is " secured",  in a fastened holster, zipped bag, glovebox....better to have a gun within reach than a thousand miles away in NJ. And I agree with Tunaman, no hp's for travel. 

52 minutes ago, 10X said:

I've flown in and out of Newark a lot, much as you describe, though admittedly I haven't done it much in the last 10 years.   I think the TSA site may also tell you the gun case should be locked with a non-TSA lock, which is their way of admitting that TSA employees steal guns.

I used to fly with a copy of the applicable airline and federal policies, since occasionally you'll deal with someone who is convinced such transport is illegal, and you'll never get an airline or TSA employee to actually look something up, unless you give them a really good reason to.

If possible, I'd fly out of Philly--they're much more familiar and comfortable with firearm transport.   And it will reduce the chance that you'll get diverted for some reason to JFK or Laguardia on your return.  Gun owners have been arrested for arriving at those airports with a legal firearm.

Not sure about the hollow point issue...perhaps someone else can weigh in on whether home-airport is one of the allowable transport routes.   

I did purchase a non-TSA combo lock based on the guidelines posted on their site. Good suggestion to keep the rules handy. I will make sure I have it book marked on my phone for easy access. 

I thought about the possibility of someone from TSA stealing but that's an awfully big risk for that employee, IMO. If caught, they face federal charges. And here in NJ, there is no wiggle room. But it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

There is no exemption for bringing your hollow points to the airport.  I would not do it unless you are planning a stay at the Graybar Hotel.

Hollow points are out. Reading into the law further, it's only allowed at your home or range. No need to take a chance at the airport. 

31 minutes ago, siderman said:

Not having a FL ccw only means no carry on your person, can still have it in your car as long as it is " secured",  in a fastened holster, zipped bag, glovebox....better to have a gun within reach than a thousand miles away in NJ. And I agree with Tunaman, no hp's for travel. 

Does Florida law allow a firearm to be kept in a vehicle at any/all times without a permit after the owner's destination has been reached (beyond what FOPA allows)?

17 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Does Florida law allow a firearm to be kept in a vehicle at any/all times without a permit after the owner's destination has been reached (beyond what FOPA allows)?

To the best of my knowledge yes. The law specifically points out possession in  a vehicle of private conveyance is allowed, again, as long as it is secured. The law as written does not differentiate resident/ non resident. I've yet to see or hear otherwise but I'm not a lawyer. It's hard erasing the Jersey mindset of being guilty until proven innocent with all things firearms but there really is a free America out there.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dsuave624 said:

I thought about the possibility of someone from TSA stealing but that's an awfully big risk for that employee, IMO. If caught, they face federal charges. And here in NJ, there is no wiggle room. But it's not out of the realm of possibility. 

That should reduce the risk, but not fully eliminate it.  Waaaaay back when I was competing seriously, I almost had my gun case stolen at Newark.   I was coming back from a team selection match in Atlanta, and everything arrived with me except my unmarked, anonymous gun case (but of course the guns had been declared, so the contents were known to the airline).  I was freaking out--it was three weeks till the final team selection match in LA and there was no chance of importing replacements and getting the necessary custom work done in that time.

My wife at the time was a deputy attorney general for NJ, so she flashed ID and explained in graphic detail at the lost luggage claim what would happen to whomever was caught in possession of that case.  The lost luggage attendant made a couple of quick calls to baggage handling supervisors in the bowels of the airport.   Ten loooooonnnnnng  minutes later, the now-empty baggage carousel started up, discharged a single case, and stopped.  

I made it to the match in LA, but Team USA still went ahead and selected better shooters than I for the Olympics.

• Informative 1

Another question I thought of, would I have any issues bringing my pistol BACK into NJ? I'm not coming from a range, a gun shop or gunsmith. I'm not attending a competition or an event. Would I have any potential issues? 

It's quite sad, honestly that I have to worry so much about wanting to ensure the safety of my family while traveling. 

14 hours ago, eyeinstine said:

Why??   i dont see the point. Expecting someone to break into your vacation villa while your inside??

Things like that have happened you know. 

2 hours ago, dsuave624 said:

Another question I thought of, would I have any issues bringing my pistol BACK into NJ?

It's quite sad, honestly that I have to worry so much about wanting to ensure the safety of my family while traveling. 

Ship it home?

1 hour ago, dsuave624 said:

Along those lines, when traveling, I wonder about traveling in a RV with your handgun. I'm planning a trip to Florida soon and wondering if it's legal to bring a handgun along? Technically, the RV is my personal home for the period of time I'm traveling, so can I possess it with me while driving South through multiple states?

I have a Florida CCW, so once I get there, it won't be an issue. But I have to travel through a few Blue states to get there, with a few overnight stops.

I will confess that I am not familiar with the legalities of where on can have a handgun in Florida without a CCW permit.  If you plan on doing any future travel at all, I would strongly urge you to get one.  It will allow you to carry in 30+ states, including the 16 or so that allow Constitutional carry.

I have flown out of Newark many times with a handgun, and have never had a problem, although the exact procedures seem to be different every time.  Follow the guidelines, which have been amply documented elsewhere (or feel free to pm me), and whatever you do, don't say, "I have a gun."  Just tell them, "I need a firearms declaration card."  I would suggest that you lock your slide back, or even take it off, so they can clearly see that your gun is unloaded.  Once you've done it a few times, you will feel a lot more comfortable.

As for defensive ammo, consider a polymer-tipped round like Hornady Critical Defense, which the NJSP has ruled is not a hollow point. 

Good luck, and have a good, safe trip.

12 hours ago, Sniper said:

Along those lines, when traveling, I wonder about traveling in a RV with your handgun. I'm planning a trip to Florida soon and wondering if it's legal to bring a handgun along? Technically, the RV is my personal home for the period of time I'm traveling, so can I possess it with me while driving South through multiple states?

I have a Florida CCW, so once I get there, it won't be an issue. But I have to travel through a few Blue states to get there, with a few overnight stops.

At the very least you would have FOPA and its guidelines for possession ( not carry) while traveling.  For carry just be aware states that may reciprocate with FL still may not honor a non resident ccw  from FL, I don't remember all but SC?, look that info up. I have no comment on a vehicle vs a home and how that relates to actual carry.

2 hours ago, siderman said:

For carry just be aware states that may reciprocate with FL still may not honor a non resident ccw  from FL, I don't remember all but SC?, look that info up.

I have an app that tells me which states have reciprocity with the CCWs that I have. Last time I checked, I think it was 36 states (just not the PRNJ), I need to check that.

2 hours ago, siderman said:

I have no comment on a vehicle vs a home and how that relates to actual carry.

There was a discussion a year or so where I think one stated, but I'm not sure if it's correct, that the RV is considered a vehicle when rolling, but once you hook up in the campground, it's considered your home. Need to search for that...

I'll chime in on NO HOLLOW POINTS. Hollow points are Cannot possess in NJ, with exception... I only know of 4 exemptions off the top of my head. 1 LEO, 2 In your home, 3 From place of purchase to your home, 4 From your home to a licensed range and back. 

If you want to take your ammo with you instead of buying it there, buy/take polymer filled bullet ammo i.e. Pow' Ball, Guard Dog, Critical Defense, ect. They are not classified as Hollow Point ammo in NJ

If you must, take regular HP ammo with you, you could say your on your way directly to a range in Florida from the airport (home to range exemption), but good luck with that :lol:. If it were me I'd just buy the HP's in Florida. FYI Florida is a free state. In regard to firearms/ammo only thing you need to even show ID for is to buy an actual gun and then all it takes is a Florida drivers license

Dude just drive....

I too am headed to Florida in a few weeks for a rented Airbnb, but I will be driving.  I intend to have the gun unloaded in one locked case, the ammo in another locked case, and both cases in the back of my SUV- following transport laws   I will likely stop off half way and spend the night, but again my setup will allow me to bring the guns into any hotel in any state along the way thanks to federal transport laws.
I rented a private home in a rental/transient neighborhood and I intend to have a loaded gun soley for protection while in the house.  

One day I'll get permits, but in the meantime know the laws, bring a copy of the laws and you'll be fine