PaintedMare

Opinions for a gun for a female

Hi,

Im new here (obviously)…..looked thru some posts. Figured I would just jump in and ask for some opinions. Ive used other peoples guns (shotguns) when target practicing and stuff. But, now I want to get my OWN. (yes I have permits and all that) Ive been searching the internet but not much help there. This is what Im looking for. I have my own farm, so I'd like an all around "farm gun" ….Not a single shot. Something that can take out something as big as a coyote. easy to use,clean,maintain. Here's the hard part.....something without a lot of kick.  few years ago, I was given a single shot Winchester 20ga.....target practicing with it, I just kept thinking I must not be  holding it tight enough, or not in the correct position,....afterwards, talking to other people, men...BIG broad shouldered experienced shooters, that all said "that's the worst gun made it kicks like a mule!" Since then, any gun Ive fired, I find myself tensing up expecting the kick, which obviously screws up my aim.  Its been suggested a 410 shotgun might be something to consider.  Other people say that's for shooting pigeons and beer cans. Sorry for super long very first post. But, interested in opinions on a 410 shotgun, or ideas of what other guns to consider that don't have severe kick. thanks

1 minute ago, PaintedMare said:

an all around "farm gun" ….Not a single shot. Something that can take out something as big as a coyote. easy to use,clean,maintain. Here's the hard part.....something without a lot of kick.

Your search is over.  You just described an AR15 in 5.56/.223!  Perfect for a farm, will kill a yote and almost NO kick!:)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Your search is over.  You just described an AR15 in 5.56/.223!  Perfect for a farm, will kill a yote and almost NO kick!:)

Ha... How did I know you would say that?? :rofl:

Another choice would be a pistol caliber carbine, in 9mm or .40. Nice thing about them, you can share ammo if you get a handgun. They're lightweight, low kick, semi auto and will definitely kill a coyote.

Plus, they're fun to shoot!!

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Another choice would be a pistol caliber carbine, in 9mm or .40. Nice thing about them, you can share ammo if you get a handgun. They're lightweight, low kick, semi auto and will definitely kill a coyote.

Ar15s are lots of fun to shoot and are much better at killing a coyote  than a pistol caliber rifle  What do you have against that platform?

If you are shooting below the horizon, with a good backstop, the rifles/carbines already mentioned would work fine.   If you might hunt birds on the farm, want to keep nuisance woodpeckers from wrecking the barn, or won't always have a good backstop between you and the neighbors, a shotgun makes more sense.   Buckshot for coyotes, birdshot for birds, bigger birdshot for woodchucks.

A 28 gauge is a thing, smaller, lighter in recoil than a 20 gauge, but still bigger than a .410.  But they're rare and ammo is expensive and no one stocks it--you could get it by mail.   If you think a shotgun is the way to go, try to test fire a 20 gauge semiautomatic; they tend to kick less than a single shot, and often the stocks are more ergonomic which makes the recoil less noticeable as well.

Shotgun shoots are organized on this board from time to time, held at wildlife management areas in the state, with a few members bringing clay pigeon throwers, and folks more than willing to let others test fire whatever shotguns they brought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Ar15s are lots of fun to shoot and are much better at killing a coyote  than a pistol caliber rifle  What do you have against that platform?

Nothing... I just don't have that "cult" card, unfortunately. But, long gun purchases lead into handgun purchases, and with the ammo situation today, sharing the same inventory is a plus.

You can kill a coyote with a 22LR... you just need to aim really well... :yahoo:

• Crazy 1

My first rifle purchase was an AR-15, like you, being a new shooter I was a bit hesitant about recoil, but after taking a few shots with a friends I was hooked, took the plunge and have never looked back. You can shoot it all day. My wife who is 4’ 11” has no issues going through a mag or two with it. With the right optic that works for you, it really is an awesome tool. Cleaning and maintenance is a few minutes of your time.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, 10X said:

If you are shooting below the horizon, with a good backstop, the rifles/carbines already mentioned would work fine.   If you might hunt birds on the farm, want to keep nuisance woodpeckers from wrecking the barn, or won't always have a good backstop between you and the neighbors, a shotgun makes more sense.   Buckshot for coyotes, birdshot for birds, bigger birdshot for woodchucks.

A 28 gauge is a thing, smaller, lighter in recoil than a 20 gauge, but still bigger than a .410.  But they're rare and ammo is expensive and no one stocks it--you could get it by mail.   If you think a shotgun is the way to go, try to test fire a 20 gauge semiautomatic; they tend to kick less than a single shot, and often the stocks are more ergonomic which makes the recoil less noticeable as well.

Shotgun shoots are organized on this board from time to time, held at wildlife management areas in the state, with a few members bringing clay pigeon throwers, and folks more than willing to let others test fire whatever shotguns they brought.

What he said. 

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

There's the problem - they gave you a 20ga single shot shotgun.  Try a 20ga Semi Auto.  The action itself will soak up a lot of the recoil.

An AR15 would be good as well - relatively light, low recoil.  

What he said, too. 

I always disliked shooting my father's over/under & pump action shotguns in 20 gauge when I was younger. Semi-auto is the way to go. AR-15's can be loud, but they're light and have very little recoil. I think the most important thing to consider is distance to neighbors and if you have something to stop the bullet. What is beyond your target is one of the most important rules of firearms safety. Good luck in your search & welcome!

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Nothing... I just don't have that "cult" card, unfortunately. But, long gun purchases lead into handgun purchases, and with the ammo situation today, sharing the same inventory is a plus.

You can kill a coyote with a 22LR... you just need to aim really well... :yahoo:

Do you consider going to church a cult?

AR-15's are like gods. And I'm a proud follower of polytheism. 

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Do you consider going to church a cult?

AR-15's are like gods. And I'm a proud follower of polytheism. 

I wouldn't compare a church to a AR15..  The AR15 cult is more like the Reddit kids stomping on the hedge funds... the Herd Mentality.. which is pretty strong here.

I believe in the right tool for the right job. That differs for each person.

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and explanations about different guns. These seems to be an awesome forum, very helpful!!  Now I need to ask one more questions.....gun shows, are they worth it to shop at ? or is it better to go direct to a gun shop? I know NJ sucks so anything I find at a gun show would have to get sent to a NJ shop anyway for me to pick up (and pay extra!). But, was curious if shows are just "junk" that people are trying to get rid of......or if good deals can be had.

4 minutes ago, PaintedMare said:

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and explanations about different guns. These seems to be an awesome forum, very helpful!!  Now I need to ask one more questions.....gun shows, are they worth it to shop at ? or is it better to go direct to a gun shop? I know NJ sucks so anything I find at a gun show would have to get sent to a NJ shop anyway for me to pick up (and pay extra!). But, was curious if shows are just "junk" that people are trying to get rid of......or if good deals can be had.

What area are you looking around?  North/Central/South areas?  We can definitely give recommendations.

12 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

What area are you looking around?  North/Central/South areas?  We can definitely give recommendations.

Im in south jersey. There's a few shops near me, Butch's gun world in vineland, Bobs in Glassboro. and supposedly, I don't know when, but a new shop is supposed to be opening soon in Cedarville called Reillys. but, last I checked their page theyre not open quite yet. There's a shop in Gap, Pa I saw the sign for that I was thinking of seeing what they've got called The Village Arms

15 hours ago, Sniper said:

Assuming the OP is in NJ, a pistol caliber carbine is not going to help. You can hunt coyote with a rifle but it must be .25 caliber or smaller for centerfire. 9mm is .355" and .40 is, well, .40" - both too big.

• Informative 1

21 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Assuming the OP is in NJ, a pistol caliber carbine is not going to help. You can hunt coyote with a rifle but it must be .25 caliber or smaller for centerfire. 9mm is .355" and .40 is, well, .40" - both too big.

Also check your local ordinances regarding discharging a firearm in your municipality. It shouldn't be an issue in South Jersey, but I recommend checking anyway. What about 22 WMR? 

49 minutes ago, PaintedMare said:

Im in south jersey. There's a few shops near me, Butch's gun world in vineland, Bobs in Glassboro. and supposedly, I don't know when, but a new shop is supposed to be opening soon in Cedarville called Reillys. but, last I checked their page theyre not open quite yet. There's a shop in Gap, Pa I saw the sign for that I was thinking of seeing what they've got called The Village Arms

Hit up Scott at S.W.A.T. Firearms in Hammonton.  He's a friend of the forum.  Not sure what he has in stock but he can point you in the right direction.

I didn't notice anywhere, just how much land you have or where it is located but this needs to be taken into account when you look at rifles.  Even .22's travel a long way if not impeded by a berm, tree, building or body.  

5.56 ammo can travel accurately out to about 700 yards.  After that, the flight destabilizes but it can still do damage.  

So, you need to know just how far away things that you do NOT want to hit will be.  

On the other hand, there are low recoil shells in all gauges and it's mostly a matter of getting used to the recoil more often than not being able to handle it.

I would think 2 or 3 times before firing any type of long gun in NJ not at a range. If I needed to carry around a gun on a farm truck or something it would be a 12ga.shotgun. Look into these mini shells that are getting some press (if you can find them.) Supposed to have a lot less recoil.  And you don't have to worry much about taking out a neighbor a half mile away.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

I would think 2 or 3 times before firing any type of long gun in NJ not at a range. If I needed to carry around a gun on a farm truck or something it would be a 12ga.shotgun. Look into these mini shells that are getting some press (if you can find them.) Supposed to have a lot less recoil.  And you don't have to worry much about taking out a neighbor a half mile away.

Your gonna shoot a scatter gun out to 100 yards on a farm with animals?

9 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

You gonna shoot a rifle out to 600yds? In New Jersey? You can use slugs which are pretty accurate out to 100yds.  

I don't recall the OP asking about shooting out to 600 yards. And she asked for something "without a lot of kick" 

As mentioned before, small game in NJ are not allowed to be hunted using anything bigger than .25in

.22lr .17hmr and .223 are the only guns i've seen carried on farms and ranches up here in the north for management of pests. A slug would be overkill trying to take out the groundhog putting holes in your paddocks. 

We're not talking about shooting deer here, that have a roughly 10" kill zone, where a slug at 100 yards could be "accurate" enough. 

As others have said, ar-15 or pistol caliber carbine. 

One other suggestion is if you ahve developed a flinch, very often it is noise related less than actual recoil. For that, you can buy a cheap set of electronic muffs, and get some disposable foam earplugs. That's the best combo of killing noise and still being able to hear stuff that you can get for the money you spend. (the cheapie howard leight or walker muffs are fine for this purpose and depending on catching a sale, $45-75). 

If you are noise averse, a pistol caliber carbine is going to be quieter than an AR. 

19 minutes ago, EdF said:

She didn't but the rounds from an AR are going to go that far if they don't hit something first. 

The bullets from ANYTHING that isn't slow and heavy are going to go that far. Even slow and heavy stuff will go that far if you point it sufficiently upwards. 

20 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I don't recall the OP asking about shooting out to 600 yards. And she asked for something "without a lot of kick" 

As mentioned before, small game in NJ are not allowed to be hunted using anything bigger than .25in

.22lr .17hmr and .223 are the only guns i've seen carried on farms and ranches up here in the north for management of pests. A slug would be overkill trying to take out the groundhog putting holes in your paddocks. 

We're not talking about shooting deer here, that have a roughly 10" kill zone, where a slug at 100 yards could be "accurate" enough. 

She's in south Jersey. Not very hilly. I wouldn't use an AR unless I was hunting coyotes and elevated. Too many "ifs" for me.

To answer the OPs original question-yes a .410 would take out a coyote just fine under 50yds with 00 buck 

• Agree 1