PaintedMare

Opinions for a gun for a female

15 hours ago, PaintedMare said:

Im in south jersey. There's a few shops near me, Butch's gun world in vineland, Bobs in Glassboro. and supposedly, I don't know when, but a new shop is supposed to be opening soon in Cedarville called Reillys. but, last I checked their page theyre not open quite yet. There's a shop in Gap, Pa I saw the sign for that I was thinking of seeing what they've got called The Village Arms

I work at Shooters Sporting Center in Little Egg Harbor. Come see me and I will show you some stuff.

AR15 or if you dont' want something so tactical looking then look at the Ruger Mini-14 (also 5.56/223).  Good for four legged and two legged predators.

5.56/223 has very little recoil as others have mentioned.  Tons of videos online on how to maintain and clean them.

As far as bullet travel, dont' miss.  But seriously, always consider what is behind / beyond what you are shooting at.  Shooting from elevated position (tree stand, top of hill shotting down, etc) mitigates a great deat of that risk.

Good old fashion 30/30 will have more recoil but bullet isn't going to travel nearly as far.  Easily take coyotes & deer with it.

You may want to also look at some bolt action guns.  Some of those are very good for coyotes.  Several very light recoil rounds out there for coyote hunting.

Good luck!

On 1/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, SmittyMHS said:

To answer the OPs original question-yes a .410 would take out a coyote just fine under 50yds with 00 buck 

I have not been able to find .410 shells at any where near a reasonable price lately. $250+ shipping and tax for a case if 7 shot and $3 a round for buckshot are the last prices I've seen. Those prices are just too high. I'm hoping that they come down some eventually.

24 minutes ago, brucin said:

I have not been able to find .410 shells at any where near a reasonable price lately. $250+ shipping and tax for a case if 7 shot and $3 a round for buckshot are the last prices I've seen. Those prices are just too high. I'm hoping that they come down some eventually.

So goes the world...

My first choice would be an AR15... Not too much recoil, coyote dispatcher, and tool of the free world.  I would look for one with a 20" barrel.

Keep it simple.  You need a toolbox with more than one tool... LOL  I might buy the ammo first to see if you can get it and then get the firearm.  Ruger 10/22, AR15, and a Pump Shotgun in 12 or 20 gauge based on ammo aquisitions.    Some very good arguments could be made for a pistol caliber carbine as well.

Other thoughts would be a 30-30 lever action gun such a Winchester Model 94 or a Marlin 336 if ammo can be found.  With training it will cycle pretty quickly.  

As for handguns... Glock 19 or S&W M&P and a Ruger Mark or Browning Buckmark maybe coupled with a 357/38 revolver.  If 40 caliber is available I might get a Glock 23 and a 9mm conversion barrel.  A S&W Victory might be neat instead of the Ruger or Browning for a solid 22LR handgun.

Gunbroker might be useful in finding some tools...  You can get lower recoil shells for shotguns and you can TRAIN to get over your fear or flinch if there isn't some physical barrier.  

PaintedMare,

Definitely recommend taking David up on his offer and stopping in at Shooters. Last time I was there they had a decent selection at reasonable cost, not charging "we got'em over a barrel during these times" prices. David and the others we spoke to were helpful and patient. Good luck in your search and stay safe.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:20 AM, PaintedMare said:

Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions and explanations about different guns. These seems to be an awesome forum, very helpful!!  Now I need to ask one more questions.....gun shows, are they worth it to shop at ? or is it better to go direct to a gun shop? I know NJ sucks so anything I find at a gun show would have to get sent to a NJ shop anyway for me to pick up (and pay extra!). But, was curious if shows are just "junk" that people are trying to get rid of......or if good deals can be had.

I'd recommend staying away from Gun Shows for now.  You walk in one as a Newbie and will be told a million tales of what's best that just so happens to be at THAT person's table!

Go to Shooters to see Dave, and give Melissa a call at Legacy Armory in Cinnaminson, NJ.   They'll direct you to what you NEED, and allay fears.  I know them both and they'll treat you right!

May be an image of 1 person and sunglasses

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

I know NJ sucks so anything I find at a gun show would have to get sent to a NJ shop anyway

This isn't a NJ issue.  This is federal law and applies to any sale where the seller and the purchaser are residents of different states.

36 minutes ago, EdF said:

This isn't a NJ issue.  This is federal law and applies to any sale where the seller and the purchaser are residents of different states.

Depends on the seller - if they're a FFL you can buy a NJ-Legal long gun out of state as long as they do the PICS check and CoE.  If it's a private sale then yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2021 at 4:51 PM, PaintedMare said:

Hi,

Im new here (obviously)…..looked thru some posts. Figured I would just jump in and ask for some opinions. Ive used other peoples guns (shotguns) when target practicing and stuff. But, now I want to get my OWN. (yes I have permits and all that) Ive been searching the internet but not much help there. This is what Im looking for. I have my own farm, so I'd like an all around "farm gun" ….Not a single shot. Something that can take out something as big as a coyote. easy to use,clean,maintain. Here's the hard part.....something without a lot of kick.  few years ago, I was given a single shot Winchester 20ga.....target practicing with it, I just kept thinking I must not be  holding it tight enough, or not in the correct position,....afterwards, talking to other people, men...BIG broad shouldered experienced shooters, that all said "that's the worst gun made it kicks like a mule!" Since then, any gun Ive fired, I find myself tensing up expecting the kick, which obviously screws up my aim.  Its been suggested a 410 shotgun might be something to consider.  Other people say that's for shooting pigeons and beer cans. Sorry for super long very first post. But, interested in opinions on a 410 shotgun, or ideas of what other guns to consider that don't have severe kick. thanks

If you'd like to try out some guns PM me.  I offer @Mrs. Peel as a reference.