Evan Long

Looking for some guidance

Nothing wrong with a Glock but I would get a Glock 2.0... a S&W M&P 2.0.  Look at Gunbroker if you cannot find one with one of NJGF vendors..   Make sure you choose one with NJ-Compliant magazines.

• Agree 1

Good choice!  Take a look at the 34. It's my favorite of the five Glocks I own, and that of everyone I take to the range.

Is there still a marketplace on here where you can put out a WTB?  Otherwise, check with dealers in your area, or look online.

Expect to pay more than you would have a year ago, but there are an awful lot of Glocks out there. 

10 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

Where in NJ are you located? I am sure some people on here can give you some reccomendations on where to shop. Glocks are great guns, but there is a big demand for them now.

Yeah, thanks. I'm in Camden county, right on Trump National golf course. I've shot several guns-grew up around them and have been a life long range shooter. I've shot everything from a Ruger .22 target pistol, 6 round .357, Glock G43x, M&P .380 bodyguard. Smith and Wesson .40 to a Mossberg 500... So I think I'm well versed enough to know what I want for it's intended home defense role-along with the handgun I'm looking at a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. As mentioned, the shops I've been to basically told me that they're too busy. Waiting on this storm to clear and will be taking a ride out to Shooters in Monmouth county. Again, I appreciate the response. Any insight would be appreciated! 

Thanks for the reply. So, I've visited 3 around me, all local and 2 of them said that they're to busy. The 3rd said that they only work with Buds. I'm going to try and get to Shooters in South Jersey Wednesday and see if they can help me do that. Seems like they all didn't want to be bothered. Again, thanks for the info! 

What are they "too busy" to do?  Sell you a gun?  Most of them don't have many guns or much selection.  They are busy, selling what they have and trying to get more.

So, what won't they do for you?

Check with some of the local FFLs.  Generally they work out of their home or small retail office.

I've used Monmouth Arms, JT Cusoms and Tactical Concepts.  All good people.  Maybe someone closer to your neck of the woods could recommend a local FFL that is closer for you.

A lot of gun stores are operating on an appointment only basis right now.  FFLs are almost always by appoint.

Reach out to some local FFLs and let them know what you are looking for.  Pay in advance to show you are serious and not window shopping.

Good luck.

7 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Check with some of the local FFLs.  Generally they work out of their home or small retail office.

I've used Monmouth Arms.

I second the recommendation for Monmouth Arms.

Not close to me but well worth the drive.

1 hour ago, Evan Long said:

So, I've visited 3 around me, all local and 2 of them said that they're to busy. The 3rd said that they only work with Buds. I'm going to try and get to Shooters in South Jersey Wednesday and see if they can help me do that. Seems like they all didn't want to be bothered. 

Don't waste time and money with shops that aren't interested in your business.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Evan Long said:

No, I did not. Drove there and they weren't open. I've called a few times too. They are right around the corner from me. Should I ask for someone? 

Check his hours...I don’t think he’s open every day of the week. 

Great guy to work with. He’s a stocking Glock dealer, but I don’t know what he currently has. 

3 hours ago, EdF said:

What are they "too busy" to do?  Sell you a gun?  Most of them don't have many guns or much selection.  They are busy, selling what they have and trying to get more.

So, what won't they do for you?

Seems like they're to busy for anything. I did not have an appointment, perhaps that's what I should do. If I can order through them I will-on the spot. If they can help me facilitate the procurement I'd also pay. I'm just looking for a local shop that will help a first time buyer.  I do appreciate your help! 

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

Check his hours...I don’t think he’s open every day of the week. 

Great guy to work with. He’s a stocking Glock dealer, but I don’t know what he currently has. 

Great to know. I'll keep trying. Looks like I need an appointment to see anyone. 

3 hours ago, Bomber said:

Don't waste time and money with shops that aren't interested in your business.

That's what I thought. Ive called and emailed alot of shops with no reply. The 3 visited got me no where. I think demand is so high they're just not interested. I'll keep on visiting until someone takes my money. Appreciate your reply! 

3 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I've used Monmouth Arms, JT Cusoms and Tactical Concepts.  All good people.  Maybe someone closer to your neck of the woods could recommend a local FFL that is closer for you.

A lot of gun stores are operating on an appointment only basis right now.  FFLs are almost always by appoint.

Reach out to some local FFLs and let them know what you are looking for.  Pay in advance to show you are serious and not window shopping.

Good luck.

I'll look into all 3. Thanks very much! 

10 hours ago, Underdog said:

Nothing wrong with a Glock but I would get a Glock 2.0... a S&W M&P 2.0.  Look at Gunbroker if you cannot find one with one of NJGF vendors..   Make sure you choose one with NJ-Compliant magazines.

I've never cared for the trigger pull on S&Ws. My father had one of their first composite models and it jammed and stovepiped all the time. Glock 2.0? I've only looked at the above. 19/23/43/43x w lower capacity mags, of course. 

1 hour ago, Evan Long said:

That's what I thought. Ive called and emailed alot of shops with no reply. The 3 visited got me no where. I think demand is so high they're just not interested. I'll keep on visiting until someone takes my money. Appreciate your reply! 

I'll look into all 3. Thanks very much! 

I'd be surprised if you can't get Steve at Monmouth Arms to respond. He always answered the phone or replied to emails for me, even outside of his business hours.

I think that I would stop saying that they aren't interested.  I've been in quite few shops the last four months and talked to more.  They just don't have guns.  Can't order or find anything specific.  One, who I have known most of my life told me that he goes to the armory to pick up shipments, doesn't know what's in the boxes until he's back and opening things up and most of it sells faster than he can get it on the shelves.  

They don't take orders because they don't know what they can get and don't want to hold your money when you might be able to get something else faster.  

14 minutes ago, EdF said:

I think that I would stop saying that they aren't interested.  I've been in quite few shops the last four months and talked to more.  They just don't have guns.  Can't order or find anything specific.  One, who I have known most of my life told me that he goes to the armory to pick up shipments, doesn't know what's in the boxes until he's back and opening things up and most of it sells faster than he can get it on the shelves.  

They don't take orders because they don't know what they can get and don't want to hold your money when you might be able to get something else faster.  

This is probably correct. 

Many of the dealers I know are being told that there is several months lead time to fill an order. 

You’re probably better off trying to find something on the used market than trying to have a dealer order anything new. 

Gunbroker, Armslist, the equipment exchange here....probably your best bets. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EdF said:

I think we're in the Costco situation. I've always said, if you're shopping at Costco, and see something you like, buy it. It won't be there the next time you go. Same situation now with firearms, if it's in stock, buy it, it won't be there next time you check.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, EdF said:

Op was trying to arrange an FFL transfer and they turned him down.

20 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Op was trying to arrange an FFL transfer and they turned him down.

I just reread his every post and see no such explanation of what he's doing.  I'll wait to hear it from him.