JJames

Why is it taking so long to get FID and Pistol Purchase permits?

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Preaching to the choir, @Bomber.  I agree it shouldn't be relevant to the investigation and really only serves as a mild deterrent to applicants.

So, when was the last time you heard someone got denied a permit for not having their employer listed on the application?

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

PD advised me today that permits are ready.  Today is a little over 30 days from when the officer contacted me for the paystub in response to my certified letter.

I believe the letter worked to get my permits moving.

The letter definitely worked for me too. I kept getting the runaround each time I called. Always was told to wait X amount of weeks longer. I sent the letter and bam. 3 days after I dropped it in the mailbox I got a phone call. I left the part in there that quoted the statute too. So I guess that gave the appearance that someone was dragging their feet and needed to do their job. I was told where I am in line that they are just finishing up October 2020. I think my app was date November 11, 2020. So I’m expecting the call any day to come in to pick up the FID. Whomever recommended the letter, thanks so much. Brilliant idea and it worked beautifully. I don’t think many people would think of writing a letter. Who would have thunk old snail mail that’s been around since Benjamin Franklin would have been the best way to expedite something like this?

10 minutes ago, JJames said:

The letter definitely worked for me too.  I don’t think many people would think of writing a letter. Who would have thunk old snail mail that’s been around since Benjamin Franklin would have been the best way to expedite something like this?

Yes, letters work. 

When the IRS or a collection agency go after someone they send a letter.

49 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Yes, letters work. 

When the IRS or a collection agency go after someone they send a letter.

Valid point for sure. They make those letters sounds scary too. Like they are coming for your house, your car and your dog. lol 

On 2/11/2021 at 1:39 PM, 10X said:

The employment question is inappropriate

i always listed my company name but gave my direct phone number; figured if I got the call I might be able to verify my own employment. Worst case I’d transfer the call to HR 

in 20 years, the police never called.  But some departments do. 

I tried that approach, but instead of calling, my PD sent a form letter (that looked like it had been Xerox copied about 1000 times) to the attention of the "HR Department" at my office mailing address.

I work for a global company with over 200,000 employees, so the letter literally made it halfway around the world and up through several layers of leadership while they figured out what to do with it.

I eventually got a call from our regional "security Director" who advised me of our firm's policy on NO FIREARMS IN THE WORKPLACE, no violence in the workplace, and the importance of no intimidation or threats of any kind in the workplace.  The guy was a former FBI agent who was now making big money in a corporate gig, so after he read the canned statement he laughed and said he was required to go through the motions with me but he was a firearms guy, so we just talked about shotguns for a while.

I also got a call from my North America division lead (who I knew quite well) because he was notified.  I was a little pissed about that call because he was asking me "why do you need a gun", "aren't you worried about your kids seeing them", etc, etc.  It was none of his goddamn business, and there was no friggin reason for him to be involved AT ALL.  I played it cool and everything is fine, but I viewed that as the biggest intrusion/inappropriate part of the process.

19 hours ago, marlintag said:

The Highland Park Police Department have sent letters and have called all of my employers.

Contrary to common belief around here some PD's do contact employers, my town is one of them.

Its an insidious question and shitty for the PD's to call since employment is supposedly not a condition for approval. 

That question was deliberately put there to discourage certain people from applying and possibly cause issues with their employer if they do. 

3 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

I tried that approach, but instead of calling, my PD sent a form letter (that looked like it had been Xerox copied about 1000 times) to the attention of the "HR Department" at my office mailing address.

I work for a global company with over 200,000 employees, so the letter literally made it halfway around the world and up through several layers of leadership while they figured out what to do with it.

I eventually got a call from our regional "security Director" who advised me of our firm's policy on NO FIREARMS IN THE WORKPLACE, no violence in the workplace, and the importance of no intimidation or threats of any kind in the workplace.  

I also got a call from my North America division lead (who I knew quite well) because he was notified.  I was a little pissed about that call because he was asking me "why do you need a gun", "aren't you worried about your kids seeing them", etc, etc.   I played it cool and everything is fine, but I viewed that as the biggest intrusion/inappropriate part of the process.

The above situation is why I can see many people getting to the employer question and not taking their FID application any further.

(124gr9mm- Rest assured the calls received and your firearm ownership have all been duly noted in your company personnel file.)

29 minutes ago, Bomber said:

The above situation is why I can see many people getting to the employer question and not taking their FID application any further.

(124gr9mm- Rest assured the calls received and your firearm ownership have all been duly noted in your company personnel file.)

Oh I'm sure there's a copy of the form letter on file.  The former FBI guy confirmed it.

He also confirmed that it doesn't really have any significance as there's no flag for "firearms owner" or anything like that.  That's why it went to the moon and back before I talked to anyone.  They didn't quite know what to do with it.

I'm almost 20 years with the firm so i'm not really worried about it, but I absolutely agree with your sentiment that people would be scared away if they knew they'd have to have a conversation with their boss/leadership about owning guns.

Particularly if you're with a smaller or more vocal anti 2A company, it could be a very difficult conversation.

Hi Guys,

I am in Manalapan. I sent a follow up email to the Lieutenant in charge to follow up on permits after I knew they received the 2 reference email, State Police background check and payment for the permits and he responded in writing that It may take up to 6 months from the date of completed background check for permits to be issued.

Is this accurate?

Do I have any recourse?

It's been 2 months so far.

Thx

Rocco

7 minutes ago, mini30 said:

Hi Guys,

I am in Manalapan. I sent a follow up email to the Lieutenant in charge to follow up on permits after I knew they received the 2 reference email, State Police background check and payment for the permits and he responded in writing that It may take up to 6 months from the date of completed background check for permits to be issued.

Is this accurate?

Do I have any recourse?

Thx

Rocco

yep....it took me 3 and half months for my initial FID with an attorney sending threatening letters to the Highland Park Police. They gave in when my lawyer sent a letter that we were ready for court. The HPPD later blamed the state of Pennsylvania for the hold-up, not surprising that's the typical tactic used by anti-gun states like NJ, Illinois etc. NJ blames PA(and others) and Illinois blames Indiana, the anti-gun states always blame the pro-gun states that border them. It's their "Schtick"

Is this accurate?  um yeah it's NJ they do this on purpose because they hate you. They find the idea that you can or would protect yourself revolting. There people in Highland Park that got their permit in two weeks.

Do I have any recourse? Other than an attorney, not much. You can wait your time until they see fit to give you your permit. I assume you have a clean record, so they will issue it eventually.....

49 minutes ago, mini30 said:

Hi Guys,

I am in Manalapan. sent a follow up email to the Lieutenant in charge to follow up on permits, he responded in writing that It may take up to 6 months from the date of completed background check for permits to be issued.

I could be mistaken but isn't Manalapan is one of the towns notorious for dragging their feet on FID applications, I doubt it will take six months however but its possible.

Not much to do but wait and keep in contact with them.

Some have sent letters to their Chief of PD inquiring on the status of their FID application with mixed results. 

31 minutes ago, Bomber said:

I could be mistaken but isn't Manalapan is one of the towns notorious for dragging their feet on FID applications, I doubt it will take six months however but its possible.

Not much to do but wait and keep in contact with them.

Some have sent letters to their Chief of PD inquiring on the status of their FID application with mixed results. 

Don't know about Manalapan but I'm in neighboring Marlboro and it took me 5 months to get 4 permits. The PO that was handling the paperwork retired and on top of that the increased volume of applicants didn't help any. Now I gotta find a way to use these permits. 

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Buying a handgun is usually a good way to use a handgun purchase permit.

Thanks alot! One must fine handguns for sale first. I was hoping that all the buyers' remorse would be kicking in and find some like new, hardly used inventory for sale by now!

Guess I'll have to head down to Shooters or hawk the online sites some more.

49 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

Thanks alot! One must fine handguns for sale first. I was hoping that all the buyers' remorse would be kicking in and find some like new, hardly used inventory for sale by now!

I don't think all the newly minty firearm owners over the past year are going to be selling anytime soon.  More likely they are buying more.

On 5/9/2021 at 8:04 PM, mini30 said:

Hi Guys,

Is this accurate?

Do I have any recourse?

Thx

Rocco

I put in my application in November and I am STILL WAITING for Manalapan to send my FID and single handgun permit. I've emailed twice and gotten the six months reply. A guy on here also applied the same time as me and just got his recently so I may be soon. If you just applied 2 months ago think September in Manalapan. 

6 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

I put in my application in November and I am STILL WAITING for Manalapan to send my FID and single handgun permit. I've emailed twice and gotten the six months reply. A guy on here also applied the same time as me and just got his recently so I may be soon. If you just applied 2 months ago think September in Manalapan. 

Stop complaining here and send the letter, certified mail, to the Manalapan police chief.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:34 AM, DirtyDigz said:

Stop complaining here and send the letter, certified mail, to the Manalapan police chief.

He lives in a town the doesn't give a crap about letters. His PD knows N.J. courts have ruled they can take their sweet time on FID applications.

The panic gun buying has been going on for a year, obviously at this point excessively lengthy FID delays are deliberate. 

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, Bomber said:

He lives in a town the doesn't give a crap about letters. His PD knows N.J. courts have ruled they can take their sweet time on FID applications.

The panic gun buying has been going on for a year, obviously at this point excessively lengthy FID delays are deliberate. 

I live in an "obstructionist" town too; they dodged calls and emails for months. 

The letter worked.   ~30 days after I sent it, I had my permits.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:10 AM, Vtec45 said:

Applied for P2P April 22 references replied same day

did not received an email from njsp that the criminal history check was completed am I missing something?

You will get the NJSP Background check once you are fingerprinted.