Redeye65

Anyone play Golf

Mostly play around south Jersey, Eagle ridge, Lakewood CC, Sea Oaks, also have a place on NC, the wife and I play more down there, cost down in NC to play a round is dirt cheap. One course we play at is oyster bay, $30 gets you 18 holes with cart, breakfast and lunch with two draft beers.

General Harlan Bache : I know men younger than myself who have taken a pension, put on stupid little white shirts... cut off sleeves, alligator on the tit... and spent the rest of their days beating the hell out of a little white ball with an iron club. My God... the thought of it makes me want to puke.

I played a lot for 40+ years, several rounds a week, and practice hitting balls at the range and working on my short game.  I was able to achieve a decent level of proficiency, never great, handicap down to low single digits.  I played a lot of competition, state qualifiers and such, with only modest success. 

Eventually my game started to decline to the point where I lost interest, then just stopped playing altogether.  I didn't play for nearly 15 years until one day my wife, who had never played in her life, suggested that it might be a fun thing for us to do together.  So we started going to the driving range, and she took a few lessons.  Now we play once every week or two (in season) on a nine hole par 3 or executive course, then go out for food and cocktails.  We never keep score.  I find that I have made a new peace with golf, which I call "Golf Light."

BTW, I have observed similarities between shooting and golf, most notably that the more one's conscious brain gets involved, the worse the performance. 

My wife is also my golf partner, she picks the course we play by what she is in the mood to eat. When we got married I gave her the choice of either staying home alone on the weekend or let me teach you to play golf and come out with me. 

low single digit is impressive, best I got to was a 9 hdcp, and that was when I would play twice a week.  

• Like 1

Well...I attempt to okay golf.  When I first got engaged I would play with my soon to be father in law.  That lasted for a few years until kids came and getting away for 5-6 hours on a weekend day would have have a very costly decision.  I put the game down for about a decade.  

Two years ago I picked it back up.  Updated my irons and this past year played about 15 times and got fitted for a new driver and had my irons tweaked.   Whoever says playing with fitted clubs is a waste of money has never tried playing with the right equipment.  My scores dropped 15 strokes almost immediately and now hover in the mid 80s.

already bought a club membership for this year that includes range balls, so I’m hoping to get my game into the high 70s before the end of the dog the year.   so what’s everyone playing equipment wise?

mine are Cleveland irons, vokey sm7 wedges, anser putter, TSi3 driver and m6 3W.  Ball is still up for debate but I crap ton of calls away super soft for this year...

It’s amazing what fitted clubs will do for your game. 

Pro tip: when you go to the driving range, bring ONE CLUB ONLY to that session. Whatever the ‘club of the day’ is...bring it, and leave everything else at home. 
It forces you to concentrate on learning to hit THAT club. No temptations to switch when you get frustrated. 

Thats what my college coach used to make us do. 

29 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

It’s amazing what fitted clubs will do for your game. 

Pro tip: when you go to the driving range, bring ONE CLUB ONLY to that session. Whatever the ‘club of the day’ is...bring it, and leave everything else at home. 
It forces you to concentrate on learning to hit THAT club. No temptations to switch when you get frustrated. 

Thats what my college coach used to make us do. 

Thanks for the tip.

Fitted clubs helped me also, 2 degrees down stopped me from digging the heel. My gear is about 7 years old now. Mizuno irons with 1/4” oversized grips, super lite shafts. Driver is a ping g30, 2-3-4 ping g30 hybrids, no fairway woods, the 2 hybrid I hit much better than a 3 wood. Settled on the Calloway chrome soft balls, soft feel and very nice control. Pro-v’s feel like I’m hitting stones.  Switched to a counter balanced putter 5 years ago from a mallet, that helped my putting greatly. 

Pro tip #2. Read a book called ‘Combat Golf’. 

Written by an ex-mil special forces guy. It’s out of print but you can usually find it on the used market.
The principles are fairly simple. 
The military teaches you to do small things at first, in order to give you confidence to do big things. Master the small things, and you’ll master the bigger things. 

One of my favorite drills in that book is about putting, and it’s a great example. 

Every evening, set up in your house a 2’ putt. The idea is to hit 100 in a row. When you do, you’re done for the night. 
When you learn to hit 100 in a row for 4-5 days straight, move back to 3’. And so on. 

The idea is that mechanically, there is no difference between a 2’ putt and a 10’ putt. 
Obviously this leaves out the variables of reading a green, but the MECHANICS are all the same. 

Pro tip #3

Address the ball EXACTLY the same way each and EVERY time you set up your shot. 
If you waggle your ass 3 times before lining up the shot, then by God, waggle your ass 3x EVERY DAMN TIME you address the ball. Whatever your particular ritual is, do the same thing every time. 

The mechanics of golf is much about muscle memory and developing consistency. Consistency comes from performing the same rituals every time you address the ball. I know this sounds stupid, but it works. 

Be consistent. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, rifleman said:

Golf doesn't seem that difficult. Never tried it, I might be the best golfer in the world. If the holes were moving at 43 MPH, I could still hit 23 with one putt or whatever the first shot is called.

You might just be. 

With the weather warming up, is anyone getting the itch to play yet?

I took my oldest for a lesson at Neshanic Learning Academy this past Sunday and now I have the bug to play.  Since its becoming costly to shoot as frequently as I'd like, I've started surfing golf sites looking at new irons and bags.   Crazy how a set of high end clubs is now the same price as 2 cases of 9mm...