GramGun79

Any Marlin 1895 experts?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/890731196

I bought this exact Marlin 1895 a few years back. My kids are huge Jurassic Park fans and when they saw the Marlin featured in one of the movies i figured it would be cool to get one.                   In 2017 i paid $830 brand new. I happen to be on gun broker and came across a few listings and it seems like they have increased in value substantially. Does anyone know the reasoning? I know guns are getting a premium in the current environment but some of these listings are nearly 3 times what i paid. 

Marlin was sold to Remington at some point, Remington made them go down in Quality, Remington went under taking Marlin with them. They are no longer made, therefore more in demand. 

Some were also limited production calibers or other features such as octagon barrels, special finishes and such.

I think Ruger bought Marlin in the Remington bankruptcy. It remains to be seen if they bring back the Marlin lever actions.

JM stamped Marlins are selling for big bucks because they were the last true Marlins.  The prices have been creeping up steadily ever since Remington bought out Marlin.  The Remlins, as they are known among Marlin aficionados were terrible in the beginning but the bugs eventually got worked out, mostly, but they were still redheaded step children and as such did not fetch the prices JM stamped guns demand.  Now that Ruger owns the Marlin name, even the redheaded bastard Remlins are increasing in value.

A similar fate happened to Winchester when they cheapened their bolt action & lever guns in 1964. Anything "pre-64 Winchester" commands a premium today. 

Sad too that Savage 99's went out of production. A clearly superior lever gun incorporating a novel rotary magazine allowing controlled-round feed for spitzer bullets, with a striker-fired action that could handle high-pressure bottleneck cartridges. It was ahead of its time. 

Luckily there's plenty of JM Marlin's out there still. 

Ruger bought Marlin from the Remington sale.  This is an absolutely wonderful thing.  During the SHOT Show live stream with Maks, the Ruger rep said they're tooling up and starting to build Marlins at the Ruger factory.  Marlin will be keeping the name and the heritage - just  being made by people who actually care now.  

New Ruger-made Marlins should be out later this year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Ruger bought Marlin from the Remington sale.  This is an absolutely wonderful thing.  During the SHOT Show live stream with Maks, the Ruger rep said they're tooling up and starting to build Marlins at the Ruger factory.  Marlin will be keeping the name and the heritage - just  being made by people who actually care now.  

That is great news. I look forward to buying an 1895 from them. 45-70 has been my latest reloading obsession.

16 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

The playing field becomes muddied even more; Marlin's, then Remlin's, now Ruglin's!