Dooly

Next new build: .458 Socom?

For my next new build, anyone have any personal experience with AR builds in .458 Socom?  In "other firearm" type?

Other than the cost of ammo, anyone have any advice or things I should look out for or be mindful of when scouting for parts/systems?

I'm doing this for fun so no other true purpose. ...maybe home defense against godzilla or king Kong but that's about it.  ....and so I can have a 30rd 5.56 magazines as it can only hold 10 rds of the .458...   lol

I know its kind of silly but any other thoughts on building out a .458 Socom?

Thanks!

I think ammo price is the thing that keeps most people from building one.  In pre-COVID times that could be mitigated a bit if you reload, but for the foreseeable future I think it will be an expensive gun to shoot.

With that said, for a "different" gun that you're building for fun/plinking I think its a great choice.

39 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I think ammo price is the thing that keeps most people from building one.  In pre-COVID times that could be mitigated a bit if you reload, but for the foreseeable future I think it will be an expensive gun to shoot.

With that said, for a "different" gun that you're building for fun/plinking I think its a great choice.

Different for sure!  Haha

SmartSelect_20210209-195008_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

The biggest negative on the 45 caliber AR's are the magazines. I have a 450 Bushmaster and regular AR mags are very unreliable unless they are the old style 20rd mags. I wouldn't use the regular 5.56 follower in a 45 caliber AR unless you are just plinking and don't care about feed issues. I know that the 458 is more tapered than the 450 Bushmaster but they use the same mags. Save yourself the headache and use the correct mags (or switch out the followers). They are fun to shoot and I prefer a big slow heavy bullet for most of my purposes.

3 hours ago, Dooly said:

Thanks.  So you're referring to the milsurp stanag/nato mags over pmags/modern day mags, correct?

I want the highest level of reliability for whatever I'm doing. Feeding/extraction issues make my toes cringe.  

I am referring to the ones styled like the original USGI 20rd mags without a curved body.