bdb777

Lopatcong greetings

Hi all. I mainly joined for more information on starting the process of getting fid card, and just to see what activities and ranges are in my neck of the words here in northwest NJ.

By way of background i grew up in  rural Oklahoma and a highlight of my tween years were doing what we called  a"leadwasters convention".. A few young men and my dad and other older guys would go out in the country and have a blast shooting 22, pistols, throwing and shooting clay pigeons, etc. ( targets ranged from tin cans, hot wheels, and my favorite, smurf figurines that were the free toys from happy meals circa mid 80's, and watermelons :))

Fast forward a decade or so and in graduate school in az as well as my postdoc in Colorado, I picked up the tradition again, going with some friends  into the desert to plink around, this time with my own 9mm pistol, my trusty bolt action marlin 22 and 20 guage shotgun..

Then I moved to new Jersey.. Naively bringing my guns, completely unaware of how radically different this state was..I was made aware of it by my (I now fully realize) ULTRA LIBERAL cousin. [Record scratch sound]

My parents happened to be visiting at the time and I somewhat freaked out and had my dad take my guns back...  luckily I hadn't tried to go shooting or driven around with then at all.. Sigh

I still haven't asked for those back, but in the meantime life happened (got married and have 3 kids!)

Now that the youngest is out of diapers and zhou bai-den aka President asterisk is in office,I have decided that I'd like to get in on the "AR revolution" and get some kind of pistol caliber carbine before it's completely illegal (hoping the pundits are right that crazy maxines hr127 proposal will never see the light of day)... Hence the Google searches on what I need to do to properly own a gun here in nj and finding y'all in this fine forum

Fwiw I'm looking at the troy A4, in no small part because I live really close to tech ops in pburg and everything I read made it seem it would deff be legal in nj.. I had been looking at cmmg resolute 200, but couldn't tell if they would be able to sell an nj compliant version.

I'm hoping techops will have a4 on display I could look at, im pretty ignorant on the mechanics of these, quit a bit diff from the semiauto rugets of 20-30 yrs ago...

I took my oldest son to heritage Guild in Easton for his 10th bday in late Jan, was a first for both of us.. I.have to say I enjoy my lead wasters experience better :-P but it was fun introducing him to shooting. They unfortunately were unable to rent a similar ar style 9 mm (was unavailable) so I only have had a chance to shoot a ruger 22  that was ar style (charging bolt,etc). I'm hoping to still go back and try the 9 before buying one of my own.. Realizing now I (ideally) have 30 days after completion of steps before I could but a gun as well as the likely backordered status,I suspect I will have time.

It would be fun to meet with like minded individuals (I saw posts about meetups at sbux in pburg, precovid) and hope I could join if they start back up again, though with three young kids their extracurricular activities Chew up a lot of time:/

Is reassuring to read and see how many like minded folks are around and look forward to my time here. Cheers

Hi and welcome to the titillating world of shooting sports in a very anti-2A state! Had you decided to move just a few miles west you could have had so many more fun things! :( I shot at Heritage Guild a few times, it's a nice place! I'm from Morris County, so a bit far from you but hope to see you on the range one day!

2 hours ago, bdb777 said:

Hi all. I mainly joined for more information on starting the process of getting fid card.

Make sure your record is squeaky clean before submitting the FID application.

No arrests, convictions, electro-shock therapy treatments by a psychiatrist that you've forgotten about.

Welcome.

I would start by getting your firearms back from your father that the was holding for you.  Just make sure they are NJ legal and have 10 rounds mags once they are brought to NJ.  And no, there is no reason to register them with the police.  

The application process isn't difficult but is burdensome.  It shouldn't even exists if you want my humble opinion.  Especially since they run the exact same mental health & criminal background checks at the point of sale that they run when you apply for your Firearms Purchaser Identification Card.  And having two non-family member "vouch" for your character is absurd.  What other rigth enumerated in the Constitution requires someone elses approval for you to exercise it??  Don't get me started....

They really just want to make it cumbersome so people don't bother applying.  2020 took care of that.  Close to 425k appliations last year!  Up about 4x prior year.

Again, welcome to the forum.

36 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

And having two non-family member "vouch" for your character is absurd.  

Not from the State's point of view.

As far as they're concerned if it discourages just one person from applying for an FID it's all worth it.

• Agree 1

Welcome to the forums, submit your application and prepare to wait months. Depending on your town you submit in, you can be waiting anywhere from 30-180 days for the FID card. Most also submit multiple P2P while their at it, might as well wait for a couple hand gun permits at the same time. Good luck and enjoy the forums.  

Welcome aboard!  And welcome to this hellhole of a state that we call home.  Lots of good people and great info available on these boards.  You are wise to carefully study the labyrinthine NJ gun laws that are designed to trap innocent people.  Keep in mind that every transgression in this state is a felony.

On a lighter note, "lead waster's conventions" have gotten to be pretty expensive these days!

14 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

Welcome to the forums, submit your application and prepare to wait months. Depending on your town you submit in, you can be waiting anywhere from 30-180 days for the FID card. Most also submit multiple P2P while their at it, might as well wait for a couple hand gun permits at the same time. Good luck and enjoy the forums.  

Just to clarify, and I looked again, I only have to submit that one form? How/where is the mental health form?

Thanks

It's included with your FID application, you checked off giving them permission to do the background check.

One form for the FID card, and you would have needed to add another check if you wanted handgun P2P permits and then choose how many you were requesting.

The state/local PD will automatically check your mental health background.