bossnagy

Handgun Hunting

I've been wanting more of a challenge when going deer hunting in New York state.  I'm not into archery and don't have a muzzleloader, but I do have a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum with a Leupold scope on it.  Unfortunately, it is very bright silver.  Any thoughts on what direction I could go?  Hydrodipping, cerakote, rattle can or just grab the rifle and give in?

22 minutes ago, bossnagy said:

I've been wanting more of a challenge when going deer hunting in New York state.  I'm not into archery and don't have a muzzleloader, but I do have a Ruger Redhawk 44 magnum with a Leupold scope on it.  Unfortunately, it is very bright silver.  Any thoughts on what direction I could go?  Hydrodipping, cerakote, rattle can or just grab the rifle and give in?

The silver handgun will not make one bit of difference. Movement and scent are what gives you away when hunting deer (which is what I assume you are speaking about). I find it very difficult to hunt with a scope on my handgun. I prefer open sights and keep my shots within 30 yards (I prefer within 25 yards and closer). Keep the distances within your personal abilities and you should have no problem.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, bossnagy said:

Hopefully you are a p/t resident and landowner in NY and possess a NY pistol permit which denotes “hunting” as an exception for carry. 

Set up a ground blind near where the deer come in.

This past fall the deer I took (a doe) originally came in at 15-20 feet of my ground blind.  I actually had to wait for it to move further away so I could take it.  The 30/30 I was using had a scope on it.  Even dialed down, at 15-20 feet all I would have seen was a large patch of brown.  

Scent control and remaining as still as possible are the key.  Even after it had moved out to 50 or so feet I moved in EXTREMELY slow motion.  This was after hunting for two days during buck season (in PA) the prior week without seeing a thing and on the second, and last day, to use my doe tag.  

Could have easly have taken the deer with a 44 Magnum when it was so close.

Few year back I was hunting the same property.  No blind.  I was hunkered down next to a small mound over looking a cornfield.  Next property over a hunter walked along the fence line.  I just had a feeling he would bump somthing out.  Sure enough, few minutes later three nice size does came running across the corn field.  There was a barb wire fence separating the corn field from the unkept area I was in.  I was probably 30 feet from the fence.  The lead doe were about to jump the fence right into my lap!  Last second the lead doe saw or sensed me and moved further up the fence line to jump there.  Didn't have a doe license that year.  But would have been EASY to take one of the does with a handgun.  Again, I was out in the open.  Perfectly still.  Deer don't see the way we do.  Patience and being as still as possible are key.  Unless you are up in tree.  Then just dont' make noise or move excessively.

Good luck.

20210220_234843.jpg