Old School

Were You Surprised

Just now, JC_68Westy said:

Are you in panic mode yet? Need more...

I just got back into reloading so as not to touch my stash of factory ammo.  6,700 is the most I ever had so I'm cool to leave it alone. If I did get a chance, I would buy another case of SPPs just to help out others here. I'm down to 600 primers for 5.56 so I would get some of those as well.

3 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I just got back into reloading so as not to touch my stash of factory ammo.  6,700 is the most I ever had so I'm cool to leave it alone. If I did get a chance, I would buy another case of SPPs just to help out others here. I'm down to 600 primers for 5.56 so I would get some of those as well.

U need srp?

Trade?

27 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I have some SRP but I'm afraid of slam fire and I found 700 or so CCI 41s that I forgot I had.  What are your thoughts about SRPs for 5.56 in an AR? 

Ensure proper seating depth.....no issues...in 5.56 and or 30 cal...  ;)

I have crap load of srp..i will NEVER use....would trade for lrp spp lpp.

50 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I have some SRP but I'm afraid of slam fire and I found 700 or so CCI 41s that I forgot I had.  What are your thoughts about SRPs for 5.56 in an AR? 

21 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Ensure proper seating depth.....no issues...in 5.56 and or 30 cal...  ;)

I have crap load of srp..i will NEVER use....would trade for lrp spp lpp.

@JohnnyB I've exclusively used std CCI srp in 223 for over 45 years. Nothing else. NEVER ANY PROBLEM.

Do what @CAL. .30 M1 says.  I've always hand primed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

@JohnnyB I've exclusively used std CCI srp in 223 for over 45 years. Nothing else. NEVER ANY PROBLEM.

Do what @CAL. .30 M1 says.  I've always hand primed.

Thanks @GRIZ I have been hand priming my 5.56 and .223 but you have bigger paws than I do! I was thinking about doing them on my progressive press but still do rifle rounds on my single stage.  I get blisters from hand priming when I do too many at a time but I guess its worth it knowing that every primer is properly seated.:)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I know you have met and shook hands with @GRIZ as I have . I don't think he would ever get blisters with those paws!:lol:

Yeah @JohnnyB but I have short fingers.  The hand and finger muscles were developed long ago in my teens (like 100 years ago) when I was doing Karate and Gung Fu.  Helped me learning how to shoot.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I'm sure the Army vaccinated me for that!!!

I remember in Navy boot camp they gave us a huge needle shot in the butt cheek, called a "B" shot if I remember right. Left a knot in your ass for days but cured everything!:lol:

@Displaced Texan can chime in if my facts are wrong or they stopped giving those shots after 1976 when I got mine!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I remember in Navy boot camp they gave us a huge needle shot in the butt cheek, called a "B" shot if I remember right. Left a knot in your ass for days but cured everything!:lol:

@Displaced Texan can chime in if my facts are wrong or they stopped giving those shots after 1976 when I got mine!

The "B shot" probably vaccinated you against 20 diseases for the rest of your life!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Thanks @GRIZ I have been hand priming my 5.56 and .223 but you have bigger paws than I do! I was thinking about doing them on my progressive press but still do rifle rounds on my single stage.  I get blisters from hand priming when I do too many at a time but I guess its worth it knowing that every primer is properly seated.:)

I have bulk loaded hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of 5.56 on my hornady lnl with NO issues....as long as case prep is good.....you can easily feel the primer seat perfectly....

Try it!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I’ll never forget that one. My asscheek was sore for a week!!  

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:47 AM, Scorpio64 said:

Can't say I was surprised, but did not anticipate the severity.

That's true for me as well.  I have a decent stash, but not enough to last forever.  I would have even more, but I've been concerned about how I'm going to transport and store all of it when we downsize our housing. 

I use the k&m hand primer for .223, its gets a bit taxing by the 500th case. 

Since I had to remove the crimp at the primer pocket, I like the feel I get with hand priming to know I swaged enough. 

Once the brass goes through a cycle I have no issues priming on the press. But I got a couple cases stuck in the press from primers not seating fully due to the crimp no fully removed.

I like to process my brass, and prime it. Then it all goes into a can ready for powder and bullet when I get around to it. This way I can load small batches, but process the brass in large lots. 

• Agree 1