Sniper

Conservative Radio Legend Rush Limbaugh Dead At 70

Just breaking...

Conservative radio icon Rush Limbaugh has died at the age of 70 following a battle with lung cancer, his wife Kathryn announced on his radio show.

rush%201a.PNG?itok=Ards_Ztv

Limbaugh was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer in January 2020. Days later, he was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the State of the Union Address - America's highest civilian honor - which former First Lady Melania Trump presented to him.

"Rush Limbaugh: Thank you for your decades of tireless devotion to our country," said Trump during the address.

• Sad 3

I was in radio broadcasting in the 70's, so I (and Mrs. 45Doll) knew a fair amount about the industry.

After FM radio started playing music, AM radio went basically down the tubes. And stayed there. It's not an exaggeration to say that Rush single handedly resurrected AM radio from the grave, and made it more useful than ever.

My wife was on the road in the NY area the first day he went live nationally (August 1988?) and was on (I believe) WABC. That night she burst through the front door and blurted out "I heard a guy on the radio today who sounded just like you if you had stayed in!".

That was an exaggeration in hindsight; I would never have been another Rush Limbaugh. But what she meant was she finally heard someone in broadcasting (in ANY medium!) who sounded like the way we thought. And that was absolutely true.

He was indeed unique. And a treasure for this country, and conservatism.

I made up my mind today that I will never be silenced in defense of the founding principles of this country, or its greatness. In his honor.

And in fact, it's long past time to go on offense.

• Like 4

Update on who's taking over his 3 hour time slot:

......"Conservative pundit Dan Bongino will take over the late Rush Limbaugh's coveted three-hour airtime slot across several major markets, according to Cumulus Media Inc's Westwood One.

Following Limbaugh's death last month, most stations have been filling the void by playing reruns of old episodes. Limbaugh, the most listened to radio host in the United States, reached over 20 million monthly listeners across over 650 affiliates, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Bongino, a former Secret Service agent and NYPD officer who has his own popular podcast, has become a rising star in conservative media. He will fill the three-hour slot in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, and Washington, DC, while most other stations will continue to air old tapes of the show.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/dan-bongino-fill-rush-limbaughs-airtime-major-markets