gleninjersey

What Surprised New Gun Owners The Most?

The last year has seen a dramatic increase in gun sales across not only the country but also New Jersey.

More than one or two new gun owners in NJ have found their way here.

I, and probably others, am curious to know what surprised you most about becoming a firearm owner in NJ.  Has the way you thought about guns and gun laws chaged at all?  Where there any prior ideas you had about guns, gun owners and gun laws that ended up being entirely untrue or completly true?

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

20 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

The last year has seen a dramatic increase in gun sales across not only the country but also New Jersey.

I, and probably others, am curious to know what surprised you most about becoming a firearm owner in NJ.  Has the way you thought about guns and gun laws chaged at all?  Where there any prior ideas you had that you guns, gun owners and gun laws that ended up being entirely untrue or completly true?

I bought my 1st gun in May of last year. I always wanted one but honestly just kind of put it off. I think the thing that surprised me was how long it took to get permits and get my gun. I have a clean favou record and figured it would be obly a few weeks.

I never thought id enjoy shooting as much as I do. I see it being a life long hobby as long as our government allows it. 

As far as gun laws go i think nj gun laws are terribly dumb as well as their self defense laws. This state is lame and as soon as the wifey finishes her masters ill hopefully be on my way out. 

• Like 1

My views changed considerably.

1). why would anyone need to own an AR-15, it really is just an efficient tool, not the bad black sheep the media makes it out to be. Now I think, everyone should own one. 

2). never understood why one person would need more than 100 rounds of ammo. Now I’m nervous with only having 1600 rounds of .45 acp. 

3). why does anyone need a gun, once I felt someone could possible tell me I couldn’t own one to protect my family, I couldn’t sit back and take that mentality.  Now I feel, everyone should be armed. 

4). why does anyone need more than one gun, it is no different than any other hobby, I have multiple golf driver, I have 6 different golf balls I use, I have multiple bowling balls for different types of lanes. I have multiple guns for different uses  

5). laws! We’re a needed thing and correct to be implemented. Now, Jesus Christ is an adjustable stock really an evil thing, I look more closely at politicians and their stand on the second amendment while researching. 

you could say my views on guns have done almost a complete 360. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Redeye65 said:

5). laws! We’re a needed thing and correct to be implemented. Now, Jesus Christ is an adjustable stock really an evil thing, I look more closely at politicians and their stand on the second amendment while researching. 

you could say my views on guns have done almost a complete 360. 

20210221_221914.jpg

Seriously, the adjustable stock thing drives me nuts.  Lets say for arguements sake that adjustable stocks can only be adusted to three different lengths.  So I can have three different ARs with adjustable stocks pinned at the three different lengths (one at each lenght) but I can't have one rifle with a stock that adjusts to the same three different lengths?  WHY!!!!!????

The politicans say it's because the rifle would be too concealible.  But then why allow it to be pinned at the shortest lenght at all!!!  

Theoretically the NJ pinned stock law could be responsible for people buying MORE guns.  Imagine a married couple agree that an AR would be an ideal firearm for their needs.  The husband is six feet tall and 225 pounds and the wire is barely over five feet tall and, we'll we won't dicusss a lady's weight but lets just assume she ways A LITTLE less then her husband.  Guess what, they will need to have two ARs due the length of pull being so different for the two of them.  Great going NJ gun laws!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I, and probably others, am curious to know what surprised you most about becoming a firearm owner in NJ.  Has the way you thought about guns and gun laws chaged at all?  Where there any prior ideas you had that you guns, gun owners and gun laws that ended up being entirely untrue or completly true?

Really good topic, hope to read some insight from the new owners, hope all the owners and new members come out and share in the conversations.

• Agree 1

When I first moved back to NJ (left with my family when I was a kid) I was talking about firearms at my office.  This was around the late 90s.  One of my co-workers just laughed and said it was going to cost me hundreds of dollars just to apply for a firearm.  I had just moved back and assumed he knew what he was talking about (he didn't).  So I never pursued it.

I didn't purchase my first firearm for almost another 15 years after that.  And it was after the Newton shooting when the government was threatening to regulate firearms move heavily.  It's interesting that the threat of government regulation really makes people run out to buy guns.  That and the realization that with a pandemic, nation wide riots, calls to defund the police and a possible (now a reality) anti-2A President that you, the common citizen, may be resonsbile for defending yourself has made gun sales sky rocket.  The reality is that you were ALWAYS responsible for your safety.  The police are not legally responsible to protect you.  They are there to take reports, investigate and make arrrests AFTER the fact.  No knock on 99% of the cops out there.  But it's the truth.  You are your own first responder.

One of the other things I found shocking back then as new gun owner is how some towns make up their own rules.  One of my friends applied for their FID and a pistol permit.  Their town demanded that myself and the other personal reference appear before them to be interviewed about our friends application.  They even demanded that I had to show my driver's licence and take a copy of it.  Completly NOT required.  I was shocked.  They wouldn't process the application until we were interveiwed.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I bought my 1st gun in May of last year. I always wanted one but honestly just kind of put it off. I think the thing that surprised me was how long it took to get permits and get my gun. I have a clean favou record and figured it would be obly a few weeks.

I never thought id enjoy shooting as much as I do. I see it being a life long hobby as long as our government allows it. 

As far as gun laws go i think nj gun laws are terribly dumb as well as their self defense laws. This state is lame and as soon as the wifey finishes her masters ill hopefully be on my way out. 

Prior to starting the FID application process were you familiar with NJ's requirements and process?  What did you think was required of you to purchase a firearm before you began investigating the process?

21 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Really good topic, hope to read some insight from the new owners, hope all the owners and new members come out and share in the conversations.

We were all "new gun owners" at one time.  NJ doesn't make it easy and some could say that NJ intentionally makes it difficult.

I just shared my story about purchasing my first firearm in NJ.  It's a bit old but I think it still serves to show that if your aren't into firearms then you have little to no idea of what the reality is for purchasing one in NJ.

I think many people in NJ who had never thought about purchasing a firearm before the events of the last year or who didn't have a firearm owner in their immediate circle of friends and family were probably shocked that they couldn't just walk into a gun store and purchase one.  And I think that's exactly why right now is a great time to have convesations with first time gun buyers.

Not a newb.  But my issues are  # 1 No flash hider You got to be kidding me.

# 2  limited capacity mags  They should standard capacity 30

# 3Pinned stock  makes no sense 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, gleninjersey said:

One of my friends applied for their FID and a pistol permit.  Their town demanded that myself and the other personal reference appear before them to be interviewed about our friends application.  They even demanded that I had to show my driver's licence and take a copy of it.  Completly NOT required.  I was shocked.  They wouldn't process the application until we were interveiwed.

No way in hell would I submit to an interview with the cops unless I'm under arrest and have my attorney present.

He should have contacted a firearms attorney when they tried pulling that crap.

But this is how local PD's bully and intimidate FID applicants who are babes in the woods and unfamiliar with the process. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

We were all "new gun owners" at one time.  NJ doesn't make it easy and some could say that NJ intentionally makes it difficult.

Although I'm not exactly ancient, there was a period of my life I can call the good old days when it comes to guns.  My first gun was a gift from my dad, an old as hell Savage 311A SxS that kicks like a mule.  Shooting high brass hunting loads was painful.  I took my hunters ed course, passed and dad handed me a shotgun.  No FPID, no background check, no finger prints. 

Technically, I was a Fudd.  I had no interest in guns beyond ducks, geese and clays.  I only ever took the gun hunting on a river across the street from my house, and occasionally skeet shooting to warm up for hunting season.  Without even realizing it, I was operating within the confines of NJ's only slightly retarded laws back then.

When I'd go on a hunt, I'd gear up in camo, put on my ammo belt, grab my gun and walk across the street.  It was just normal.

Fast forward a few years, I decided to by a pump action.  No real hassle, had to get a FPID, filled out paperwork, and in spite of my PD only having  9 cops, two detectives and a chief, I had my FPID in ten days.  Went and bought an 870 Express, and then back to business as usual.

I only became surprised after the first AWB, then NJ's insistence on holding on to it after the sunset, how I learned what a RINO was when Whitman was elected, and how far NJ has fallen in the US ranking for freedom.  I have been surprised so many times that I'm no longer surprised at anything NJ does.  Surprise has evolved into disgust.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I only became surprised after the first AWB, then NJ's insistence on holding on to it after the sunset.

Thanks to Gov. Jim (flim-flam) Florio N.J. got it's own AWB in 1990, four years before Clinton's 1994 AWB. He rammed it through his first year in office as the dems always do with unpopular legislation hoping voters will forget.

In fact, the national AWB was modeled on the N.J. version.

Florio was bounced out after one term but the AWB remains, which the old bastard remains quite proud of BTW.

8 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Look at it from the Rulers point of view:

#1 when Leo responds to a physco sniper in the bushes they must be able to see a flash to locate the shooter. A flash hider would prevent that by rendering the flash invisible.

#2 when Leo responds to a physco shooter anywhere all they need to do is count off 10 shots fired and can then rush the shooter because everyone knows it takes several minutes to reload and the shooters lawful mags only hold 10 rds.

#3 just pure harassment or too stupid to know OAL already makes concealment unlikely.

9 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Prior to starting the FID application process were you familiar with NJ's requirements and process?  What did you think was required of you to purchase a firearm before you began investigating the process?

I was familiar with it as far as needing 2 sources and fingerprints. I knew guns in nj were taboo for most people. The thing that surprised me was how long it took (and I was in a camp that is probably considered a short turnaround.). I have a spotless record, I assumed it would be under 30 days living in my town.

As far as guns go, not much changed for me after I started owning any. I just EVERY gun owner was as responsible as most are. The reckless ones keep ruining everyone's image when most people just want to be able to go to the range, relax, and have fun. And I already knew we had politicians making laws about things they know nothing about. We've got people with no military experience trying to tell the military how to budget and run things, we have people making policy on science even though they probably barely passed high school science, we have people making laws about construction when they probably haven't even ever made a bird house much less an actual building. Why would gun legislation be any different?

• Agree 3

I'm not a new gun owner. However, I am new (as of 2020) to purchasing guns (and ammo) as a NJ resident.

I moved to NJ in 2016 knowing the gun laws in NJ sucked. I had to go through the painful process of verifying everything I owned and was brining with me into NJ was legal to own in NJ. This included me whittling a few pistols out of my collection that in their natural unadulterated state used magazines with more than 15 rounds, just because you know... eh... regrets. Now of course all the remaining15 rounders have been neutered to 10. It hurts so much more when things get even worse.

I kinda put my shooting hobby on the back burner for a bit. Being a NJ resident in reality sorta demotivated me towards it. But damn, it's kinda one of my "things". Well F* you NJ. I'm back into it. I'm one of the lucky ones. My town seems pretty 2A friendly. The local PD has never given me any trouble with FID or pistol permits. However, the process is painful, and sad. Oh, how I do miss the days of walking into an LGS and seeing something I liked and just buying it there and walking out 20 minutes later. The fact that anyone can be grateful it only takes 30 days to be allowed to exercise a constitutionally protected right is a sad state of affairs indeed.

• Agree 5

My views haven't really changed, since I always thought the restrictions on magazine sizes and such were ridiculous, but I was shocked that a supposedly "instant" N"I"CS check took 6 days!  After I already had to wait almost 2 months for my FID!

• Informative 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/22/2021 at 6:59 AM, siderman said:

Look at it from the Rulers point of view:

#1 when Leo responds to a physco sniper in the bushes they must be able to see a flash to locate the shooter. A flash hider would prevent that by rendering the flash invisible.

#2 when Leo responds to a physco shooter anywhere all they need to do is count off 10 shots fired and can then rush the shooter because everyone knows it takes several minutes to reload and the shooters lawful mags only hold 10 rds.

#3 just pure harassment or too stupid to know OAL already makes concealment unlikely.

Gotta remember that psycho might have that most evil of things, Oh My, That dastardly! BAYONET LUG!!!!!  When was the last time in the news did you hear of a shooting downgrade to a bayonet attack??? Maybe with a Garand?? Or perhaps with that most illegal of weapons the M1 Carbine!!!  You know that weapon of WAR!!! with the bayonet lug!!! and the small cartridge! LOL.

1 hour ago, fihe said:

My views haven't really changed, since I always thought the restrictions on magazine sizes and such were ridiculous, 

Thats part and parcel of the commie psychological humiliation process.

Rubbing your nose in it by forcing compliance with ridiculous rules and mandates.

On 2/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, silverado427 said:

No bayonet lug, Ya gotta be kidding!! When was the last time there was a mass killing with a bayonet????

• Agree 1

When I was a newbie I was AMAZED at how friendly most gun owners were.  Complete strangers from this forum willing to meet another stranger at the range to let me try their guns.  Or strangers at the range willing  to do same.

And so much friendly advice.  

I think the stereotypical image of most gunowners is completely wrong.  I've found them very friendly and willing to share their knowledge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

Wow, love the topic of this thread.  

Theoretical Model as a New Parent:

I was surprised when the Mrs. thought she was going to decide whether or not Ruger and Smith were being adopted and how hard and how long the adoption process actually was with permits required 9 month 30 day waiting periods, twins and triplets not allowed, background check copay, etc.   I was also surprised when the sticker price seemed like it was roughly only about 50% of the total initial cost and then that I hadn't adequately planned for the cost to feed it for the next 18 or so years.   Then much to my surprise  I realized with the family growing I needed a bigger house.  But what surprised me the most, initially, was when the inanimate object sat there securely for days, not a peep, days on end and didn't jump up on its own and start going off as a  rebellious teen. 

Now, I have to wait weeks on end for visitation range rights.  

• Haha 3

I've been following different gun forums for many years, but finally became a gun owner myself last year.

Here's the order of things that surprised me:

1. That you actually need FPID/permits to buy guns in NJ. I thought that everywhere outside NYC, CA, etc. was a free country :D
  2. The price of guns. The last time I looked at AKs, WASR-10s were like $300 a piece. Good luck getting any AK under $1000 now.
  3. Ammo: you need lots of it, it's hard to find (maybe special circumstance), and owning too many different calibers is a PITA.
  4. Many of the guns I thought I liked for the last ~10-15 years weren't what I actually ended up buying.
  5. Huge reality shift: lots of time thinking strategically about gun storage and access for home defense.
  6. People bringing kids to gun stores. I understand kids need to learn gun safety and parents might not have a choice, but it still weirded me out.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1