gleninjersey

What Surprised New Gun Owners The Most?

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

People bringing kids to gun stores. I understand kids need to learn gun safety and parents might not have a choice, but it still weirded me out.

It's only weird if people like Underdog try to trade them in for different ones. :shok:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

People bringing kids to gun stores. I understand kids need to learn gun safety and parents might not have a choice, but it still weirded me out.

When I was a kid, every store (okay, maybe not EVERY store) was a gun store.  K-mart (aka Kresge's for the old timers), Sears, JC Penny, hardware etc.  Guns and ammo in department and hardware stores was normal.

• Agree 2

On 2/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, silverado427 said:

Not a newb.  But my issues are  # 1 No flash hider You got to be kidding me.

# 2  limited capacity mags  They should standard capacity 30

# 3Pinned stock  makes no sense 

What you have a NJ conceal carry permit? No one here has mentioned the elephant in the room, NO CONCEAL CARRY!! My issues are:

1. NO CONCEAL CARRY

2. NO CONCEAL CARRY

3. NO CONCEAL CARRY

The flash hiders, pinned stocks are accessories that are subordinate to the interests of self-defense as you will never use deploy them outside the home. Capacity, I agree with you as we should not be limited to a mere 10 rounds to protect ourselves and loved ones. Our lives should not be worth less than that of a NJ LEO period! Still the fact remains though that the likelihood of having to defend yourself outside the home is greater than inside the home! The de-facto ban on CCW in this state is the greatest threat we face. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

It's only weird if people like Underdog try to trade them in for different ones. :shok:

The highlight of the Christmas holiday each year for us in the early 60's was a trip to NYC. Of course, we always did the FAO Schwarz tour to look at toys, but my father and I couldn't wait to visit the Abercrombie & Fitch and Holland & Holland stores. Those are days long gone. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, EdF said:

I SOLD guns at K-Mart while in high school and college . . . 

I bought my first 22LR rifle at K-mart. Walked in off the street, showed my DL, and walked out of the store with the rifle and ammo.

• Like 4

My Mom worked at Sears on Elizabeth ave in lovely Newark NJ. In 1967 sears had a full section downstairs with shotguns rifles and shelves of ammo. 67 riots Sears was one of the first stores hit! Guns first! Then the Nat Guard armory, got a couple thousand full auto carbines! That is why they are illegal in NJ!!!. They are still out there. Show up at a buy back or at a gun  shop every so often! LOL.

• Like 2

When I first “got into” firearms, I was struck by the following:

1:   The AR is useful and fun.  Not just for larpers.  
2:  NJ’s process to buy/own is ridiculous and useless.
3:   There aren’t enough gun ranges close by.  
4:  NJ’s laws and restrictions are ridiculous and stupid.  
5:  I need a bigger safe. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 7:40 AM, Lawnmower2021 said:

I've been following different gun forums for many years, but finally became a gun owner myself last year.

Here's the order of things that surprised me:

1. That you actually need FPID/permits to buy guns in NJ. I thought that everywhere outside NYC, CA, etc. was a free country :D
  2. The price of guns. The last time I looked at AKs, WASR-10s were like $300 a piece. Good luck getting any AK under $1000 now.
  3. Ammo: you need lots of it, it's hard to find (maybe special circumstance), and owning too many different calibers is a PITA.
  4. Many of the guns I thought I liked for the last ~10-15 years weren't what I actually ended up buying.
  5. Huge reality shift: lots of time thinking strategically about gun storage and access for home defense.
  6. People bringing kids to gun stores. I understand kids need to learn gun safety and parents might not have a choice, but it still weirded me out.

(off on a tangent)  #6...  When my children were little I used to bring them to Home Depot and Shop Rite and walk around for what seemed like hours to them when they missbehaved.   All I had to do was say, we are going to Home Depot and they seemed to reconsider the undesirable behaviour.  They never seemed to mind going to the local firearms store or a gunshow, though;  that was a treat!    I fondly remembered the Milsurp Gear and big, soft pretzels with mustard when I was a kid at the shows.  

• Haha 1