Bomber

AR with MOE front pistol grip N.J. compliant?

On 2/22/2021 at 6:15 PM, My1stGlock said:

Just make sure the real issues are addressed.

Stock is pinned

Thats another question.

What if instead of pinning the stock the FFL just removed the collapsable stock, then transferred rifle and stock separately? 

That's between you and your FFL but I would say they wont do that. The funny thing it its legal to order the parts separately but once it's assembled the FFL is obligated to make it compliant before it's transferred to the buyer. Some retailers won't even ship non compliant rifles to NJ as they don't want to deal with the drama. and NJ laws.

Most FFLs do the compliance work and charge accordingly. Do you already have an FFL in mind? In Manalapan/ Marlboro area I use Steve @ Monmouth Arms he's also a forum vendor and a great guy to deal with. 

Many people here will speak highly of him. 

2 hours ago, Bomber said:

Thats another question.

What if instead of pinning the stock the FFL just removed collapsable stock, then transferred rifle and stock separately? 

Did you really think that question through and think an ffl would ever do that?

First, the less obvious ... You cannot remove a stock from a rifle and transfer it as a rifle. The FFL would be redefining the statutory definition of the weapon to no longer meet the requirements of a rifle. A stock must be attached to it.

The more obvious, Not to mention the FFL would be idiotic to let any weapon leave their premises that isn't documented as having compliance work done when required. 

There is no FFL that would ever do something like this. They could put a fixed stock on, and give you the non-compliant one detached. I have seen it done... But even then most places wouldn't do that in fear you would simply put it back on. What will they tell the ATF when they walk in the door holding a non complaint rifle that they transferred? Will they at least offer documentation the rifle was legal when it left? Or they simply gave the illegal parts separately to the customer? 

1 hour ago, My1stGlock said:

Most FFLs do the compliance work and charge accordingly. Do you already have an FFL in mind? In Manalapan/ Marlboro area I use Steve @ Monmouth Arms he's also a forum vendor and a great guy to deal with. 

Yes, I've used Monmouth Arms.

26 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

First, the less obvious ... You cannot remove a stock from a rifle and transfer it as a rifle. The FFL would be redefining the statutory definition of the weapon to no longer meet the requirements of a rifle. A stock must be attached to it.

Okay, didn't know that- Thanks.

On 2/22/2021 at 8:30 PM, JackDaWack said:

The more obvious, Not to mention the FFL would be idiotic to let any weapon leave their premises that isn't documented as having compliance work done when required. 

There is no FFL that would ever do something like this. They could put a fixed stock on, and give you the non-compliant one detached. I have seen it done... But even then most places wouldn't do that in fear you would simply put it back on. What will they tell the ATF when they walk in the door holding a non complaint rifle that they transferred? Will they at least offer documentation the rifle was legal when it left? Or they simply gave the illegal parts separately to the customer? 

Old thread but just thinking out loud. What if one provided a fixed stock for the compliance work and the collapsible stock was given back to the owner separately? Not saying the FFL ain't charging you either way.....