Redeye65

.22lr bolt conversion

I’m a bit confused, I have been looking at this .22lr bolt conversion for an AR-15. 
https://www.primaryarms.com/cmmg-22lr-dedicated-arc-bolt-group-for-ar-15?trk_msg=J1ONT46NA0B4H5KMB5HUQPOTOO&trk_contact=UJDPUVL23EM3F4QI6606879HAS&trk_sid=3L5KOE1M30LQU93F612RG4BS5O&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SLOT_9&utm_campaign=21_02_AD22_InStock

most sites say, just drop it into your AR-15 and you are good to go, but then some web sites say, works with any dedicated .22lr barrel, I understand the 5.56/223 is a .22 bullet, but is the barrel a dedicated .22lr barrel if it’s made for a 5.56 cartridge?

this may be a dumb question. 

10 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

I’m a bit confused, I have been looking at this .22lr bolt conversion for an AR-15. 
https://www.primaryarms.com/cmmg-22lr-dedicated-arc-bolt-group-for-ar-15?trk_msg=J1ONT46NA0B4H5KMB5HUQPOTOO&trk_contact=UJDPUVL23EM3F4QI6606879HAS&trk_sid=3L5KOE1M30LQU93F612RG4BS5O&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SLOT_9&utm_campaign=21_02_AD22_InStock

most sites say, just drop it into your AR-15 and you are good to go, but then some web sites say, works with any dedicated .22lr barrel, I understand the 5.56/223 is a .22 bullet, but is the barrel a dedicated .22lr barrel if it’s made for a 5.56 cartridge?

That is not the full conversion kit.

Get this! https://www.ammoland.com/2021/01/cmmg-ar15-22lr-bravo-rifle-conversion-kit-3-mags/

Yes it works fine on an AR barrel .223 and 5.56 nato are essentially the same round. 
the kits sometimes includes 1 or 3 mags and you obviously need the one that has a 10 round capacity. No need to use this if you have a dedicated .22lr AR

You remove your existing bolt and drop this adapter in. The action is self contained in the bolt. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

This is what I have. I only tried it once and for only a few mags. It did not cycle well but I also did not lube it and it probably needs to be broken in a bit. I've heard very good reviews of the CMMG conversion kit. 

13 hours ago, InFamous said:

This is what I have. I only tried it once and for only a few mags. It did not cycle well but I also did not lube it and it probably needs to be broken in a bit. I've heard very good reviews of the CMMG conversion kit. 

"It did not cycle well"

Could be just needs to be broken in. What brand 22lr are you using? While my DPMS dedicated 22lr upper eats almost anything, it runs best on CCI mini mags.  Mini mags are the gold standard. I gave away a box of Remington .22lrs they cycled so badly. So try different brands to find what cycles best in your gun. The mag can also be an issue. My buddies CMMG conversion would stove pipe with one of his mags. I swapped mags with him and it went away. Never had a  problem with his mag in my rifle.   Oh...and lube it up some. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

You can send a .22LR down an AR barrel with the correct conversion parts (the bcg looks different from your linked one) and stock barrel, but don't expect much in way of accuracy. Only .22LR that might be OK in a standard barrel is the Aguila 60gr SSS rounds.

Virtually every .22LR barrel is 1:16, while most AR barrels are 1:7, 1:8, 1:9, or occasionally/rarely 1:12.  Those SSS rounds tend to shoot poorly out of most .22 barrels because they are 20-24gr heavier than most .22LR

Model you linked to requires a specific barrel to work with that BCG.  Others i have seen have a 223 shaped protrusion at the front of the BCG, far as I recall. I don't own a .22 conversion but have been considering one for training new shooters. I'd probably do a complete upper.

6 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

Thanks for all the info all.

The one I am using is the one JohnnyB referenced. It has that additional tip that guides the round into the AR barrel. 
If you are plinking this is a great option. Yes .22lr ammo can be very dirty and yes some brands work better than others. 
as for accuracy I am able to put on target out to 50 yards easily. If I had better eyes maybe 100 yards but others online have been able to shoot this very accurately.

Here’s a video from 22plinkster and his experience with the adapter.

.22 Long rifle bullets are .224 heads like the 5.56 and .223.  Accuracy varies due to the twist rate of the barrel used and taking into consideration the lower velocity of the .22LR, you should be pretty accurate out to 100 yards or so. You are plinking at this point so who really cares about ultra accuracy?  Have fun and save $$$. :)

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Malice4you said:

You can send a .22LR down an AR barrel with the correct conversion parts (the bcg looks different from your linked one) and stock barrel, but don't expect much in way of accuracy.

I believe that this is true.  These kits are more for fun than for shooting 1" group at 100 yards.

I have found CCI AR Tactical to work with them, and also with the S&W 15-22.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:30 AM, SmittyMHS said:

"It did not cycle well"

Could be just needs to be broken in. What brand 22lr are you using? While my DPMS dedicated 22lr upper eats almost anything, it runs best on CCI mini mags.  Mini mags are the gold standard. I gave away a box of Remington .22lrs they cycled so badly. So try different brands to find what cycles best in your gun. The mag can also be an issue. My buddies CMMG conversion would stove pipe with one of his mags. I swapped mags with him and it went away. Never had a  problem with his mag in my rifle.   Oh...and lube it up some. 

I don't remember which brand I was using. I bought the kit with 3 mags so next time I head to EBSA I'll try all 3 with my lot of CCI that my 10/22 hates. I know CCI is supposed to be the best but for whatever reason my 10/22 will eat anything but CCI. You've pretty much summed up everything I was thinking, thanks!

I have the CMMG conversion kit and for the most part it has worked really well as long as it's properly lubed. I think I ran a few hundo down it the first day I used it without a single failure (I don't remember what brand of ammo). The follower on the mags tends to get dirty and sticky but cleans up ok and hasn't really been a problem. I agree with all the comments about accuracy. If you have 22 laying around and don't wanna send dollar bills downrange it's a great way to go.

• Like 2

I tried the CMMG conversion out of three ar barrels. Two of them  accuracy was good for short range training. Don’t expect tight groups at 100 yards. But for 25 yards you’re good to go. A dedicated 22 LR  barrel will get you better accuracy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

just got back from the range and tried out the cmmg 22lr in my ar.

went through 200 rds.  I think it worked great (felt like i was shooting nerf rounds but it was fun nonetheless lol)

at approximately 20 yards it was very accurate. I recommend it.

(next i need try out my kimber 1911 22lr conversion slide kit hehe)

On 2/25/2021 at 2:44 PM, Johnk-NJ said:

A dedicated 22 LR  barrel will get you better accuracy.

22lr would perform better in a Vietnam era M-16 with a 1:12 than a modern 1:7bbl  I wonder what 22lr chronos out of an AR barrel, how much velocity is being lost due to the .001 difference.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:09 AM, Old Glock guy said:

These kits are more for fun than for shooting 1" group at 100 yards.

Not strictly true.  Some preppers have the kit in their BUG to go wabbit hunting.  No point in wasting 223 ammo or making more noise than necessary if one is eating off the fat o' the land.

• Agree 1