My uncle just unfortunately passed away and my aunt wants to give me his guns. He owned a shotgun, rifle, and a handgun. Not sure of exact models just yet. She said she doesn’t have any type of paperwork for them at all. Is it legal for me to take ownership? If so, what steps do I need to take?

Not sure on this but I will take a guess. Your aunt is the legal owner off the guns, not you.  She must transfer the long arms to you through an FFL dealer and you will need a NJFID card to take possession.  The transfer of the handgun will require you to have a permit to purchase a handgun to take possession. Sorry for your loss!

best to find out what  they are before you do anything,  than make a decision as to how you want to handle them.  they may be so old or your uncle acquired them long before there was any registration requirement for the handgun.   

I don't think that you need to worry about your aunt having any paperwork for any of the guns . . . Unless they were stolen but even then I doubt that it would come up.  

The right answer is above.  I don't think that you qualify for any exemptions even if they were left to in his will.

39 minutes ago, EdF said:

I don't think that you need to worry about your aunt having any paperwork for any of the guns . . . Unless they were stolen but even then I doubt that it would come up.  

The right answer is above.  I don't think that you qualify for any exemptions even if they were left to in his will.

@EdF The first part of your answer is correct.  The second part is completely FALSE.

If the OP is named in the Will as the new owner, they're HIS, no paperwork needed.  'Cept maybe for a hand-written receipt from the Executrix of the Estate.  OGAM goes away too, since there's NO paperwork :) 

If the OP @Gosnellus is NOT named in the Will as the new owner of the personal property, then the OP must file all the regular paperwork for purchasing both long guns (and pistols if so desired).  Once the permits come thru, the OP can submit an OGAM exemption form, naming the firearms to be transferred.

What people THINK doesn't matter....what the LAW SAYS matters.

Rosey

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'NJSP NICS UNIT SAYS: imgflip.com NO GUN FOR YOU!!'

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

If the OP is named in the Will as the new owner, they're HIS, no paperwork needed.  'Cept maybe for a hand-written receipt from the Executrix of the Estate.  OGAM goes away too, since there's NO paperwork :) 

Everyone who owns firearms take note of this. If you want your firearms to transfer seamlessly to someone after your death, you must specifically name the person in the will. And you must specify which firearms you're referring to, unless it's something like 'all my firearms'.

If you don't do that, then they will transfer to who is named in the will to receive all your property. (e.g. a spouse) But note this: if you bequeath property to more than one person in a will and don't specify your firearms anywhere it may be ambiguous who they should go to. Unless you included a bequest like 'everything not named elsewhere goes to...'.

Our wills have a specific clause naming a beneficiary and secondary beneficiary for 'all firearms, ammunition, and firearm related accessories'. We included a secondary in case god forbid we both go together.

Don't have a will? You're leaving a real mess for whoever is left to clean up. If you care.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Everyone who owns firearms take note of this. If you want your firearms to transfer seamlessly to someone after your death, you must specifically name the person in the will. And you must specify which firearms you're referring to, unless it's something like 'all my firearms'.

If you don't do that, then they will transfer to who is named in the will to receive all your property. (e.g. a spouse) But note this: if you bequeath property to more than one person in a will and don't specify your firearms anywhere it may be ambiguous who they should go to. Unless you included a bequest like 'everything not named elsewhere goes to...'.

This is really important and something EVERYONE here needs to do NOW!!! If you don't want an illegal shitshow when you die, any firearm you own has to be exactly specified where you want it to go.

In my case, since wifey isn't really fond of my hobby, I added specific instructions in my will where each firearm goes (to  my boys). This way, wifey doesn't even have to deal with it (since everything else transfers to her), my sons know exactly what needs to be legally done.

• Like 1