DirtyDigz

Any recommendations for a bedside handgun safe that doesn't suck?

Looking to pickup a small "bedside" safe for a new handgun owner with children in the house.

Something small enough to go under a bed/bedside table, ideally with a "4-finger" opening mechanism similar to the gunvault brand, but that isn't featured on the lockpicking lawyer's youtube channel being defeated with a magnet, paper clip, piece of foil or similar:

What's out there that is *good quality* and can stand up to a teen with youtube access?

1 hour ago, 67gtonut said:

That’s what I use....

1 hour ago, DirtyDigz said:

Here's a strong contender, but still looking for other recommendations:

https://www.products.fas1safe.com/product.sc?productId=28&categoryId=1

They say their product is not CA DOJ approved, I wonder why?

"This is not a CA DOJ approved firearms safety device."

I have one of the older ShotLock ones. https://www.shotlock.com/handgun I also have the wall mounted Shotgun version. 

I've recently switched to a SpeedVault for my handgun, because I like the "holster" design. It looks just like the 2nd video from above though. https://www.gunvault.com/product/speedvault/

With no kids around, my needs are different than the parameters of the proposed question also.

Just now, kc17 said:

They say their product is not CA DOJ approved, I wonder why?

"This is not a CA DOJ approved firearms safety device."

I don’t know, but both of the trivially defeated safes in the videos above are CA approved.  To me, that means the CA DOJ approval is worthless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Looking to pickup a small "bedside" safe for a new handgun owner with children in the house.

Why go with a small safe? That just screams to the kids, "hey look, there' s gun hidden in here". What happens when kids get inquisitive when you're not there?

Better off getting some sort of concealment furniture to hide it in. No one will know it's there, and you're not fumbling in the dark if you need it quickly, trying to unlock a safe under duress.. Time to think "out of the box".

4 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Your imagined use case is not the one I'm trying to solve.

A mind is like a parachute.... it only works when it's open.

You stated in your OP that bedside safes suck, but make sure you buy one anyway.... because reasons...

20 minutes ago, Sniper said:

A mind is like a parachute.... it only works when it's open.

You stated in your OP that bedside safes suck, but make sure you buy one anyway.... because reasons...

Try opening yours sometime.

Relying on concealment furniture means that the owner will have to make sure the kids are never, ever watching them take the firearm out.  Talk about an attractive nuisance - you think once a kid sees some James Bond type hidden shelf they're going to leave that alone?

I didn't say bedside safes suck.  I said I wanted one that didn't suck, and gave examples of unacceptable suck-ness.  Try slowing down and reading for comprehension.

We have a Sentrysafe unit reviewed by   https://indoor2outdoor.com/best-gun-safe/. Keep in mind that no matter which safe you get, put the safe on a shelf in your bedroom closet so that it is in front of a wall stud and secure the safe to the stud through the holes in the back using the included bolt kit. It uses a four digit combination that you choose with a key backup in case you forget your combination or the keypad batteries die. Just keep the key in a secure location away from the safe. Replace the keypad batteries regularly and practice opening the safe even in the dark. You should be able to get into it within seconds and it will keep your firearm away from curious little ones. Be sure to receive training from a qualified firearms instructor and get to the range to maintain your proficiency at least semi-annually.

I use a Hornady Rapid safe. They are RFID activated with mains power and battery backup. There is a key just in case too.

I prefer the RFID to a number pad for simplicity and the technology is long proven. I use the wearable wristband so I never find myself without it and I'd be hard pressed to lose it. Also inquisitive kids won't wander off with it.

The steel is a decent thickness and can be permanently mounted or secured with a cable.

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/rapid-safes/

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 9:35 AM, Mr.Stu said:

I use a Hornady Rapid safe. They are RFID activated with mains power and battery backup. There is a key just in case too.

I prefer the RFID to a number pad for simplicity and the technology is long proven. I use the wearable wristband so I never find myself without it and I'd be hard pressed to lose it. Also inquisitive kids won't wander off with it.

The steel is a decent thickness and can be permanently mounted or secured with a cable.

https://www.hornadysecurity.com/rapid-safes/

Second this.  And it's on sale!  

In the right place it will just look like a big digital clock.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1021895195?pid=108860&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Gun+Safes+%26+Storage&utm_content=108860&cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Shooting+-+Gun+Safes+%26+Storage-_-Hornady-_-108860&msclkid=73c611f148fd1efcfe5c705136b3ea7e&utm_term=4585032213297734

I use a “Fort Knox Pistol Box”. Simplex mechanical lock and built like a tank. Weighs about 20 lbs empty. I have three around my house, one of which is bedside. 
On a related note, my grandkids know what it is and what is in it. They pay no attention to it. They know they can ask anytime they wish to see or handle my firearms. Under my very close supervision of course.  Have been teaching them the safe and responsible handling of firearms at a young age; including the CNJFO Youth Training. 

That Hornady rapid safe looks really cool. I have an "Awesafe" biometric safe from Amazon....(Link)

It isn't awful, but if I didn't have it I'd consider that Hornady. The fingerprint scan works as long as the finger is flat and spot on; if you roll your finger at all, it usually won't open. But so far I never saw a false positive on other fingers belonging to myself or other people.

There is a gap between the lid and the rest of the safe frame when it is closed. It does have mounting holes at the bottom at least. Whether you open via fingerprint, code, or key, the lid flies open with force and the inside is lit up.