Micr0wave_Pizza

New to NJGunForums and Firearms

First off, just wanted to say thanks for all the info.  Found the forum just researching for my first handgun purchase and most questions I have found already answered somewhere within the forum which has been invaluable!

so, a little background, after 4 months I finally have my FID and permit to purchase. I have very limited firearms experience ( only a handful of trips to the range in the past few years) After waiting 4 months I’ve come to realize I shit the bed a little bit by only getting one permit to purchase if I’m going to have to wait until the end of summer possibly to get a second.  

So, in light of that, I started looking into handguns that have .22 conversions as i already have a few thousand rds in .22lr. 
Some of the ones I have been looking into are Glock, CZ, And Beretta.  

just curious if anyone has suggestions or expierence with any of the conversion kits whether it be positive or negative.  And also any suggestions. TIA

• Agree 1

Welcome.

I cannot help specifically with your question since I do not have any conversion kits or any of the three brands you mentioned. I would only suggest that the ability or inability to do a conversion should not be the main factor in deciding what you purchase. In my opinion. 

Understood.  It’s only a thought that I recently started looking into after being naive to just how long I would be waiting for a permit.  And with the 92fs being the bulk of my hands on expierence, just a rabbit hole I’ve recently jumped down lol.  Definitely not the sole deciding factor in my first purchase.  Just had me curious and wondering what other guns could be converted with a barrel or slide swap.  

The .22s will not go bad (or out of style) and you can always pick up a rifle to plink around with those.

Request another P2P now.  Today.  Do not delay.  It shouldn't take anywhere near as long as your last request because that one included the FID.  You can also follow up with a .22 handgun purchase.

As for advice on your first purchase, what's the purpose?  Let that question drive your decision.

• Like 1

Yes, welcome! And glad you've already gleaned some information from here. Keep pumping out the questions - you'll find people are happy to chime in with suggestions. :D

I'm a big fan of .22 in general - simply because it's still the cheapest way to practice your skills. Haven't had a gun with a conversion kit personally, but I'm sure others who do will respond to this thread. 

I have the 92FS and I love it, great gun.  I did not know about the .22 conversion kit, but based on a quick search it looks pretty good.  Quick and easy to swap and I couldn't find a negative review so far. I will consider getting this for cheaper target shooting.

And welcome to the forum

7 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yes, welcome! And glad you've already gleaned some information from here. Keep pumping out the questions - you'll find people are happy to chime in with suggestions. :D

I'm a big fan of .22 in general - simply because it's still the cheapest way to practice your skills. Haven't had a gun with a conversion kit personally, but I'm sure others who do will respond to this thread. 

Cheap is relative when I will literally shoot through an entire brick of .22lr in under a hour at the silhouette range. 

I'm basised as hell towards the 92fs,  and the swap kit is affordable and reliable though I don't have one. I prefer a dedicated pistol like the Ruger MK target. 

15 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I have the .22 kit for my 92fs Inox.  It works freaking fantastic!  Beretta has sales every now and then and you can save

$100 on the kit if you have patience.  It's well worth it at any price though!:)

I have the same kit for my M9A3.  Works great and is surprisingly NOT picky with .22LR ammo.

9DejDyV.jpg

• Agree 1

Welcome aboard!  Lots of great info for NJ gun owners on these boards, as you have discovered.

I have a 92 A1, which I believe is about the same thing as an FS, give or take a rail or two.  Despite my screen name, I would have to say that it is probably my sexiest handgun. I don't have a conversion kit for that, but I have one for my Glocks.  After some initial fussiness, it seems to work pretty well.

You have learned the unintended consequences of our annoying permitting system to buy handguns in NJ.  With all the aggravation involved, one rarely buys a single handgun.  I generally apply for 3 or 4 at a time (most towns will give you an extension to 6 months to use them just by asking), and I rarely end up not using them all. 

Hi MrP,

Welcome, I’m new here as well and fell in too the same boat as you.  I initially only applied for 1 handgun permit as well and already committed to an HK VP9 as my first.  Like you I also wanted to do some .22LR plinking and I applied for 3 more, surprisingly I got it less than 2 months later.  

I bought a GSG Firefly but I knew what I was getting into.  Fun little pew pew if you don’t mind tuning it a bit with a file and polish.  It has feeding issues with bulk and hollow point .22.  Thankfully, the well known fix is smoothing and polishing of the feedramps which helped considerably.  Most of my .22 is Remington bucket ‘O Bullets bulk and hollow point so a double whammy.  

686930101_gsgfirefly.thumb.jpeg.d24a2bbea206c5eb1f8f770a2073b344.jpeg

On 3/4/2021 at 10:38 PM, JohnnyB said:

I have the .22 kit for my 92fs Inox.  It works freaking fantastic!  Beretta has sales every now and then and you can save

$100 on the kit if you have patience.  It's well worth it at any price though!:)

Sale's on right now - $300 for the Conversion kit:  https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-conversion-kit-92-series-10-round-mag-/

Use code MARCH100 to save $100 off $300 
or MARCH150 to save $150 off $400 (if you want anything else from beretta's site - extra mags, etc).

• Like 2

I have this kit for my M9 and it works flawlessly.  Great way to keep in practice, although I will warn you that it "feels" very different. And I don't mean recoil - weight and balance change too.   

I bought mine back in September of last year and they were running an amazing sale - $210.48 shipped with an extra mag. 

17 minutes ago, Grapeshot said:

I have this kit for my M9 and it works flawlessly.  Great way to keep in practice, although I will warn you that it "feels" very different. And I don't mean recoil - weight and balance change too.   

I bought mine back in September of last year and they were running an amazing sale - $210.48 shipped with an extra mag. 

Definitely a change in weight and balance.  

My M9A3 slide/barrel is 17.8 ozboWQ8Bq.jpg

vs 11.95 oz for the .22LR conversion1zZ2JCO.jpg

Magazine weight loaded is different too.

Still - it's a great conversion kit for when you wanna use cheaper ammo.