Dooly

Your thoughts on this gas key stake job...

I had some concerns about the gas key staking on my BCG and asked Noveske about it.  Noveske advised me that they "do not subscribe to the destructive method where the heads of the fasteners are damaged due to the key material being impinged into them. As long as they are torqued to proper spec and the key material is making contact with the knurled o.d. of the fasteners- it should be g2g."

I can say that my bcm and DD bcgs are definitely staked "properly" which I'm led to believe that there should be noticeable so-called damage from the impingement between the key and screws but anyone know if this stake job on is good enough?

it's the bcg on the right.

Just wondering what are your thoughts...

1a.jpg

Thanks Wangsly/Jack....if I/we diy fix it, I would assume it would mar up the black nitride coating (only on that small part)...do you think by doing so, it will create a so-called chink-in-the-armor which will loosen up the coating starting on that spot but then slowly spread and loosen up the coating in the surrounding areas and spread?

I know this is anal as a plain jane, mil spec non-coated nothing would still work fine but obviously I'd want to retain as much of value of this bcg as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Johnny/siderman....out of curiosity as I've only staked castle nuts before,  I see "space" between the key and the fasteners on the bcg.  From your suggestions, is it possible that the pressure from the staking could be further down below beneath the screw head and I'm just not able to see it?  

As me being a noob...I'm just curious to learn how you guys made your assessments. 

I definitely appreciate all your advice and input!

Thanks!

Yeah...was just saying to another cool cat on here that I have the brownells and a moacks tool but am hesitant to mar up the metal which may start a reaction to have the black nitride coating peel off and spread.  

I get the point of reliability and that anything else is superficial for some but what I meant to say is that I want to retain it's value in regards to time of length of usability with the black nitride coating and wear and tear...  im not concerned about the resale value of a bcg...unless it was a higher end lwrc or pof bcg made from 1 piece machined part with no detachable gas key...which actually I'm selling a higher end POF with this bcg....lol

SmartSelect_20210304-151427_Samsung Internet.jpg

SmartSelect_20210304-151223_Samsung Internet.jpg

12 minutes ago, Dooly said:

I will probably just mark it and if there's any movement, I'm going to stake it more aggressively and not be concerned with the coating....or I might just sell it.  :)

It looks like it should be fine. There's no reason to mangle stuff to stake it.  Bending the shit out of it doesn't mean it is secure. I've seen someone abuse the shit out of their BCG with a MOACKS tool and guess what? The gas key came loose? Why? because they didn't get it really symmetrical and the screw cap eventually sheered from the shaft. 

19 minutes ago, Dooly said:

Yeah...was just saying to another cool cat on here that I have the brownells and a moacks tool but am hesitant to mar up the metal which may start a reaction to have the black nitride coating peel off and spread.  

HE is stating truth. If it is QPQ it's a surface treatment and can't peel. Black DLC can flake, but it won't spread easily. 

Noveske's website says their BCGs are black phosphate. Which also wont peel. 

Anytime I hear someone worrying about marring - what they think they have as combat rifles I kinda snicker.

First - the outside of that fastener does not look knurled - this one does: (random pic)

SBCG

And probably the most important thing here is the following - the moment you have any doubt whatsoever with one of your firearms, you will always have that doubt and worry about it till you have 100% faith back in it.

So you are now in a losing proposition, because already in your mind you do not think it *is* properly staked, and as such no matter how many opinions you get - the only one that matters is yours.  Stake it to the way you believe it should be staked....

I had this 1911 once - nice gun - good fit and finish - but every 200 to 250 rounds I would get a FTE.  Changed mags, checked ammo, checked the shooter (was i limp wristing etc.) - nothing I could figure could cause this.

I kept it, was consistent for some reason around 200ish round FTE - and I could never get past that fact that it sometime has a FTE...in my mind it is not 100% reliable, will it fail when I need it - so one day at the range - 3rd shot - FTE..  Guess what?  I sold it......

If you in your mind do not have 100% confidence in your equipment it will be like a splinter in your brain......  

So with that in mind - borrow a staking tool and and do it - so you can restore confidence in your tool.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Anytime I hear someone worrying about marring - what they think they have as combat rifles I kinda snicker.

First - the outside of that fastener does not look knurled - this one does: (random pic)

SBCG

And probably the most important thing here is the following - the moment you have any doubt whatsoever with one of your firearms, you will always have that doubt and worry about it till you have 100% faith back in it.

So you are now in a losing proposition, because already in your mind you do not think it *is* properly staked, and as such no matter how many opinions you get - the only one that matters is yours.  Stake it to the way you believe it should be staked....

I had this 1911 once - nice gun - good fit and finish - but every 200 to 250 rounds I would get a FTE.  Changed mags, checked ammo, checked the shooter (was i limp wristing etc.) - nothing I could figure could cause this.

I kept it, was consistent for some reason around 200ish round FTE - and I could never get past that fact that it sometime has a FTE...in my mind it is not 100% reliable, will it fail when I need it - so one day at the range - 3rd shot - FTE..  Guess what?  I sold it......

If you in your mind do not have 100% confidence in your equipment it will be like a splinter in your brain......  

So with that in mind - borrow a staking tool and and do it - so you can restore confidence in your tool.

I hate it when people are right.

Time to bust out the moacks and filer and hope I don't loosen the fasteners while I'm staking as raz-o cautioned...

I'll post a pic of it for all your giggles and toe-cringing when done.  

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions...y'all are the best!

• Like 1