eyeinstine

CJRPC wait time?

Anyone apply recently? I applied beginning of october. I followed up after emailing my application and got a response that it was recieved.  Emailed i believe late january just to check the status and did not get a reply. Havnt heard anthing since..

Curious if anyone else who has applied during the mad rush of the last year has gotten in and how long it took before you received communications that got the process started.

Thanks

Kinda off topic, or maybe not. CJRPC is in the process of a big land swap with NJ DEP, so maybe they're holding back with new members until that dust settles.

JACKSON - The New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and a local gun club plan to trade two huge tracts of land in Jackson and Upper Freehold, a unique swap that both sides say is a win-win.  

Some environmentalists worry it's too good to be true. 

At issue is a 46-acre parcel in Jackson surrounding the Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club, currently owned by the DEP. The property has known lead deposits, the result of the 61-year-old club's members firing high-caliber rifles and shotguns at its big bore and skeet shooting ranges. 

In exchange, the Central Jersey Rifle & Pistol Club purchased a nearly 87-acre tract adjacent to the Pleasant Run wildlife management area in Upper Freehold, part of the Crosswicks Creek watershed area already designated for preservation. The additional 87 acres will also be preserved, the DEP said in a report detailing the land swap.

https://www.app.com/story/news/local/land-environment/2021/03/04/jackson-nj-central-jersey-rifle-pistol-club-colliers-mills/6902350002/

Just now, Sniper said:

Kinda off topic, or maybe not. CJRPC is in the process of a big land swap with NJ DEP, so maybe they're holding back with new members until that dust settles.

I do not believe the land swap has anything to do with the backlog.

New members must attend an orientation meeting. This must be in-person because among other things, it includes a live fire exercise to show prospects can safely handle their firearm. In the "before time" these meetings were once a month and would have 30 or more prospective members. Now they are limited to ten max, they are running more than once a month now, but still limited to availability. 

During the general membership meeting earlier this week it was stated that on average they are refusing one person a month because they can not demonstrate basic firearm safety. That goes to show how many new owners are attempting to join, in addition to people like Ron who've been around firearms for years and have thought about it, but are now looking to join. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, kc17 said:

I believe they said they were about four months behind, but even with that you're over four month wait now. I'd think you should've heard something by now. Might be time for another email or call. Didn't you say you knew John?

Thanks Kev.  I just fired off another email. See if i hear back...

Ive known John's daughter for nearly 30 years. Spoke with him a time or two, and he lives about a half mile away from me. But didnt want to go that route if not neccassary..   

With ammo prices the way they are, i probably wont want to shoot much anyways! lol

Emailed CJRPC yesterday; got an email this morning from the VP who's the one in charge of new membership. There was one cancellation for the new membership orientation this tuesday, so looks like ill be attending that spot on tuesday!  Pretty excited... Just nervous thinking i dont want to start waste ammo in these times we are in! :icon_lol:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Emailed CJRPC yesterday; got an email this morning from the VP who's the one in charge of new membership. There was one cancellation for the new membership orientation this tuesday, so looks like ill be attending that spot on tuesday!  Pretty excited... Just nervous thinking i dont want to start waste ammo in these times we are in! :icon_lol:

I imagine he gave you the instructions as well. Any questions shoot me a DM or text. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I imagine he gave you the instructions as well. Any questions shoot me a DM or text. 

Actually, his email just asked if i was interested in that spot..  i replied Yes, and then asked what time tuesday and what i need to bring. Still waiting on that reply. i assume i'll hear back tommorrow sometime...

I may reach out to you just to get the run down of what to expect. Then id love to get together with some one when i make my first real shoting trip there. 

You need ten rounds, more if you're worried about a failure, .22 handgun is preferred, but not mandatory. They used to leave the gate open, but they stopped doing that and email you the code now. When you get through the gate go straight ahead, you'll see the rifle ranges. To the right of them is the outdoor pistol range and club house/indoor range. Go there. 

You'll also need to pay, no credit cards. They are very specific on the payee name on the check, don't fill it out ahead of time. They usually have a stamp you can use also. 

You'll be outside for a while, so dress appropriately. After the live-fire, you'll be inside watching safety videos and going over the rules. 

Do not uncase or load firearm until instructed. Really don't do anything regarding the gun until instructed. Unless you like to be treated like a child and risk not being allowed to join. As I mentioned above, they've had some questionable people/situations recently; including someone walking up to the group with a loaded gun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, kc17 said:

You need ten rounds, more if you're worried about a failure, .22 handgun is preferred, but not mandatory. They used to leave the gate open, but they stopped doing that and email you the code now. When you get through the gate go straight ahead, you'll see the rifle ranges. To the right of them is the outdoor pistol range and club house/indoor range. Go there. 

You'll also need to pay, no credit cards. They are very specific on the payee name on the check, don't fill it out ahead of time. They usually have a stamp you can use also. 

You'll be outside for a while, so dress appropriately. After the live-fire, you'll be inside watching safety videos and going over the rules. 

Do not uncase or load firearm until instructed. Really don't do anything regarding the gun until instructed. Unless you like to be treated like a child and risk not being allowed to join. As I mentioned above, they've had some questionable people/situations recently; including someone walking up to the group with a loaded gun.

Thanks kev for the detailed info! And glad its in this thread as it may be a benefit to someone else in the future. 

Cant imagine someone could be that stupid or clueless to walk up with a loaded gun, like 'im here and ready'.. WTF..

Im confident in my gun handling and etiquette. Been a gun owner, shooter, and hunter for 30 years now. My biggest dilemma is what gun to bring! :icon_lol:  My .22 handgun, a saturday night special phoenix arms HP22 has been acting up, so thats out..  Could bring the glock .40 but dont want to look like one of those new Glock boys.. lol     Probably just bring the little XDs 9mm..   But for simplicity sake, could always bring my first love, the stainless S&W 686. But that may look like im trying to compensate for something like the guys with the big ol' lifted diesel trucks..:D   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 15636215 said:

I would bring the 686!. I brought a GP100 about 16-17 years ago LOL!!!. NO FtoF no FtoF. Easy Peasy!!

Sure is tempting dave!  Have to look and see if i have any .38 rounds laying around..  No sense in belching fire and scaring the newbies with some hot .357 loads...  :D :p       

May have been more fun if i had picked up the DW .44 from you! :B:):

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Im in! An official CJRPC member now...  Time to get this press churning out some ammo so i can actually shoot and not feel too guilty for using ammo durin gthe high price/high demand times were in...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

Im in! An official CJRPC member now...  Time to get this press churning out some ammo so i can actually shoot and not feel too guilty for using ammo durin gthe high price/high demand times were in...

Congrats,

Reading the threads, sounds like a club you really wanted to join, Enjoy.

After reading the threads, what gun did you decide to use?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Congrats,

Reading the threads, sounds like a club you really wanted to join, Enjoy.

After reading the threads, what gun did you decide to use?

Thanks! Looking forward to shooting more in the near future.. Was a member at Range14 but could never find the time in their limited open hours. This should work with my busy schedule much better.... if now only ammo would come back to fiscal reality..

I ended up going Glock boy.. Took the model 22 (.40 s&w)..  the little Springfield XDs is a little tough for me to efficiently and quickly manipulate with the thick hands i got.. The full size Glock is just simple and second nature..    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 15636215 said:

Congratulations and Welcome!! Really the best range and well run!! Can't go wrong, Glad I joined when Christ was a corporal!!

I used to know a Jackson cop named Kenny Christ.  Does anyone know if there is any relation?  I would love to meet up with this guy again sometime before I die...

On 3/9/2021 at 9:24 PM, eyeinstine said:

welcome!!!!  lets go!!!!

• Like 2

On 3/9/2021 at 9:45 PM, bennj said:

Congratulations! I see you didn't waste any time listing your home range. Still sorting out finances since retirement, and concerned about my ammo reserves, but definitely would like to join too.

Yea, i changed the home range in my profile same night after orientation. :p :D

I did feel a little guilty doing that and leaving Range-14. But i rarely ever went while a member of range14. The restricted hours, and the time limits, etc, just didnt work for me. Range-14 is always touted as being cheap and affordable. But honestly, that really doesnt work out to be very true.. Its 90$ a year now. and 5$ an hour per person. When i would take myself and the two teenage boys for 2 hours, thats 30$. So just joining and going once, your at 120$. If i was two go 7 times a year with my boys, that would be 300$ total for the year. Same price as the annual dues at CJRPC..  You cant compare the two facilities, CJRPC is in a league of its own. There are work hour oppurtunities and other ways to reduce your 300$ a year membership. Get involved enough and you could probably get yourself in for free each year. The 600$ one time capital fee is the big one. Get through that and its pretty easy sailing after that..  I considered selling a case of my factory ammo just to offset this initial cost. Looks like i dont have too and can absorb the fee this month..   Range 14 was 5 minutes from my house, and CJRPC is about 15 minutes. Definitely not right down the road like Range14, but well worth the little further drive. Guess im lucky to be located so conveniently to either of them..

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 15636215 said:

Congratulations and Welcome!! Really the best range and well run!! Can't go wrong, Glad I joined when Christ was a corporal!!

Hope to see you there and shoot together sometime soon Dave!

2 hours ago, RUTGERS95 said:

welcome!!!!  lets go!!!!

Say when! I need some shooting partners to show me around there and keep my encouragement up to get there often!

• Like 1