Hello,

I have a question and need some advice?. Last November I applied for my gun permit and also completed my fingerprints in December along with the references that needed to fill out the questionnaire with everything be cleared. About two weeks ago I received a call from the retiree who is doing the work and had a question about section 2c:58-3(f). When I said that he apparently got offended and told me that he would make it 7 months. He also brought up about getting an attorney if I don’t like it but with me suing them will only just open up a can of worms. How do I get around this?

Thank you

19 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

I brought up the law.

Most police departments don't give a crap about the law (time to process). If you bring it up (the law), you can expect a longer turn around time. All of them now are extremely over worked with tons of new permits. Suggestion, try contacting the Chief, and pour on the sugar, heavily, sometimes that helps move the ball down the court.

• Agree 1

I don't believe in having to kiss ass to enjoy your rights! I do have to agree with @Sniper in extreme cases like this. Email the CPD very politely asking for help. Do not put down the guy you spoke with! You don't know his relationship with the Chief!

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Do you know how I can get the chief’s email or where to find it?

Look on the PD web site. I looks like the format is first initial, last name @manalapanpolice.org

https://manalapanpolice.org/contact/

23 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Do you know how I can get the chief’s email or where to find it?

Deputy Chief Leonard Maltese can be contacted directly by phone at 732-446-3879 or by email at [email protected]

I got it by looking at their web page........Really easy!

51 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Most police departments don't give a crap about the law (time to process). If you bring it up (the law), you can expect a longer turn around time. All of them now are extremely over worked with tons of new permits. Suggestion, try contacting the Chief, and pour on the sugar, heavily, sometimes that helps move the ball down the court.

that's because it's not a law. it's a suggestion disguised as a law/

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's the deputy chief. The Chief is Edward Niesz.

This guy seems to run the department though!

About The Department

The Police Department is broken up into two divisions and then into various bureaus, platoons, and units.

The two divisions within the agency are the Operations Division and the Administrative Division.

The Operations Division, which includes Patrol and Investigations, is commanded by Deputy Chief Leonard Maltese. Deputy Chief Leonard Maltese can be contacted directly by phone at 732-446-3879 or by email at [email protected].

The Administrative Division is commanded by Captain Leonard Maltese. This division of the organization is responsible for the numerous duties that are not directly associated with the Patrol or Investigative functions of the agency. Captain Maltese can be contacted directly by phone at 732-446-8393 or by email at [email protected].

• Informative 1

I spoke to Niesz before the retiree called and brought up to him about my status and that he would give a call back. Didn’t even get a call back from him. Then I spoke with a secretary after him and she said she couldn’t find my file and said it’s possibly on the chief’s desk getting ready to sign. I will get in contact with Maltese soon and maybe get an answer

6 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

I have a question and need some advice?. Last November I applied for my gun permit About two weeks ago I received a call from the retiree who is doing the work and had a question about section 2c:58-3(f). When I said that he apparently got offended and told me that he would make it 7 months. He also brought up about getting an attorney if I don’t like it but with me suing them will only just open up a can of worms. How do I get around this?

Citing N.J. statutes to the local PD will get you nowhere. 

To quote NJGF member "Fslater"- "I'm sure almost everyone here already knows this, but the precedent for ignoring the 30 day STATUTE (it is an actual statute) was set by a judge in Camden years ago who ruled public safety supersede the statute, and a card need not be issued or denied until the issuing authority has competed it investigation (without any time limitation what so ever).

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100166-first-time-gun-applicant-been-over-6-months-bergen-county/

You're only three months in, others have waited five or six months lately.

If you're going to contact them again limit it to the Chief only (he signs FID cards), in writing, (no e-mail, no texts). Keep it short and to the point as a follow up to the phone call with him regarding the status of your FID application.

Don't bother mentioning the call from the retiree, his prostate was probably acting up that day.

16 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Citing N.J. statues to the local PD will get you nowhere. 

To quote NJGF member "Fslater":  I'm sure almost everyone here already knows this, but the precedent for ignoring the 30 day STATUTE (it is an actual statute) was set by a judge in Camden years ago who ruled public safety supersede the statute, and a card need not be issued or denied until the issuing authority has competed it investigation (without any time limitation what so ever).

https://www.njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100166-first-time-gun-applicant-been-over-6-months-bergen-county/

So what are my options then?. The secretary couldn’t even find my file and then I get a retiree who has an attitude a mile long. Along with not getting returned emails or calls. Somebody I knew in Howell got his in a orderly fashion and we both are in the same county

21 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

So what are my options then?. The secretary couldn’t even find my file and then I get a retiree who has an attitude a mile long. Along with not getting returned emails or calls. Somebody I knew in Howell got his in a orderly fashion and we both are in the same county

Letter to the Chief as mentioned and waiting, they have your file don't worry. 

Some towns process FID applications quickly others take their sweet time, county doesn't matter.  

The other option would be contacting a firearms attorney who'd charge big bucks to send a letter to the Chief which may or may not expedite things.  

14 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Somebody I knew in Howell got his in a orderly fashion and we both are in the same county

Every town/PD does things differently, at different speeds. You can't benchmark anything based on what a different town does.

When I was in Jackson years ago, the PD was dragging their feet. I sent a really nice email to the Chief asking if he could provide me any help. I got a call the next day from the PD that my FID and permits were ready.

46 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

Then I spoke with a secretary after him and she said she couldn’t find my file and said it’s possibly on the chief’s desk getting ready to sign.

My last set of permits sat on the Chief's desk for almost 2 weeks, waiting on his signature. These applications AREN'T priorities for the PD, they get to them as a secondary process, and as mentioned above, applications are running at least 40% higher than last year.... They're swamped....

It's true they are swamped with all the new NJ gun owners, it's sucks that they act like a bunch of thugs. I wish i had a more positive relationship with the PD in my town, but it was never possible due, to their tyrant like behavior. Strange, i never had any issues with Police in PA, FL, VA it's a "Jersey" thing.

Took my application 4 months in Brick township, and we are a 2A friendly city. My wife got her FID 3 weeks before I did and we filed on the same day 2 minutes apart, when she went in to pick it up she inquired about me, secretary told my wife to tell me to be patient, they are getting 1200 new applications a month.

12 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

But are they swamped? 

Applications are digital these days, and the state does the background check. Permits are now digital.

So what the fuck do these police departments do these days? 

Local PD does their own internal investigation. Which I assume includes their records on if/when they've been called to your residence, traffic stop interactions, etc. I'm not sure really what they keep on file about each person that lives in town but I'm sure that's what they pull for the investigation. 

Just now, InFamous said:

Local PD does their own internal investigation. Which I assume includes their records on if/when they've been called to your residence, traffic stop interactions, etc. I'm not sure really what they keep on file about each person that lives in town but I'm sure that's what they pull for the investigation. 

There shouldn't be "internal" files on things like that. They are welcome to search for complaints against a resident in relation to DV or any other criminal complaints. Which takes all of 10 seconds to type a person's name onto a computer. Either way, there is only one single file that would serve to disqualify and its a DV complaint or restraining order. 

Did someone tell you they investigate your driving record?

3 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

There shouldn't be "internal" files on things like that. They are welcome to search for complaints against a resident in relation to DV or any other criminal complaints. Which takes all of 10 seconds to type a person's name onto a computer. Either way, there is only one single file that would serve to disqualify and its a DV complaint or restraining order. 

Did someone tell you they investigate your driving record?

I said I assume, and I never stated driving record. I said interaction with officers and gave scenario's. Either way what they can and what they do we know are two different things. I do know for a fact they do their own internal check because my local PD told me they do. I'm just guessing as to what that consists of. 

49 minutes ago, InFamous said:

I said I assume, and I never stated driving record. I said interaction with officers and gave scenario's. Either way what they can and what they do we know are two different things. I do know for a fact they do their own internal check because my local PD told me they do. I'm just guessing as to what that consists of. 

I could be wrong but most of what you assume doesn't exist. The only files that make it into there systems are formal. Traffic stop interactions for example.... you can be the biggest dick to the cop and I don't believe there is the ability for them to record this, unless it's part of a bigger investigation. Same with being called to your house. There may be a file they were called there, but unless a formal investigation takes place.. there is no record of the interaction. 

I'd imagine the cops say they do all this shit make it look like they are actually doing something. 

And let's be real 99% of people have zero files at the local pd to even look at or investigate. 

I belive its the local DV files they are looking for. Which is a simple and quick process. 

8 minutes ago, WayOutWest said:

They can’t be doing a’lot because the main municipal building is locked and the only people allowed in are the police

True, the last time i went in to drop off paperwork(before the fars system) for a new p2p the officer behind the desk was snoring. I woke him up by tapping on the glass. They will give you your FID eventually, it may take a few months.

I feel they are trying their best to limit firearms licenses with out having major lawsuits filed against them, while using the whole COVID/swamped/short handed excuse. When I went in for my FID, every office I walked past with a window had people in there doing nothing but chatting, the records dept where I picked up my FID had two women in it BSing without a care in the world.

I would fire employees who had a work ethic like this. Try and prove any of this, runs you right into a brick wall.