If you want to try a certified letter to the chief then there is a "form letter" in this thread that has worked for me and multiple other people on other NJ gun groups:

I had applied for pistol purchase permits in September.  Sent the letter in January via certified/return receipt mail.  Detective called me first business day after letter was received by chief.  I had my permits ~35 days after that.

I do believe that local PD's request mental health records from county health dept.'s, so that can consume time for the "local" investigation phase.  Not trying to excuse any delays, but it may explain *some* of the wait on the local side.

I'm also waiting for Manalapan to issue my FID and Pistol Permit. I started online application in November. I received the state email the 1st week of January. Manalapan cashed my check Feb. 8th and I have yet to be contacted by phone or email. Really frustrating. 

14 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

I'm also waiting for Manalapan to issue my FID and Pistol Permit. I started online application in November. I received the state email the 1st week of January. Manalapan cashed my check Feb. 8th and I have yet to be contacted by phone or email. Really frustrating. 

What do you plan on doing?. Just wait it out?

8 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

What do you plan on doing?. Just wait it out?

I plan to wait until April 8th and give them the 2nd month.. There is no way to tell how many other residents are also waiting. I'm just concerned i was never contacted. I've read 4 - 6 weeks is the standard wait in town. 

On 3/6/2021 at 9:52 PM, 1LtCAP said:

that's because it's not a law. it's a suggestion disguised as a law/

I "kind of" agree with this. It is actually a law/statute. The thing is years ago a precedent was set when a judge in Camden ruled "public safety" took priority over that (30 day) statute, therefore the issuing authority did not have to issue or deny until the background check/investigation was complete. Thereby nullifying the statute... Giving giving the issuing authority card blanc to drag their feet or just not even start the process until they fell like it.

1st week of May and I'm still waiting in Manalapan for my FID/Handgun Permit since filing on November. I emailed them the beginning of last month and received reply they are 6 months backed up. This is crazy. Gonna put in for 2nd HG permit as soon as the 1st is ok'ed just in case. 

12 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

1st week of May and I'm still waiting in Manalapan for my FID/Handgun Permit since filing on November. I emailed them the beginning of last month and received reply they are 6 months backed up. This is crazy. Gonna put in for 2nd HG permit as soon as the 1st is ok'ed just in case. 

unnamed.jpg

2 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Send "the letter" in the post I linked earlier.

I was in your same situation - My application was stalled at local PD after sailing through FARS.  Detective told me they were months behind, they'd "get to it when they get to it".

Sent the letter via certified mail to the Chief.  Detective called me the NEXT DAY after they received it to verify employment, and I got the call to pick up my permits ~30 days after that.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Send "the letter" in the post I linked earlier.

I was in your same situation - My application was stalled at local PD after sailing through FARS.  Detective told me they were months behind, they'd "get to it when they get to it".

Sent the letter via certified mail to the Chief.  Detective called me the NEXT DAY after they received it to verify employment, and I got the call to pick up my permits ~30 days after that.

I agree with this completely. People seem to be afraid to confront public employees not doing their jobs out of fear of some repercussion. This is what lazy entitled government employees thrive on. One thing a Chief does not want is a letter complaining about one of there employees not doing their job (even if the Chief supports this). It is like when you are a kid, confront bullies and they scurry away. They do not want negative attention. The Chief is the lowest in the Chain of Command I would write. If you get no satisfaction with the Chief, then go to the Mayor and keep going until they do their job.

I applied Jan. 23 for permits. References and background were done quickly.... then nothing.

I called them last week to inquire about the status and they said "we are waiting for you to come in and pay for permits"

I say..." I was never notified to come in and pay." No response.

I pay my $10 for 5 permits on Friday and they tell me "it will be another month or 2".

I will be calling them tomorrow to discuss this process.