CAL. .30 M1

Powder Coating Boolits

So, I cast about 500 rounds of 45ACP LSWC from a H&G #68 Mold on Sat AM.

Now I would typically put these through a Star Lube Sizer - and when I shoot them - it would be smoky and messy due to the lube shoot off and the pistol would be more dirty than normal (i.e.: Ball)

This time, I powder coated them - toaster oven 350 15 min - they came out very nice.

All I can say, is after putting about 150 rounds through the pistol, I noticed no ill affects using the power coated bullets, no noticeable accuracy degradation etc. - however, the shots - clean, no 'lube smoke' - minor fouling - literally bore snake and crystal clean bore, other fouling chamber and other areas - minor.  If this was shot with standard old school cast and lubed, the gun would have been a mess and needing an immediate detail cleaning....

Essentially, I may never go back to standard lube and will look to shoot PC Heads.....

YMMV

• Informative 1

19 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

So, I cast about 500 rounds of 45ACP LSWC from a H&G #68 Mold on Sat AM.

Now I would typically put these through a Star Lube Sizer - and when I shoot them - it would be smoky and messy due to the lube shoot off and the pistol would be more dirty than normal (i.e.: Ball)

This time, I powder coated them - toaster oven 350 15 min - they came out very nice.

All I can say, is after putting about 150 rounds through the pistol, I noticed no ill affects using the power coated bullets, no noticeable accuracy degradation etc. - however, the shots - clean, no 'lube smoke' - minor fouling - literally bore snake and crystal clean bore, other fouling chamber and other areas - minor.  If this was shot with standard old school cast and lubed, the gun would have been a mess and needing an immediate detail cleaning....

Essentially, I may never go back to standard lube and will look to shoot PC Heads.....

YMMV

I'm a fan.  I shoot from a local company.  Great product and reasonable pricing.  

They work great.  

• Like 1

There are a lot of powder coat fans on the marlin forum that cast their own bullets for 1894s.  I read more than one story there about men who were disciplined by their wives for unauthorized use of the oven. 

I became interested in powder coat when I bought a bunch of CCI mini mags that were alternately coated in red white and blue for a 4th of July promotion.  It is one of the best shooting in my Marlin 25N. and no fouling to speak of.  I thought for sure there'd be some flakes in the action after 200 rounds, but not a scrap to be found.

• Like 1

It is literally night an day from a cleaning perspective - 

To me that is a bonus right there, the benefits of easy casting lead, without the nuisance of cleanup of the lube residue.

I was shooting my 586 along with the 1911 - the 586 was WC's that were traditional lubed, what a mess.....

13 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

When you say "traditional lubed", is that the same as the waxy coating found on most 22lr?

All cast bullets have a lube groove...the lube can be that 'waxy' coating some softer..some harder...  bit essentially the same messy stuff

On 3/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, Bully said:

I'm a fan.  I shoot from a local company.  Great product and reasonable pricing.  

They work great.  

Who do you use locally?  :)

I am burning through my emergency lead supply - lol - if I can buy some I would like too  ;)