drjjpdc

Bringing in Inherited Legal Guns Into NJ

A family friend from NJ just inherited some registered firearms from an older relative in NM that just died. He wants to bring them to NJ, but I'm worried he may just get a U-Haul to truck them to our state.
The deceased relative purchased them legally. Should I tell him that he should just have them shipped FFL to FFL?

John

Are they legal per NJ laws?  If so and your friend inherited them and has a copy of the will saying so. There is no reason to go to FFL. Securely case them in Uhaul and good to go!

I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night!!!

• Agree 1

If all the firearms in question were purchased legally, all of them are legal in NJ, your friend is specifically named in the will as the recipient of the firearms, and your friend is not a prohibited person, then he can take possession of them and bring them here. As mentioned above make sure he gets a copy of the will to demonstrate where they came from and that he obtained them legally. I would also make a personal record of make, model and serial numbers received from the will.

Shipping them through FFLs will really complicate things, especially if there's any handguns in the collection.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

28 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Shipping them through FFLs will really complicate things, especially if there's any handguns in the collection.

This.

Going through an FFL will be an expensive and time consuming process.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

This.

Going through an FFL will be an expensive and time consuming process.

Waste of lots of cash and NJ will know what you have. Bring them in in UNMARKED boxes.

• Thanks 1

Went through this a few years ago. 

Relative in PA left me a couple of firearms in a will. A single action pistol and a rimfire rifle. 

Called NJ state police to make sure I had the right info. FFLs too frightened and give ultra conservative response.

Trooper told me if the guns were written into a will, both guns were mine. I could go pick them up.

Problem arose when the estate hired an appraiser/auction house with an FFL. Once in the possession of the out of state FFL I could not go pick up the pistol and transport it to NJ, I could only take the long gun home.

Also said it was not a requirement to register your guns in NJ. That happens when you make a legal purchase thru an FFL anyway. One form NJ requires is a statement by the FFL that the firearm does not meet the legal NJ description of an "assault weapon". 547 form???? Buy a BB gun out of state and this form must be filled out. 

To take possession of MY pistol, I had no option except to apply for a permit to purchase and designate an FFL in NJ to which the pistol would be sent by the PA FFL. 

The PA FFL placed the expensive single action revolver, loose, in a large cardboard box that was in tatters and mailed it to NJ FFL. The NJ FFL was beside himself at how the gun was packaged. He saved the cardboard box to show me...that aside. 

The trooper I spoke to was the guy who headed the dept, not some neighbor who happened to be a trooper. Talked a couple of times, could get nothing in writing. Firearm laws in NJ have everyone on edge and fearful of making a mistake. Everyone is running scared with laws seemingly subject to interpretation by activist judges and prosecutors. you could be right, but it will cost all you own to prove it in court. 

If you mean by inheritance, a relative said you can have his guns and his wishes were not stated in a will, then the above is of no use. Do not read the law and think you know what it says. Suggest a call to state police, appropriate dept, and get the right information. 

Legal language of laws may not change, but do not count on the interpretation to be the same over time or over court jurisdictions.

Did I mention, contact the state police in Trenton, appropriate dept, for the latest legal interpretation?

• Agree 1

On 3/10/2021 at 12:45 AM, drjjpdc said:
A family friend from NJ just inherited some registered firearms from an older relative in NM that just died. He wants to bring them to NJ, but I'm worried he may just get a U-Haul to truck them to our state.
The deceased relative purchased them legally. Should I tell him that he should just have them shipped FFL to FFL?

John

As long as the family friend is not prohibited good to go. As per NJSP FAQ page Question # 10. 

https://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

Screenshot_20210318-202644_Opera.jpg