WillieBeamen

Brand new PSA upper jamming

34 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

4) The lower receiver has any pistol brace on the receiver extension/buffer tube.

Point of order: a non-NFA other does not need a pistol brace at all. It can have a plain receiver extension with nothing on it at all. What it cannot have is a rifle stock.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Like Tex said, you are not in a grey area.

As long as:

1) The overall length is over 26” - when measured from the end of the barrel with device removed or the end of a permanently installed muzzle device to the rear of receiver extension with the brace removed or in its shortest configuration  if you have a folding-type adapter (This is a Federal standard for measuring. If it measures I under 26” overall, it falls into AOW territory - and that is a gray area in NJ) 

2) The upper must have a VFG on the rail - the Magpul AFG or other angled fore grips do not count here. It has to be a vertical grip. 

3) The lower receiver has never had a stock installed and was never transferred as a rifle. Federal law says you can’t go from Rifle to Pistol/Other. 

4) The lower receiver has any pistol brace on the receiver extension/buffer tube.

If you meet all four criteria, your gun falls under the Federal Definition of a “Firearm” or “Other” and is legal in NJ.

Don’t over think this.

(Obligatory I am not a lawyer, take internet advice at your own risk, etc...)

Just for clarity...I was making the assumption he was changing upper receiver groups on the Troy ‘Other’...not that he was building his own from a stripped lower. 

Great point on the VFG, it cannot be an angled fore grip. I don’t know exactly WHY it’s significant, but the ATF says it is. 

41 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Point of order: a non-NFA other does not need a pistol brace at all. It can have a plain receiver extension with nothing on it at all. What it cannot have is a rifle stock.

True. Don’t know why you would do that, but you could. I amended my post accordingly.