Cheflife15

Real deal steel safety question.

A simple rule is if the gun is single action, or in single action mode for SA/DA guns, the safety should be on before the gun goes into the holster.

It is much more dangerous to put a gun into a holster than draw it out. Think about what happens if a foreign object gets inside the trigger guard as you holster the gun. The object gets trapped between the trigger and the top of the holster. By continuing downward movement of the gun and the trigger held still by the object, the trigger is moving backward relative to the gun. The gun doesn't care that it is not a finger and does what it is supposed to do when the trigger is moved towards the back of the gun.

Conversely, as you draw the gun if a foreign object catches the trigger (unlikely, but not impossible) the upward movement of the gun results in the trigger being pulled forwards relative to the gun. This will not result in a discharge.

In summary, if you can't operate the safety to your satisfaction you need to decock the gun before you holster. You should fully decock it, not use the half cock position. In a modern semi-auto that position is there only as a safety notch to catch the hammer in the event that the sear fails or bounces due to the gun being dropped or knocked somehow.

I often SO for shooters who use a CZ without a decocker in IDPA matches and I'm always wary when they manually decock before holstering at the start of a stage. Safe muzzle direction is absolutely key.

Have you looked into replacing the safety lever with one you can reach with your normal shooting grip?

9 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

A simple rule is if the gun is single action, or in single action mode for SA/DA guns, the safety should be on before the gun goes into the holster.

It is much more dangerous to put a gun into a holster than draw it out. Think about what happens if a foreign object gets inside the trigger guard as you holster the gun. The object gets trapped between the trigger and the top of the holster. By continuing downward movement of the gun and the trigger held still by the object, the trigger is moving backward relative to the gun. The gun doesn't care that it is not a finger and does what it is supposed to do when the trigger is moved towards the back of the gun.

Conversely, as you draw the gun if a foreign object catches the trigger (unlikely, but not impossible) the upward movement of the gun results in the trigger being pulled forwards relative to the gun. This will not result in a discharge.

In summary, if you can't operate the safety to your satisfaction you need to decock the gun before you holster. You should fully decock it, not use the half cock position. In a modern semi-auto that position is there only as a safety notch to catch the hammer in the event that the sear fails or bounces due to the gun being dropped or knocked somehow.

I often SO for shooters who use a CZ without a decocker in IDPA matches and I'm always wary when they manually decock before holstering at the start of a stage. Safe muzzle direction is absolutely key.

Have you looked into replacing the safety lever with one you can reach with your normal shooting grip?

Replacing the safety is a great idea, that may be the direction I go if I can find something that works. I remember doing holster drills with you at the easton range. Are you going to be doing anymore intro to idpa classes? Thats also on my radar to try. 

4 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Are you going to be doing anymore intro to idpa classes? Thats also on my radar to try. 

I may be persuaded to run another class this year. It's not on my radar right now but if I hear of enough interest I'll schedule one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I may be persuaded to run another class this year. It's not on my radar right now but if I hear of enough interest I'll schedule one.

You think this would make much of a difference? 

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/safeties/cz-75-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

You think this would make much of a difference? 

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/safeties/cz-75-extended-ambi-safety-lhs.html

I don't know. What's the issue you have with the stock safety lever? Too high? Too far forward? Too far back? Too small to get enough leverage?

5 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Too far forward, maybe a touch high. Cant quite reach it while drawing from the holster and reach the trigger at the same time. 

Apart from the obvious - you shouldn't be on the trigger as you disengage the safety - I assume you mean you would have to adjust your grip to be able to reach the trigger after disengaging the safety.

The extended safety lever you posted a link to would not help you. That appears to have the lever in exactly the same position but with a wider shelf to press on.

Edit: after reviewing, it does seem to extend the shelf back as well as out. - so maybe?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Apart from the obvious - you shouldn't be on the trigger as you disengage the safety - I assume you mean you would have to adjust your grip to be able to reach the trigger after disengaging the safety.

The extended safety lever you posted a link to would not help you. That appears to have the lever in exactly the same position but with a wider shelf to press on.

Edit: after reviewing, it does seem to extend the shelf back as well as out. - so maybe?

I agree about not touching the trigger while drawing and yes i meant i would have to adjust my grip. Im gunna post on the cz forum and see if they have more info on it. 

22 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

I'm down for one if you do another class. I missed the last one. I got to shoot a few IDPA matches years ago, but I'd love to get schooled.

Another thing to add for @Cheflife15,  if you are having trouble reaching the safety during  draw. On a DA/SA like a typical CZ 75, it is not out of the question to carry off safe with it decocked. It depends on your comfort level of course. Some people just prefer to carry on safe. (I know some CZ shadows come in single action only and in that case this would not apply). On a DA/SA with a safety you can decock / put the pistol on safe, then unsafe. The heavy double action is considered heavy enough a trigger pull to be safe enough to carry in a holster with the safety off. Single action is NOT. When holstering with the pistol decocked and safety off you can thumb the hammer while holstering carefully. Never be in a hurry to holster. If you feel any resistance or the hammer start to move stop holstering. Pretty much every DA/SA I know of also has the option to change over to be  a decocker only so it springs back after activating the decock mechanism, so that is something you could look into as well.

• Thanks 1

One thing to note here is the division you shoot in in Real Deal Steel as it follows Steel Challenge rules.  If you are shooting in production division with a Shadow 1 (a gun with an external hammer), the hammer must be down.  This can be done by manually decocking (manually lower the hammer) or use the decocking lever.  You can practice manually decocking at home during dry fire (with no ammo present). 

If you are not comfortable with that, you can always shoot in a division that allows you to start in single action and the manual safety engaged like Limited.  There's really no disadvantage to shoot in Limited in Real Deal Steel.

• Agree 1