1LtCAP

cameras again

but this time the cameras at work.

comcast just came out and upgraded my modem to a modem/router...they call it a gateway. now i cannot access my cameras on the computer. i also haVve been unable to access them from home or on my phone for about a year(since i installed a new router) or so.

now i'd like to get both of those access's back, but am quite literally clueless on how to go about it. i'm pretty sure if i call comcast they'll send out a tech and have my access by the shop computer resotred pretty quickly, but i want both again.

so.....who here can help me with this? i know there's a couple of wizzards here. any of you near cherry hill? i'm perfectly happy to pay for tyhe service.......

The new router changed your IP scheme.....It happens often.  I will stop by tomorrow to look at it if that works for you. You ain't paying shit! I may even try to remote in if I get too busy.  I'll call you tomorrow either way!

4 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

The new router changed your IP scheme.....It happens often.

Also check to see if he needs to have a port opened on his router. I had to do that on my Comcast router, to access my DVR. I believe Comcast, by default, blocks common ports used by camera systems.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

The new router changed your IP scheme.....It happens often.  I will stop by tomorrow to look at it if that works for you. You ain't paying shit! I may even try to remote in if I get too busy.  I'll call you tomorrow either way!

thanks man! how about pizza then?

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Also check to see if he needs to have a port opened on his router. I had to do that on my Comcast router, to access my DVR. I believe Comcast, by default, blocks common ports used by camera systems.

the tech guy said he left 80 8000 and another one open?

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

the tech guy said he left 80 8000 and another one open?

I think you said in the past that you had a DVR that records at the shop for those cameras, right? If so, you might be able to go into the settings on the DVR and specify the port to use. I can change it on my DVR. My HTTP port is 85, and my Server port is 6036. It's been a while, but I think I remember going into my router when it was replaced, and opening those port numbers, so I could access the DVR from my phone app and computer. Hopefully, that is the issue with yours.

Those combo modem/routers blow ass from the ISP. Come loaded with default settings that make stuff like this difficult.

Hopefully it's just managing the addresses, but it could be some of tha restrictive/security settings they pre enabled. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

but this time the cameras at work.

comcast just came out and upgraded my modem to a modem/router...they call it a gateway. now i cannot access my cameras on the computer. i also haVve been unable to access them from home or on my phone for about a year(since i installed a new router) or so.

now i'd like to get both of those access's back, but am quite literally clueless on how to go about it. i'm pretty sure if i call comcast they'll send out a tech and have my access by the shop computer resotred pretty quickly, but i want both again.

so.....who here can help me with this? i know there's a couple of wizzards here. any of you near cherry hill? i'm perfectly happy to pay for tyhe service.......

Too little information:

What kind of cameras?

Wireless?  Hardwired?

If hard wired are they wired to a separate switch?  If wireless, we you using the Wifi on the old Modem/Router or a separate WAP?

Knowing the above can assist in providing more information

12 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Too little information:

What kind of cameras?lts security cameras.

Wireless?  Hardwired?these are hardwired to an nvr

If hard wired are they wired to a separate switch?  If wireless, we you using the Wifi on the old Modem/Router or a separate WAP?i dunno on thi sone.

Knowing the above can assist in providing more information

On 3/14/2021 at 11:07 PM, JohnnyB said:

It depends on if I am hungry at the time!:lol: Kaminski's has pretty good pizza!

thank ya sir! got me up n running in what? 15 minutes? and i feel like a dumbass and that shoulda been something i knew.

i tried typing in those addys at home......no joy. i googled it, and it looks like the dude that set them up for me originally had me viewing through a free account he made. it also looks like i can do the same, which i'm gonna try tomorrow at lunch.

thanks again man!! i owe ya one.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

thank ya sir! got me up n running in what? 15 minutes? and i feel like a dumbass and that shoulda been something i knew.

i tried typing in those addys at home......no joy. i googled it, and it looks like the dude that set them up for me originally had me viewing through a free account he made. it also looks like i can do the same, which i'm gonna try tomorrow at lunch.

thanks again man!! i owe ya one.

No problem! :)

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

So, what exactly was the issue?

to get it so i could access them here on the shop computer, he had to change the ip addy in the nvr. i gotta watch a youtube vid today at lunch to make an account, then i should be able to access them remotley again.

what pisses me off is that the guy who set them up shoulda been able to walk me through it on the phone, but the convo went almost within 2 minutes from my cameras to his truck, his surgery due to the accident in his truck, etc....

Maybe the DVR had a static IP in an old block of IPs no longer in use.  Needed to be in the range allocated by the new equipment.  If that was the issue, make sure the address assigned is reserved for the DVR so it isn’t also assigned to some other device that shows up on your network like a mobile phone, etc.  but if he knew where to look for this, he’s know to do the reservation as well.

4 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

Maybe the DVR had a static IP in an old block of IPs no longer in use.  Needed to be in the range allocated by the new equipment.  If that was the issue, make sure the address assigned is reserved for the DVR so it isn’t also assigned to some other device that shows up on your network like a mobile phone, etc.  but if he knew where to look for this, he’s know to do the reservation as well.

The IP I used was out of the DHCP range so no reservation needed here.

• Thanks 1

took some time this am to try and make the account i need. @JohnnyB reember that screen we saw when i tried entering that dvr lists site? i get the same one here, but at home i can get to it. home is comcast too, but tha gateway's older....so i'm thinking it may be a setting here. so now i gotta do it the hard way.....will go home, make the account, then tomorrow morning i'll go into the nvr to make the settings i have to make, then go home tomorrow night and test it.

this still kinda pisses me off, 'cause 1) like i said, the part you handled the other day seems like something i shoulda known, and 2) my friend that initially set up the cameras years ago shoulda been able to walk me through that on the phone....but instead the convo got switched to his truck. even after i said "c'mon out and fix this for me, i'll pay ya"..........which sadly means that even though he's my friend, i won't be using him for his professional services anymore.

ok. followed the directions in the video from lts. got the account made, and went into the nvr today to make the settings as per the video. it said the settings were all successful. came home tonight, tried logging into them from home, and it says it can't reach the page......ran windoze diagnostics.....that says that "website(name given to nvr in here) is online but not responding to connection attempts. if i hover the mouse over that box it says the remotye computer isn't responding to connections on port 80, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on your computer. "

so....my questions now........do i need to go into the new gateway and change its firewall settings? or allow the nvr to get out? or to allow a connection from this machine to get in?

13 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

ok. followed the directions in the video from lts. got the account made, and went into the nvr today to make the settings as per the video. it said the settings were all successful. came home tonight, tried logging into them from home, and it says it can't reach the page......ran windoze diagnostics.....that says that "website(name given to nvr in here) is online but not responding to connection attempts. if i hover the mouse over that box it says the remotye computer isn't responding to connections on port 80, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it might be temporarily unavailable. windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on your computer. "

so....my questions now........do i need to go into the new gateway and change its firewall settings? or allow the nvr to get out? or to allow a connection from this machine to get in?

Is NAT open or closed?

Not sure if that will have an effect, but consider NAT hides LAN addresses from outside the local network.

1 hour ago, JackDaWack said:

Is NAT open or closed?

Not sure if that will have an effect, but consider NAT hides LAN addresses from outside the local network.

that's a setting in the router? i'll look for it. i was in there a little bit ago, and the port forwarding was/is already open/on. i'm getting in deeper than i thought i would.......but.......ain't no fooking way i'm gonna call the guy that set them up.....he didn't want my money to do this so if i hafta call someone it's gonna be someone off this board, or i'll google and find someone more local.

On 3/14/2021 at 10:46 PM, JohnnyB said:

HEY.......any chance of bribing ya to get the cams up again on this machine? even if it's temp?

just got a call from chpd looking for poss footage to entrance to conte brothers......customers catalytic converter was stolen. went to log into cams frmo the computer and i get "this page can't be displayed". . right now i've got a thumb drive plugged directly into the nvr downloading the vid they asked for.

i'm gonna dump this shit. friend of mine sells lorex, so i'm gonna give those a try.