Hello,

My basic question is whether a flash can, or specifically mini-flash can, is a legal NJ muzzle device.  Like these https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-flash-can

I have tried to research, ask "experts", FFLs, and the like and can't get a definite answer.

I am trying to do a build and the company that makes the uppers only ships them with mini cans.  I know I could swap it out.  I'm just trying to figure out if I need to.

Everything I read says that the devices concentrate and direct the flash forward with nothing about hiding or minimizing the flash.  It seems like that wouldn't qualify as a flash hider, but I don't really know.  I can see on one side that they aren't a brake or comp so aren't in that category of approved.  However, they don't suppress or hide flash so I don't know what would make them a problem.  Hoping it's not just a problem in that they look vaguely similar to a suppressor or have "flash" in their name.  If someone has any experience with a definite answer or legislation somewhere please let me know.

1 hour ago, dan62103 said:

Thanks for the reply.  Just to be sure, you're saying specifically legal in NJ?  Just asking because your location says AZ.

PK90 used to be a FFL here in NJ before he moved.  He knows they're legal.  

Yes, they are legal muzzle devices.

The manufacturer states on their website:  THIS DEVICE IS NOT DESIGNED TO REDUCE RECOIL, MUZZLE RISE, OR FLASH SIGNATURE.

So in no way is it a flash suppressor.

I have a Midwest Industries Flash Can (Similar to the KAK) on my Other - it's not pinned as it's a 12.5" barrel so I can change muzzle devices.  It definitely does not reduce noise/flash - though it does redirect it forward.

KgMjg73.jpg

• Like 1

A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:
(1) A folding or telescoping stock;
(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(3) A bayonet mount;
(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(5) A grenade launcher

Muzzle devices that are acceptable are permanently attached, non-flash suppressing compensators or muzzlebrakes, or a permanently attached thread protector cap on the end of the threaded barrel. BATF & NJ state law recognizes that when a compliant device is permanently attached to a threaded barrel, that barrel is no longer "designed to accommodate a flash suppressor".

I retract my statement as it appears to be a non-flash suppressing but, being NJ i would print out the page from the KAK website and keep it with you at the least. I would never put that on my gun in NJ, they would likely arrest and charge you and have you argue in court the specific functions of the device. The onus falls on you to prove it. just my 2 cents.

3 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

The manufacturer states on their website:  THIS DEVICE IS NOT DESIGNED TO REDUCE RECOIL, MUZZLE RISE, OR FLASH SIGNATURE.

The manufacturer is not making a compelling case for why anyone should want one.

But, the OP did note that it comes by default on the upper he wants, so it's a valid question--that I won't attempt to answer.

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

PK90 used to be a FFL here in NJ before he moved.  He knows they're legal.  

Yes, they are legal muzzle devices.

So in no way is it a flash suppressor.

I have a Midwest Industries Flash Can (Similar to the KAK) on my Other - it's not pinned as it's a 12.5" barrel so I can change muzzle devices.  It definitely does not reduce noise/flash - though it does redirect it forward.

KgMjg73.jpg

Thank you.  That makes sense and good info.  Your build is basically similar to what I'm looking to do.  Although damn yours looks a lot nicer than I think mine will.

6 minutes ago, 10X said:

The manufacturer is not making a compelling case for why anyone should want one.

But, the OP did note that it comes by default on the upper he wants, so it's a valid question--that I won't attempt to answer.

It's a forward Blast diffuser for QCB. Perfect if you plan on using an ar15 for homedefense in NJ. 

An ar15 doesn't really need a muzzle brake, or flash suppressor if you're using a WML. 

7 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

It's a forward Blast diffuser for QCB. Perfect if you plan on using an ar15 for homedefense in NJ. 

An ar15 doesn't really need a muzzle brake, or flash suppressor if you're using a WML. 

This is the exact case.  I wouldn't say it's necessary or my first choice of muzzle device if I use one at all.  But it's an AR9 build for QCB home defense and the company I'm looking to order from (brigadefirearms.com) only ships them with mini-cans.  I can't find a wealth of information, but from what I can tell it does seem to be a good choice for the purpose of my build as long as it isn't going to give me a huge legal headache.

15 minutes ago, 10X said:

It's basically the same as a linear comp except it doesn't really do any recoil compensation.  Not that there's much recoil on an AR anyway.

14 minutes ago, dan62103 said:

Thank you.  That makes sense and good info.  Your build is basically similar to what I'm looking to do.  Although damn yours looks a lot nicer than I think mine will.

I did kinda go all out on the parts I used for that one - Timber Creek has some nice furniture.

3 minutes ago, contigo100 said:

I have edited my previous comment, as i was getting jumped on by some here. This flash can is legal in NJ, but as my follow-up comment mentioned you put this on your gun at your own risk. NJ does not litigate cases on the side of the road, go ahead be a test case. 

And that applies to anything. How many brakes look like a flash hider? 

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

And that applies to anything. How many brakes look like a flash hider? 

yes and yes. Bull barrel would be the only safe bet in NJ. Although, in this case the item has "flash can" in it's name and actually looks like a flash hider as opposed a muzzle brake. A Leo with a brain stem "should" be able to differentiate between a muzzle break pattern and a flash can. in this specific case, this item does look like a flash can and it's labeled as such. The main argument here is not legality, but rather what NJ can and may do to you. Do whatever you like.....

2 minutes ago, contigo100 said:

yes and yes. Bull barrel would be the only safe bet in NJ. Although, in this case the item has "flash can" in it's name and actually looks like a flash hider as opposed a muzzle brake. A Leo with a brain stem "should" be able to differentiate between a muzzle break pattern and a flash can. in this specific case, this item does look like a flash can and it's labeled as such. The main argument here is not legality, but rather what NJ can and may do to you. Do whatever you like.....

That thing looks nothing like a flash hider though. 

There are plenty of Muzzle Brakes that look almost identical to flash hiders.

I have a Muzzle brake on one of my rifle that basically looks like an A2 Flash Hider but it's actually a brake.

Been to many ranges with it - don't be too paranoid about things - If you're going to get in trouble for something - it's not going to be because you have a flash can or muzzle brake that would look like an "Evil muzzle device"

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1