silverado427

Crock pot dinner pic. Not ribs

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

And BTW, nice sear on that chuck roast.

the meat fell apart when you touched it with a fork. Very tender  I was in heaven

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

And BTW, nice sear on that chuck roast.

Jezus Christmas.  Boy, I say boy, ya doin' it all wrong son.  I mean, cast iron boy, that's the way civilized folk git it done.  Hot oil...  Searing... Smoke.... Ya can't caramelize meat in a crock pot boy, I say, it just can't be done.  Ya let'n all the flavor and juices and goodness run out'a that slab.  It's practically animal cruelty.

tumblr_nun6jpICFw1tf48o1o3_500.gif

EDIT:  FTR  All I saw was crock pot and was on a roll.  I missed the part where you seared it first.  Crock pot rage I guess.

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Jezus Christmas.  Boy, I say boy, ya doin' it all wrong son.  I mean, cast iron boy, that's the way civilized folk git it done.  Hot oil...  Searing... Smoke.... Ya can't caramelize meat in a crock pot boy, I say, it just can't be done.  Ya let'n all the flavor and juices and goodness run out'a that slab.  It's practically animal cruelty.

tumblr_nun6jpICFw1tf48o1o3_500.gif

He did sear it in a skillet....not cast iron, but a nice sear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

He did sear it in a skillet....not cast iron, but a nice sear.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

EDIT:  FTR  All I saw was crock pot and was on a roll.  I missed the part where you seared it first.  Crock pot rage I guess.

21 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

I had some leftovers for dinner.  No I don't have a cast iron skillet , But I did improvise. 

A cast iron skillet should be standard equipment In every kitchen. Most of mine are over 80 years old. One is near 100 as far as I can tell. 

Season it and treat it properly. It will NEVER wear out. I have one that is seasoned so well, I can heat it up, crack an egg in it, and swirl it around the skillet as if it were Teflon. Not a drop of oil.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I have one that is seasoned so well, I can heat it up, crack an egg in it, and swirl it around the skillet as if it were Teflon

Cast iron is the original non stick surface, and it don't  poison people.  Anyone that sticks food to cast iron just don't know how to cook.  Wagner and Griswold ftw.

I have both Wagner and Griswold. I also have a small skillet that was made in Taiwan. Its a bit of an oddball, it has a machined cooking surface, and isn’t as thick as my other skillets. It heats evenly, and cooks well though. 

45CE6B36-F2BF-4E46-91C5-C945F254C29A.jpeg

F48BB8F3-514A-4D3E-96B5-3BFD75DF0A86.jpeg

They will if you don't treat 'em right, or are rejuvenating them.  The slotted broiler I bought was priced $10, which was a steal, but I talked the guy down to $5 because it was almost completely rusted.  Rust is not a problem with cast iron, in fact, much like rust blueing a gun, it can serve an important purpose.

Wash lightly, dry on the stove and wipe down with oil after completely dry, then let a little more heat sink in so the iron can soak up the oil and it will never rust.

• Agree 1

When I acquired some old cast iron from a relative, I put it in my oven on the ‘clean’ cycle. This stripped it down, removing all the old seasoning. 
I then washed and dried it by hand, and put it in the oven at 450° for an hour. 
After this, carefully remove it, and put a very thin coat of oil (or lard), all over it, wipe it down, and put it back in the oven for an hour or two. Do NOT use olive oil, the smoke point is too low. Flaxseed oil is great for this. 

This will form your first layer of seasoning. The more you cook with it, the better it will get. 
Never run it through the dishwasher, and never use dish soap on it. 
If you have food sticking, heat your pan up a little, add a little oil and kosher salt, and use that to scrub the food out. 
Rinse it out, put it on the stove, and heat it up to dry it out. Then put a very thin coat of oil on it. 
Over time, you won’t have to do that, as the layers of seasoning build up. 

As I said before, I have some skillets that are as non stick as a Teflon pan. 

Edited to add: Flaxseed oil is what I use. Not peanut oil. 

• Like 1

Most of my skillets are seasoned so well I don’t have to scrub with anything other than hot water and a paper towel. 

When I DO get something stuck to one, I wash out everything I can with hot water, and put the pan back on the stove over medium heat. I’ll squirt a little bit of canola oil in the pan and a bit of coarse kosher salt. The idea is to make a paste, and use a paper towel to scrub out the stuck bits. 
After that, I’ll wash out the skillet with hot water again, place on the burner to dry it out. I’ll then give it a very thin coat of oil while the pan is hot. 

It sounds like a lot of trouble, but it’s really not. This takes maybe 5 mins. And it doesn’t remove the seasoning. 
I’ve never used a chain mail pad. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1