Rickap7

What are NICS

I find it puzzling that Firearms owners against crime (FOAC)  in Pennsylania is advocating that Pennsylvania switch over from PICS (their own check system) to NICS.  It was prior to 2020, but I think the longest PICS has taken me was 30 minutes.  Unless something has changed, NICS does not appear to be the better deal.  I find it troubling and hypocritical that firearm transactions have to  take longer than bank transactions.

6 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

I find it puzzling that Firearms owners against crime (FOAC)  in Pennsylania is advocating that Pennsylvania switch over from PICS (their own check system) to NICS.  It was prior to 2020, but I think the longest PICS has taken me was 30 minutes.  Unless something has changed, NICS does not appear to be the better deal.  I find it troubling and hypocritical that firearm transactions have to  take longer than bank transactions.

PICS like new jersey's system, sits on top of the federal NICS process. If PICS was fast, it's because NICS was at least that fast. NICS, not requiring duplicate infrastructure is financially the better deal and will always maximize response time as you aren't paying for a middle man to run a nics check. 

• Thanks 1

Some states are direct to NICS (I believe PA is direct) and thus is a much faster system

NJ is a Point of Contact state, so dealers submit to NJ & NJ Re-submits to NICS. They (NJ) get their cut off the top and you wait till they get it done. This is just another reason why NJ sucks......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes . . . As I understand it, NICS takes five to about thirty minutes.  In NJ, the request first goes to the State Police who, when they get around to it, send it to NICS and then they take their time reviewing the returned information before notifying your FFL that you are approved.

Federal NICS checks are instantly approved as soon as the dealer hits the submit button, only if the name submitted is not flagged. If not instant, the check goes into a RESEARCHING status where the identifiers are compared to the data bases searched. The time for this has recently been taking about 30 minutes. Then result could be APPROVED, DENIED, or DELAYED. The DELAYED has been taking 1 to 2 days before getting an approval. After 3 business days (Brady Law), the DELAYED goes into an OPEN status, where the dealer can transfer the firearm at his discretion. After 30 days, the status goes away. Denials are self explanatory.

Of course, in NJ the clock does not start until an NTN is issued to the dealer for a NICS check.

• Like 2

idk man i submitted my paperwork April 2, the FFL called me the 10th to inform of delay, which i knew would happen because it always does, and now here it is the 14th and still no word.  This is the 3rd business day from the 10th.  I will call him tomorrow to see if it went to OPEN status and will he transfer.  I already bought a gun through him 2 years ago so I'm hoping he will agree.  I have had no negative interactions with law enforcement of any kind aside from expired vehicle registration in 20 years.

No NJ FFL is transferring a weapon without the nics transaction number. I just waited a full 7 days for nics. Wasn’t delayed or anything. There’s something like 5,000 pending checks they are working a complete week out

On 3/22/2021 at 11:25 AM, JT Custom Guns said:

Some states are direct to NICS (I believe PA is direct) and thus is a much faster system

NJ is a Point of Contact state, so dealers submit to NJ & NJ Re-submits to NICS. They (NJ) get their cut off the top and you wait till they get it done. This is just another reason why NJ sucks......

Amen.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:51 AM, PK90 said:

Getting closer to INSTANT everyday. :facepalm:

Last time I saw instant was when I was a pink card in 2008. LOL. then it was call in with docs and get it within 3 minutes!!! Now log in and enter info into site and wait 6 days???? Now that is the dimocrap way!! Then have to pay more!

4 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Still backed up.  Status as of yesterday.

Screenshot_20220718-202856_Chrome.jpg?wi

What a joke! Everyone should apply for a C&R, pay the 30.00 and overload the system!!

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

Is there a way to get that notification? When I go to the page I don't see the notice. 

I don't get realtime info either - one of the Discord servers I'm in is the NJ Guns discord and has a NICS Queue tracker bot - it gives periodic updates.

• Like 1