revenger

looking to buy used subaru, what to look for

Not sure how far back you're looking, but any 1996 through 2004 (non turbo) Subaru with a 2.5 L four cylinder engine will need a head gasket replacement right around 100,000 miles.

The naturally aspirated EJ25 engine was used across Subaru’s lineup and can be found in the non-turbo Baja, Forester, Impreza, Legacy, and Outback.

Not a matter of "if" in those years with that engine, it's just a matter of when.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:18 PM, 124gr9mm said:

Not sure how far back you're looking, but any 1996 through 2004 (non turbo) Subaru with a 2.5 L four cylinder engine will need a head gasket replacement right around 100,000 miles.

The naturally aspirated EJ25 engine was used across Subaru’s lineup and can be found in the non-turbo Baja, Forester, Impreza, Legacy, and Outback.

Not a matter of "if" in those years with that engine, it's just a matter of when.

Yeah... I had a 2000 outback that needed a new head gasket. It made the temperature gage needle move quite a bit!   If the engine has no oil leaks, that's always a good sign too.  I had a subaru legacy with a rear engine leak that would drip on the exhaust system and make it look like the engine was smoking.

My last one was a 2002 outback h6 that lasted 334, 000 miles.  Ironically I never got the air conditioner fixed because I assumed I would only have it for 2 years, as I used to drive 70 miles to work.  My coworkers used to call that car "The toaster oven."  My kids weren't very fond of it in the summer.

overall, you'll find that subarus for the most part are decent cars. from 2010 till 2014 or so they had oil consumption issues(actually quite a few of our newer cars have that issue). for an AWD vehicle that's not a full blown suv, and is affordable to the normal(read that not spending 60-70k) person, it's hard to beat a subaru.

• Agree 1