45Doll

Container Ship Grinds Suez Canal To A Halt

I don't think this has been posted here anywhere, but the Suez Canal is shut and no one is quite sure when it will open again.

This article delves into the ramifications of shutting down the largest shipping lane in the world, and the possible economic effects.

What say you, investors? 

Holy crap! I just heard that the Ever Given blocking the Suez pipe may itself have a huge load of toilet paper, and also be causing a blockage of other ships holding same!

Stand by for Toilet Paper Shortage II !

And watch out for a discharge if/when it gets cut loose!

Here you go. More detail from Zero Hedge. It's not necessarily the finished product; it's the components.

Edited by 45Doll
Link added.
  • Haha 1

The Egyptians have been able to turn a few ships around in the canal, last count there are 9 ships that can not be turned around, there were 45 in the slot to enter the canal, some have already started the trip around Africa, some are holding hoping it’s cleared soon.

It cost the steamship line 1 million a day in fuel to sail around Africa, not to mention pirates and some of the worst seas to sail through.  

Cargo containers were already in short supply, this is only going to compound the problem 10 fold.  

There's a bunch of news videos on YT that describe the problems up to now and in the future. Apparently there's a significant risk of the hull cracking, either from the strain of the tugs pushing and pulling on it, and from the flexing that's occurring each and every time the tide shifts between high and low. These hulls aren't designed to take strain in that manner. They've already found water in several areas of the ship that should be dry and they suspect there are already micro-fissures in the steel.

'Just unload the cargo' isn't an easy way out either, because cranes large enough to do that job in the current setting are rare. One other thing I learned is that the increase from 10K container ships to 20K has happened in just the last 10 years. And crew and technology requirements have not been adjusted accordingly.

Oil and gas prices in Europe have already spiked and will go higher. Imagine if this ship breaks in half in the canal!

I bring stuff in from Taiwan, most of my containers come thru the Panama Canal. Will check all my ships Monday. The production planning dweebs ask if our deliveries were guaranteed and my reply was HAHAHAHA NO. Who could plan for a ship getting stuck? 

31 minutes ago, rifleman said:

I bring stuff in from Taiwan, most of my containers come thru the Panama Canal. Will check all my ships Monday. The production planning dweebs ask if our deliveries were guaranteed and my reply was HAHAHAHA NO. Who could plan for a ship getting stuck? 

Wow, if PanCan got shut down in a similar manner, that would really mess up the works.

That was the other thing discussed. Great opportunity to sink the ship in the canal and screw it up for months.

Or years.

It's not clear if they have any substantial security around it.

7 minutes ago, Bomber said:

"Cargo ship drew giant penis in Red Sea before wedging itself in Suez Canal"

https://www.disclose.tv/t/cargo-ship-drew-giant-penis-in-red-sea-before-wedging-itself-in-suez-canal/27201

0C37032A-C073-474D-BA20-1F331D8C8484.gif

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Bomber said:

"Cargo ship drew giant penis in Red Sea before wedging itself in Suez Canal"

https://www.disclose.tv/t/cargo-ship-drew-giant-penis-in-red-sea-before-wedging-itself-in-suez-canal/27201

That reminds me of a Jewish honeymoon joke I heard over 20 years ago. But I'm too tired to type it out now. Maybe tomorrow.

First, it looks like in this photo that the captain failed parallel parking when he got his license. And second, it's costing $400 MILLION for every hour this ship stays stuck.

A few million here and few there, and soon you're talking real money!!

The shipping crisis, now in its fifth day, has added to anxieties over the global supply chain which had already been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Each day of blockage disrupts more than $9 billion worth of goods, according to Lloyd’s List, which translates to about $400 million per hour.

Other media reports suggest at least two attempts will be made on Saturday to free the ship using the expected high tide. Reuters reported, citing sources, that work would begin at 2:30 p.m. local time.

106860501-1616856332047-04_closer_view_o

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/27/suez-canal-ever-given-owners-in-new-attempt-to-free-ship.html

Unskilled ..is not a word I’d use to describe whoever is operating that escavator.

But they might want to get a few more of those...

How the hell did it run into the side in a straight canal?  

They need a bigger canal.

11 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

Unskilled ..is not a word I’d use to  describe whoever is operating that escavator.

I think the meme was relating to manual labor..

11 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

How the hell did it run into the side in a straight canal?  

It was the Russians (we haven't blamed them for anything in a while :xD: )

Actually, some of the tin foil crowd blamed it on China, they hacked into the controls and ran it into the bank... :crazy:

13 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I don't think the Panama Canal has the same issues - being surrounded by sand.....  

If I remember right the PC is largely connected lakes with a set of lochs at various points.  I don’t think it’s the long/straight canal that suez is. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

If I remember right the PC is largely connected lakes with a set of lochs at various points.  I don’t think it’s the long/straight canal that suez is. 

You are correct. I think there are about 5 sets of locks along the way. 

All it would take is to block access of one key lock, and commerce would be screwed. 

13 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

All it would take is to block access of one key lock, and commerce would be screwed. 

That’s true. But the chances of an “accidental” event are lower since the ships are under very strict control through the lochs. 

12 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

That’s true. But the chances of an “accidental” event are lower since the ships are under very strict control through the lochs. 

I’ve never transited the ditch. I imagine the security there is pretty tight. I imagine it could be done though. 

46 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I’ve never transited the ditch. I imagine the security there is pretty tight. I imagine it could be done though. 

Z0314_8voiB2hiwAezLF8KjDMc1OdjnpQiazbi-U

I was awarded my Order of the Ditch as a civilian.   That and Shellback on the same trip. 

14 hours ago, Sniper said:

The shipping crisis, now in its fifth day, has added to anxieties over the global supply chain which had already been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic. Each day of blockage disrupts more than $9 billion worth of goods, according to Lloyd’s List, which translates to about $400 million per hour.

Another crisis how convenient.

Somebody tell me this wasn't done on purpose, my BS radar says otherwise.