45Doll

Container Ship Grinds Suez Canal To A Halt

55 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Z0314_8voiB2hiwAezLF8KjDMc1OdjnpQiazbi-U

I was awarded my Order of the Ditch as a civilian.   That and Shellback on the same trip. 

Shellback, golden shell back, and blue nose for me. All under the water . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Another crisis how convenient.

Somebody tell me this wasn't done on purpose, my BS radar says otherwise. 

The cynic in me says anything is possible... but I lean more towards other less nefarious ideas, like... are ship designers just pushing the envelope too much with these new mega-container ships? Of course, I realize that there hasn't been a full investigation yet as to underlying causes, but apparently strong wind is looking likely as one factor. The bigger the ship, the bigger the stack of containers - hey, to Mother Nature, isn't that just a nice big metal sail inviting her to send in a big wind...? ;) 

I understand that these bigger ships have commercial advantages, of course. I just think that humans sometimes put a little too much faith in their own ability to design around natural risks. There's hubris involved (not to mention greed). I just find it interesting that this incident happened right after a big uptick in containers being lost at sea over the last several months during bad weather. Many of them were lost from these newer mega-ships that were loaded to the brim - so I'm just beginning to wonder, as these ships get larger, is the risk of related problems growing as well? I'm sure some of you sea-faring types will weigh in.

But, certainly, wow!...this incident at the Suez Canal really shows the incredible importance/vulnerability of global transportation infrastructure. Damn, it's hard to imagine a more costly target than one of these canals (or a major port). 

FYI:  AIS track of Evergiven through canal 

Doesn’t appear to be a simple Sail effect given the wind direction shown in the video.  Could have been that initial action cause by wind led to a more significant wobble down stream. 

• Informative 1

One qualified captain said the normal speed through the Suez is about 8 knots, and the Ever Given was doing 13 to try and get enough steering leverage to counteract the wind effects.

So I guess when it veered towards the bank it really buried it's bow into it.

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

One qualified captain said the normal speed through the Suez is about 8 knots, and the Ever Given was doing 13 to try and get enough steering leverage to counteract the wind effects.

Yeah about 15mph to 0 - there's gotta be damage to the ship...

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

It seems that way. Here's a cross section of the canal and shows how the banks taper up. It looks like the bow really dug in, but they were able to move the stern a little today.

2021-03-27_7-47-34.jpg?itok=egFsk8sP

There must be guidelines for wind effect vs speed for these ships in terms of maneuvering in confined spaces.   Assuming nothing was broken, it seems like either someone screwed up steering the ship or they made a bad decision to proceed in weather that exceeded the limits of the ship.

Seeing reports that they got it refloated and the stern is free. Here's a pic from Twitter showing GPS position.

ExnRQnoXIAMSU2a?format=jpg&name=900x900

M/V EVER GIVEN has partially refloated in the #SuezCanal, pending official confirmation from Suez Canal Authority.

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Seeing reports that they got it refloated and the stern is free. Here's a pic from Twitter showing GPS position.

ExnRQnoXIAMSU2a?format=jpg&name=900x900

M/V EVER GIVEN has partially refloated in the #SuezCanal, pending official confirmation from Suez Canal Authority.

The stern is free - they still gotta work on the bow that grounded.  

Fox is reporting the ship is free, and not qualifying it. The video I see live seems to show the ship is more parallel to the canal bank than before. USA Today live stream of an Arab station says the ship is free.

Although it does appear to be listing slightly.

2 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Fox is reporting the ship is free, and not qualifying it. The video I see live seems to show the ship is more parallel to the canal bank than before. USA Today live stream of an Arab station says the ship is free.

Watching the live stream - man the ship is listing pretty noticeably.

image.png.e3ec965c0d7df33e7b20715654314ed1.png

Wow, there are approx 200 containers visible looking at it from the rear. Assuming approx 20 sets of those from stern to bow  == 4000 containers. Imagine the headache if that ship listed more and tipped over in the canal. 

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Watching the live stream - man the ship is listing pretty noticeably.

I was reading a different article, someone speculated that they moved ballast around to help "rock" the ship free.

1 hour ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Wow, there are approx 200 containers visible looking at it from the rear. Assuming approx 20 sets of those from stern to bow  == 4000 containers. Imagine the headache if that ship listed more and tipped over in the canal. 

Your guess is way low. This ship carries upward of 20,000

3 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

So no need to start stocking up on TP and Spam again?

If you haven't stocked up on both long ago you're too late.

100 years ago when I has to do such things a seasoned soldier would carry a roll of TP in a plastic bag (usually from a battery for a PRC77) in one of the outer pockets of his ruck.

Spam?  I probably ate 500 lbs of that.  I liked it.  Still do.

On 3/28/2021 at 6:36 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Yeah, it’s massive. Takes a hell of a long time to turn or slow down. It ain’t like driving your mommas Honda Civic. 

I remember reading that these large container ship and oil tankers to make a u-turn need about a 1 mile radius.

9 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I remember reading that these large container ship and oil tankers to make a u-turn need about a 1 mile radius.

being this one is nearly a 1/4 mile long itself, i would speculate this needs a lot more than a mile to make a u-turn under its own power..

20 minutes ago, eyeinstine said:

being this one is nearly a 1/4 mile long itself, i would speculate this needs a lot more than a mile to make a u-turn under its own power..

I think it all depends on what type of drive they have. A ship with a z drive and bow thrusters can turn pretty tight circles.

• Agree 2