Vixen1920

Compact 9mm 10 rounds—finding inventory?

I need an ergonomically friendly/compact handgun (I’m female & petite) that packs the most punch possible (which I feel means 9mm at max allowable capacity). I’m not planning on becoming an enthusiast and possessing several, so I’m not interested in buying a less than perfect fit simply because it’s in stock somewhere. 

Options I like include the Sig P365 and Ruger Security 9 Compact.

Who has something like this in stock? Am I supposed to call the nearest 25 gun shops and ask? I can barely even find available inventory online and I’m completely lost. I’m located in Morris County.

Edited by Vixen1920
edited to add location

It doesn't meet the 10 round portion of your request (but there may be some extended magazines, I'm not sure), I bought a S&W M&P 2.0 Shield EZ 9mm for my girlfriend to shoot.  She has two messed up fingers on her left hand and had trouble pulling the slide on other guns.  This one works great for her.  The two that you mention are great guns even if I am more partial to the Sig.

• Informative 1

With a subcompact gun, you may find the recoil may be more than you expect and you may not be comfortable shooting it.

I would say go for a Glock 48 or 43x.  Both come with 10 round mags standard.  The 43x and 48 are slim gripped guns - better for smaller hands.  I added some Talon Grips to mine for comfort.  The 48 has a longer barrel/slide which I personally prefer, but a lot of people like the 43x more - shorter slide/barrel and it's easier to conceal.

I've seen them in stock online at decent pricing.

Ug7KHP5.jpg

They fit well in an IWB holster too:

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

I need an ergonomically friendly/compact handgun (I’m female & petite) that packs the most punch possible (which I feel means 9mm at max allowable capacity).

I second the Smith & Wesson M&P EZ 9mm (or .380 version), both 8+1 round capacity.  Make sure to get a thumb safety version.

Try Steve at Monmouth Arms, he can order it or handle an online sale transfer. https://monmoutharms.com

Here is list of online sellers that have it in stock. (Locked and Loaded usually has good service). https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/022188879209

.380 version: https://gun.deals/product/smith-wesson-mp-380-shield-ez-manual-thumb-safety-36599

You would just call or order online like any other purchase then they ship to the FFL dealer you choose, the FFL does the paperwork and transfers firearm to you. Easy peasy.

• Thanks 1

First of all, welcome!

Secondly, do you really like the 2 you tested out? Or, are you still in shopping mode? I'm not exactly sure from your post. You still sound pretty open. Because, FYI, everyone (and his uncle) will weigh in on this thread suggesting what you should buy. Gun people are very helpful that way... but it's sometimes enough to make one's head explode, lol. IMO, there's really no substitute for trying them out before you plunk money down.  

That said, if your goal is to continue shopping for a bit, you can certainly rent any additional models at a commercial range, but I wouldn't go in with a huge list... that will start blowing more money than you need to. FYI, there are various ladies' shooting groups that have chapters in NJ - most will sponsor an "open shoot" on occasion where (even without being a paying member), you can attend one event and move down a whole row of ports trying everyone else's guns. The advantage of doing that at a women's event is that MANY people there will have picked out their own guns using similar criteria as you - small hands and/or based on weaker hand and arm strength, etc. Send me a PM and let me know where you live. If there are any chapters near you, I'll certainly send you their info. 

However, if your goal is to just move swiftly towards purchase, selecting 1 of the guns you already mentioned, then that's something different. 

So, which is it?  Again, PM me if I can be of help on the ladies' shooting events - it really is a nice way to try out a whole bunch of guns for little or no investment. It can bring a lot of clarity to your purchasing decision. (Oh, and fair warning, MOST of us thought we wouldn't become enthusiasts and that we were going to stop after buying 1 gun...ummm, yeah... good luck with that!:rofl:)

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

, you can certainly rent any additional models at a commercial range, but I wouldn't go in with a huge list... that will start blowing more money than you need to.

With prices these days rentals with ammo costs can add up quick. 

• Like 1

Options I like include the Sig P365 and Ruger Security 9 Compact.

I have a smaller hand, so a full size 9mm is a little bulky. I have a Security 9 Compact in the mail coming in any day. It's a good choice in the compact division. I also have a similar compact, a Ruger SR9C, which is about the same size, so the Security 9 will be it's twin brother. These are both good choices for mid size 9mm that have 10 round mags.

For something a little smaller, look at the LC9S, might fit your hand better. I also have one, a little bit small for my hand but a good pocket gun. Has both 7 round and 9 round mags.

Who has something like this in stock? Am I supposed to call the nearest 25 gun shops and ask? I can barely even find available inventory online and I’m completely lost.

I searched around local, and no one could get the Security 9. I ended up ordering online and have it being shipped to my local FFL for transfer. Inventory, in general, is really light. Seems everyone is spending their $1,400 stimulus checks on firearms. :pardon:

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Make sure to get a thumb safety version.

I agree with that too.

• Haha 1

Welcome.

As previously stated, smaller guns have higher recoil. Also as previously eluded too, do you best to shoot any gun you're interested in first. Why are you set on a small gun?

Good example: I took my friend the the Range to shoot some of my guns. He thought he wanted a Glock based on holding one, then he shot my SIG. He will now be buying a SIG, once his permit comes in and he can find one. Also, he was amazed how much greater the recoil of my P365 was compared to my P320, even after I warned him. He's roughly 6'6" 200#. 

If you give your general area (County or Region) someone might be able to give further guidance on where to go. 

Best of luck. 

29 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:However, if your goal is to just move swiftly towards purchase, selecting 1 of the guns you already mentioned, then that's something different. 

Well, I’m sorta wanting to move swiftly, because my twp is processing my app faster than I expected, and I know I’ll have to re-apply for the purchase permit if I wait too long, right? 

Also, I’ve sort of been online browsing & researching (with my head spinning like you said) for longer than I care to admit! 

ladies’ open sounds very cool! You make a great point on why it’d be an ideal way to pick one. I will PM because even if I buy one beforehand I think it’d probably still be a good thing for me to do..

5 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

Well, I’m sorta wanting to move swiftly, because my twp is processing my app faster than I expected, and I know I’ll have to re-apply for the purchase permit if I wait too long, right? 

Permits are good for 90 days with a possible extension to 180 days.  However, I think with the new electronic permits, they're good for 180 days automatically.  You will have a little time :)

2 hours ago, Bomber said:

I second the Smith & Wesson M&P EZ 9mm (or .380 version), both 8+1 round capacity.  Make sure to get a thumb safety version.

I think my dad might’ve recommended the S&W... and 8 might be acceptable esp if there are extended mags. Is it easy to operate?

Why do you think my brother would’ve told me to not get a safety if I can avoid it? That’s basically the only tip tip offered. I asked why and he just said “You don’t need it.”  I’m thinking he feels it’s a nuisance or something...? 

Thank you for the links and and guidance. 

2 hours ago, EdF said:

She has two messed up fingers on her left hand and had trouble pulling the slide on other guns.  This one works great for her

It’s particularly manageable, then?  That’s interesting. I definitely would like to avoid worrying pinching my skin and breaking my nails. 

PSA has the Shield EZ 9 in stock for $450 + shipping/tax... Get that shipped to a good FFL with a decent transfer fee.  Let us know where about you live and we can recommend a good FFL.

Without Safety:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shield-ez-9mm-pistol-without-manual-safety-black-12437.html

With Safety:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shield-ez-9mm-pistol-with-manual-safety-black-12436.html

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Welcome.

As previously stated, smaller guns have higher recoil. Also as previously eluded too, do you best to shoot any gun you're interested in first. Why are you set on a small gun?

Good example: I took my friend the the Range to shoot some of my guns. He thought he wanted a Glock based on holding one, then he shot my SIG. He will now be buying a SIG, once his permit comes in and he can find one. Also, he was amazed how much greater the recoil of my P365 was compared to my P320, even after I warned him. He's roughly 6'6" 200#. 

If you give your general area (County or Region) someone might be able to give further guidance on where to go. 

Best of luck. 

So... I did exclude certain (sub)compact options based on the recoil issue. According to what I’m seeing online, the two I listed have a relatively minimal amount of recoil considering their size. Which glock was your friend interested in? I have shot two but I can only remember that one was the 26. Does the P365 have more recoil than that? 

It’s a little hard for me to load guns and I feel like I’m gonna break nails and pinch skin. I thought something compact would make it feel more manageable, and that the reduced size would give me more control. 

Edited by Krdshrk
Fixed the last line - remember it's a public forum viewable by all...

4 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

So... I did exclude certain (sub)compact options based on the recoil issue. According to what I’m seeing online, the two I listed have a relatively minimal amount of recoil considering their size. Which glock was your friend interested in? I have shot two but I can only remember that one was the 26. Does the P365 have more recoil than that? 

It’s a little hard for me to load guns and I feel like I’m gonna break nails and pinch skin. I thought something compact would make it feel more manageable, and that the reduced size would give me more control. 

Subcompacts all will recoil more than a full size or even a compact.  Because they're small and light, the amount of recoil will be much more no matter what.  Larger, heavier pistols will have less felt recoil.

With loading mags - you can get mag loaders that will make it very easy to load.  I use a Maglula to load my mags.  It's definitely a thumb saver.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

With a subcompact gun, you may find the recoil may be more than you expect and you may not be comfortable shooting it.

I would say go for a Glock 48 or 43x.  Both come with 10 round mags standard.  The 43x and 48 are slim gripped guns - better for smaller hands.  I added some Talon Grips to mine for comfort.  The 48 has a longer barrel/slide which I personally prefer, but a lot of people like the 43x more - shorter slide/barrel and it's easier to conceal.

I looked into the 43, but saw that it has a 6+1 mag. I didn’t know about the 43x or 48! I might like the idea of that one of those.

I really like that the P365 (often) comes with an extended 12 capacity mag. I think you can even get a 15, unless I’m confusing it with something else I looked at. (Struggling to keep track.) Too much recoil definitely would make me uncomfortable, though. 

Edited by Vixen1920
I realized you wrote 43x not 43

1 minute ago, Vixen1920 said:

I looked into the 43, but saw that it has a 6+1 mag....? I didn’t know about the 48. I might like the idea of that one. 

I really like that the P365 (often) comes with an extended 12 capacity mag. I think you can even get a 15, unless I’m confusing it with something else I looked at. (Struggling to keep track.) 

43 is 6+1.  The 43x and 48 are 10+1 native capacity.  

P365 does have a 12 round mag - however that's not legal here in NJ currently.  

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

I have a smaller hand, so a full size 9mm is a little bulky. I have a Security 9 Compact in the mail coming in any day. It's a good choice in the compact division. I also have a similar compact, a Ruger SR9C, which is about the same size, so the Security 9 will be it's twin brother. These are both good choices for mid size 9mm that have 10 round mags.

For something a little smaller, look at the LC9S, might fit your hand better. I also have one, a little bit small for my hand but a good pocket gun. Has both 7 round and 9 round mags.

I searched around local, and no one could get the Security 9. I ended up ordering online and have it being shipped to my local FFL for transfer. Inventory, in general, is really light. Seems everyone is spending their $1,400 stimulus checks on firearms. :pardon:

I agree with that too.

I replied with laughter at the stimulus check remark. How come you want the security 9 compact if you also have the lc9s? I think I was looking into that one at one point and MAYBE read that it has more recoil, and that’s why I stopped looking at it. I can’t remember now, though, and it seems like a decent option again. LOL. 

where did you order your security 9 compact from? 

8 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

43 is 6+1.  The 43x and 48 are 10+1 native capacity.  

P365 does have a 12 round mag - however that's not legal here in NJ currently.  

I did notice you wrote 43x and not 43 when I looked again. That sounds like a pretty solid option... 

Wait—I know the 12 isn’t legal but if I did order the P365 and it comes with two 10 mags AND one 12 extended mag—would the FFL I ship it to not let me have it?! Lol. 

10 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

I did notice you wrote 43x and not 43 when I looked again. That sounds like a pretty solid option... 

Wait—I know the 12 isn’t legal but if I did order the P365 and it comes with two 10 mags AND one 12 extended mag—would the FFL I ship it to not let me have it?! Lol. 

Depends on where you purchase it from - Some websites that drop ship will just remove the mag.  Bud's Gun Shop for example - if a gun comes with 3 mags that are not NJ legal, they'll just keep the mags and ship only the gun without a single magazine.  Some websites will ship with the mag and the FFL you transfer it through can either remove the non-NJ legal mag, or modify it (for a fee) to 10 rounds.

It looks like pretty much every P365 comes with 10 round mags - there's also "state compliant" versions of a lot of guns that come with only 10 round mags.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

PSA has the Shield EZ 9 in stock for $450 + shipping/tax... Get that shipped to a good FFL with a decent transfer fee.  Let us know where about you live and we can recommend a good FFL.

Without Safety:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shield-ez-9mm-pistol-without-manual-safety-black-12437.html

With Safety:
https://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shield-ez-9mm-pistol-with-manual-safety-black-12436.html

I see why you’re recommend this now. I didn’t realize what EZ refers to. While it looks a little unattractive (very masculine) to me, and I did want 10 rounds, I feel like this might be the smartest choice.

Is it significantly more manageable than the 43x (even if I get that mag loader), or is the difference somewhat trivial in the grand scheme? 

I’m in parsippany, Morris county. Know of a place with low transfer fees? 

The only 9mm that I can think of that comes to mind on your criteria would be either a Glock 43x or a Glock 48. The MOS model with a rail for accessories came out recently so be on the lookout for that one. They are about the size of a Glock 19 but much slimmer and it’s 10 rounds standard. My mom has a S&W performance center EZ shield in 380 acp that she and I like, it’s a nice size. Ultimate you got to go to a rental range and try out different options. Gotta see how each operate, how you can handle the recoil and safely operate the handgun. 

Also, what you trying to do with the handgun. We unfortunately can’t conceal carry in this state, so if this will be used for home defense you would want to go with a bigger 9mm with a rail to attach a weapon mounted light.

29 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

I replied with laughter at the stimulus check remark. How come you want the security 9 compact if you also have the lc9s? I think I was looking into that one at one point and MAYBE read that it has more recoil, and that’s why I stopped looking at it. I can’t remember now, though, and it seems like a decent option again. LOL. 

I want the Security 9, because you can never have enough tools in the toolbox. I believe, the right tool, for the right job. Maybe that's why I own over a dozen power drills.. :yahoo:

Plus the Security 9 compact is a little lighter than the SR9C and larger than the LC9S, so it fits right in between them. The LC9s, being lighter, might have more recoil, but if it fits your grip better (it's a personal preference), you might not have an issue (you mentioned you were petite, right?). I don't notice a big difference between the two. The LC9 is a lot easier to rack.

36 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

where did you order your security 9 compact from? 

It was tough to find in stock, most places were out:  https://shopdunns.com/

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

I see why you’re recommend this now. I didn’t realize what EZ refers to. While it looks a little unattractive (very masculine) to me, and I did want 10 rounds, I feel like this might be the smartest choice.

Is it significantly more manageable than the 43x (even if I get that mag loader), or is the difference somewhat trivial in the grand scheme? 

I’m in parsippany, Morris county. Know of a place with low transfer fees? 

The Glock 43. 43x is known to be a snappy (sharp recoiling gun). The extra two rounds isn't going to help if you can't keep the gun on target.

The Smith 9mm EZ is a smooth shooter, the .380 version even more so. 

I recommend the thumb safety for the EZ because it is a hammer fired gun with a very light trigger, meaning the hammer is cocked when a round in chambered. The result is excellent trigger but it needs the extra safety to help prevent accidental discharges IMO.  

Ottomanelllie's in Woodland park  or RSTP in Randolph may have some in stock if you want see how they feel but the former may not let you handle their firearms without an FID. Call first.

As for FFL's I use Monmouth Arms, its a long drive but well worth it  Transfer prices are fair.

BTW here is the feminine version:

https://www.guns.com/firearms/handguns/semi-auto/smith-&-wesson-m&p-shield-ez-slide-robins-egg-blue-380-acp-semi-auto-8-1-rounds-3-6-barrel-not-specified-new?p=68889

26 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I want the Security 9, because you can never have enough tools in the toolbox. I believe, the right tool, for the right job. Maybe that's why I own over a dozen power drills.. :yahoo:

Plus the Security 9 compact is a little lighter than the SR9C and larger than the LC9S, so it fits right in between them. The LC9s, being lighter, might have more recoil, but if it fits your grip better (it's a personal preference), you might not have an issue (you mentioned you were petite, right?). I don't notice a big difference between the two. The LC9 is a lot easier to rack.

It was tough to find in stock, most places were out:  https://shopdunns.com/

A dozen power drills—Lmao!

Omg! There’s one left in stock on that website. That is giving me anxiety! It’s a very good price too... a lot better than this Glock 43x, but I can’t believe I found it in FDE also in stock...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/glock-43x-9mm-pistol-dark-earth-acg-00863.html

I’m kinda dying inside not knowing what to do! I mean, I could get the Ruger cerakoted any color I want for the $200 price difference, although I probably wouldn’t. Someone on here thinks the Security will have too much recoil for liking  :o( 

What do you think it is that makes the LC9S easier to rack? Do they always become easier to rack as they decrease in size? 

8 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

Do they always become easier to rack as they decrease in size? 

No, actually its usually the opposite, same with recoil. The  S&W Sheild for example can be nearly impossible to work the slide for some females.

The Smith EZ slides are like butter, especially the .380 

13 minutes ago, Bomber said:

The Glock 43 is known to be a snappy (sharp recoiling gun). The extra two rounds isn't going to help if you can't keep the gun on target.

The Smith 9mm EZ is a smooth shooter, the .380 version even more so. 

I recommend the thumb safety for the EZ because it is a hammer fired gun with a very light trigger, meaning the hammer is cocked when a round in chambered. The result is excellent trigger but it needs the extra safety to help prevent accidental discharges IMO.  

Ottomanelllie's in Woodland park  or RSTP in Randolph may have some in stock if you want see how they feel but the former may not let you handle their firearms without an FID. Call first.

As for FFL's I use Monmouth Arms, its a long drive but well worth it  Transfer prices are fair.

BTW here is the feminine version:

https://www.guns.com/firearms/handguns/semi-auto/smith-&-wesson-m&p-shield-ez-slide-robins-egg-blue-380-acp-semi-auto-8-1-rounds-3-6-barrel-not-specified-new?p=68889

I see. He did tell me to get center fire at the same time he said to not get a safety. I’m remembering now. You think the manual safety is advisable, even considering the grip safety that’s on the back? 

ive been to RSTP. I should call and see if they have that and *maybe* I can rent the 43 to test its recoil. 

26 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

I see. He did tell me to get center fire at the same time he said to not get a safety. I’m remembering now. You think the manual safety is advisable, even considering the grip safety that’s on the back? 
ive been to RSTP. I should call and see if they have that and *maybe* I can rent the 43 to test its recoil. 

The grip safety isn't enough IMO.

The EZ has a light short pull hammer fired trigger, great for fast accurate shots. It can easily be removed if you don't want it.   

I can almost guaranteed you'll find the 43 or 43x pretty harsh, plus they have the weird Glock grip angle and texture. Some people don't mind, for me it was immediate deal killer the first time I picked one up.