Vixen1920

Compact 9mm 10 rounds—finding inventory?

22 minutes ago, Bomber said:

The grip safety isn't enough IMO.

The EZ has a light short pull hammer fired trigger, great for fast accurate shots. It can easily be removed if you don't want it.   

I can almost guaranteed you'll find the 43 or 43x pretty harsh, plus they have the weird Glock grip angle and texture. Some people don't mind, for me it was immediate deal killer the first time I picked one up.

That's actually why I'm not as big a fan of the G43x vs the G48 that I have.  I've shot both and prefer the feel of the 48 as there's more mass to help soak up the recoil.  The Shield EZs are definitely easy to shoot but again - smaller gun, more recoil.  I have a Shield (non-EZ model) and it's smaller than the G48... and is definitely more snappy.

2 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

I see why you’re recommend this now. I didn’t realize what EZ refers to. While it looks a little unattractive (very masculine) to me, and I did want 10 rounds, I feel like this might be the smartest choice.

Is it significantly more manageable than the 43x (even if I get that mag loader), or is the difference somewhat trivial in the grand scheme? 

I’m in parsippany, Morris county. Know of a place with low transfer fees? 

The Shield EZ is definitely easy to manipulate - I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to rack and manipulate.  However, I'm not a fan of the grip safety at all.  They have the grip safety because the trigger on the Shield EZ is a lot lighter than most subcompact concealed carry type guns.  Trigger pull on the Shield EZ is about 4.5 lbs vs about 6lbs or more for other small guns.  

I would say try out as many guns as possible.  If you can rent some, great.  Gun For Hire definitely has a ton of rentals available.  Also, the Second Amendment Women shooting club has events there.  Check them out:  http://sawshootingclub.com/

As for a FFL - I would say FSS Armory up by you, unless others have a better option.  I doubt you'll find a "cheap" FFL up in North Jersey :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife has the .380 EZ, she is 4’11 with very small hands, it fits her perfect, recoil is not an issue for her with that gun. She also shoots my guns, one that she enjoys is my Colt 1911 in .45 auto, much bigger gun and heavier, she handles the recoil fine and enjoys shooting it, she can rack the slide with some effort, definitely not as easy as her .380 but she can do it. My point is, don’t pass on a gun because you read about recoil, as others have said, heavier guns have less felt recoil. Another gun I have is a Beretta 92x performance it is a 9mm but very heavy almost no recoil with it and I mean almost none, she likes shooting it but the weight is to much for her, after one mag she says, that’s enough, I can’t hold it up anymore.  

• Informative 1

7 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

I think my dad might’ve recommended the S&W... and 8 might be acceptable esp if there are extended mags. Is it easy to operate?

Why do you think my brother would’ve told me to not get a safety if I can avoid it? That’s basically the only tip tip offered. I asked why and he just said “You don’t need it.”  I’m thinking he feels it’s a nuisance or something...? 

Thank you for the links and and guidance. 

Hi !

Your getting good advice....take @Mrs. Peel up on her request.

A striker fired pistol by nature does not need a safety per se.  That is due to its operation mechanism.

So i am going to digress from the crowd....and if i am incorrect in anything i say, please correct me.

Female

No real interest in guns except for self defense 

Plans on only one purchase

Ok, so here is the thing...  buy a revolver.

Seriously, consider it. It is brute force reliable where if you have stoppages with the semi auto it will take at least some skill and knowledge to clear and bring the gun back to action.

A revolver is kinda like set it and forget it....pull the trigger did it go bang? No pull the trigger again till it does...

I have many different pistols...and my daughter 24 just handled the 357 magnum with full house loads no problem.

If you can to try to shoot some, i can guest you at cherry ridge....and you can try em.

:)

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

So... I did exclude certain (sub)compact options based on the recoil issue. According to what I’m seeing online, the two I listed have a relatively minimal amount of recoil considering their size. Which glock was your friend interested in? I have shot two but I can only remember that one was the 26. Does the P365 have more recoil than that? 

It’s a little hard for me to load guns and I feel like I’m gonna break nails and pinch skin. I thought something compact would make it feel more manageable, and that the reduced size would give me more control. 

I don't recall what Glock he was interested in. Personally, I have zero interest in a Glock after holding a few and shooting one many years ago; so I don't even try to remember their models. Likewise I can not compare recoil to a Glock. I can say that I prefer shooting my SIG P365 vs M&P Shield. They are similar in size & weight, but the minor differences in that and other engineering makes the P365 more comfortable for me; which equals better accuracy as well. 

The loading question was answered by someone else. That can also be solved with a Revolver as mentioned above. I agree you should at least consider one, that would also eliminate the possible difficulty of racking the slide. They are "typically" slightly heavier than a similarly sized semi-auto (aka bottom-feeders as the purists call them), which again helps with recoil. 

I will also echo the suggestion you take Mrs. Peel up on her offer. 

In addition to the other options mentioned, a Basic Handgun Class (a must-take in my opinion) typically has multiple handguns available to fondle and shoot. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Ok, so here is the thing...  buy a revolver.

Seriously, consider it. It is brute force reliable where if you have stoppages with the semi auto it will take at least some skill and knowledge to clear and bring the gun back to action.

my aunt was talking about getting herself at revolver with the same thought process but for some reason I hadn’t considered it. That’s not a half bad idea. I’ll definitely make sure I can try that before getting anything else. Thanks! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

ladies’ open sounds very cool! You make a great point on why it’d be an ideal way to pick one. I will PM because even if I buy one beforehand I think it’d probably still be a good thing for me to do..

If you're in the north east of NJ take a look at http://sawshootingclub.com/

They have a monthly meet at Gun For Hire in Woodland Park with instructors in their membership who can help you out. They also benefit from free rentals during the meet - you just have to use ammo you buy from the range.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Vixen1920 said:

my aunt was talking about getting herself at revolver with the same thought process but for some reason I hadn’t considered it. That’s not a half bad idea. I’ll definitely make sure I can try that before getting anything else. Thanks! 

Not HALF BAD !?!?  ;)

LOL

My oldest daughter has a Smith airweight Model 37 in 38spl.  My youngest is getting a  Smith Model 36 - both J frame round butt that fit their hands great....  i have the same 36 in square butt for my hands...

These are snub nosed revolvers - they are NOT target guns...  but at the ranges they were designed for they are effective.

Also consider this...and i just demonstrated this to my daughters BF.  

If you are attacked, good chance it will end up on the ground or even standing and the attacker is on you and assuming you can get the gun out and into action....IF you press a semi auto pistol into the attacker, as would be most likely your first thought to create distance...and push em away...if enough pressure is on the muzzle it will force the gun out of battery....once out of battery trigger doesn't work   

Revolvers do not have that problem...

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

The "get a revolver" dinosaurs always pop up in these threads eventually. They want you to get what they like, not what is right for you.

Next will be suggestions for a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

There is a reason LE switched from revolvers to hi-cap semi-autos decades ago.

Revolvers are low capacity, high recoil, with a long heavy 12 pound trigger pull, the opposite of what you were looking for.

• Haha 1
  • FacePalm 2

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

The "get a revolver" dinosaurs always pop up in these threads eventually. They want you to get what they like, not what is right for you.

Next will be suggestions for a 12 gauge pump shotgun.

There is a reason LE switched from revolvers to hi-cap semi-autos decades ago.

Revolvers are low 6 shot capacity, high recoil, with a long heavy 12 pound trigger pull, the opposite of what you were looking for.

Oh stop being a mall ninja.... :ninja: lol. 

:drinks:

Consider this, someone who has little experience with a firearm that has to manipulate it under stress and has an adrenal dump, that causes frog brain...and tunnel vision...may do much better with a simplistic weapon in lieu of a whiz bang hi cap polymer wonder....  assess her need and skill set....  

Stop inferring the idea that she is going to encounter some armed up cartel gang like a LEO.....  granted while that CAN happen.... 

She may do better as a new owner with something simplistic...KISS principle....to start.

Btw i don't know what revolvers your shooting...and with what ammo...BUT a 38 snubbie as compared to a 6" 44mag is not the conversation.

Also 12g pump guns are a staple in any arsenal and are very effective for self defense of home and self.

@Vixen1920...  there are many tools that you can choose from....  try them all....  and remember this......  if everyone is thinking the same way then someone isnt thinking....  :)

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bomber said:

Revolvers are low capacity, high recoil, with a long heavy 12 pound trigger pull, the opposite of what you were looking for.

Oh, forgot to mention, difficult to re-load under stress.

Better make sure those six shots count and/or hope there is only one assailant.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bomber said:Revolvers are low 6 shot capacity, high recoil, with a long heavy 12 pound trigger pull, the opposite of what you were looking for.

LOL @ the shotgun... Ok... that makes sense. I did see online that the revolvers have high recoil. I’ll stick with semi automatic then and try out some revolvers if I do end up ever wanting something additional. 

1 hour ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Consider this, someone who has little experience with a firearm that has to manipulate it under stress and has an adrenal dump, that causes frog brain...and tunnel vision...may do much better with a simplistic weapon in lieu of a whiz bang hi cap polymer wonder....  assess her need and skill set....  

That is my concern and why I was wanting 10 round capacity... and figured I’d keep several magazines loaded on the side, just in case the cartel or government comes :icon_lol: 

which replacer would you recommend for me to try, all things considered? 

I might just re-apply for the purchase permit once I try out several options but I’m getting concerned that it’s going to become increasingly difficult or illegal to obtain them in the upcoming months/years.

3 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

If you're in the north east of NJ take a look at http://sawshootingclub.com/

They have a monthly meet at Gun For Hire in Woodland Park with instructors in their membership who can help you out. They also benefit from free rentals during the meet - you just have to use ammo you buy from the range.

Thanks I found them on Facebook and am getting notifications for their next event in April 

11 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

That is my concern and why I was wanting 10 round capacity... and figured I’d keep several magazines loaded on the side, just in case the cartel or government comes :icon_lol: 

which replacer would you recommend for me to try, all things considered? 

I might just re-apply for the purchase permit once I try out several options but I’m getting concerned that it’s going to become increasingly difficult or illegal to obtain them in the upcoming months/years.

For what it is worth, i keep a glock 26 with night sights under the pillow...flashlight and amplified muffs next to the bed...and 5 loaded mags...  @Bomber  :)

Also is my 12g mossberg 590...  shotgun is patrol ready and the glock condition 3.

The only reason for the Glock is that it is stupid accurate....  this glock...  most of the others i have owned i have sold as i didn't like them..  g43 19 17 36 etc....  YMMV.

If the cartel or gov come...grab an M1 or M1A....

Your focusing a lot on a specific item...the gun.....based on others who have experience with firearms...their experiences are not yours...you need to create your own to see what works for you.

If you are specifically worried you need to get something NOW....seriosuly a 38 special 4" revolver will not let you down.  ( i know where there are two right now for sale) - Till you can get more experience training and experience...did i say experience...and exposure to other firearms to see what works for you....

Like others have said go to a class....perfect for new shooters...take @Mrs. Peel up on her offer...

Heck meet me at CR...  you pay to get in...  you can shoot...  a myriad of guns in one setting to get a feel for caliber and recoil...  there will be no sigs...no HK etc...don't like em...hate the triggers...  again my opinion and experience.

38 357 9mm 45acp and 9mm Makarov..which you won't like....lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

For what it is worth, i keep a glock 26 with night sights under the pillow...flashlight and amplified muffs next to the bed...and 5 loaded mags...

Wow...

You might want to consider moving to a safer neighborhood.... :shok:  :victory:

• Haha 1

I have a LC9S pro and it always surprises me how little felt recoil there is - possibly because I always expect more from such a tiny, light gun.  I am certainly not saying its a .22 heavy barrel target pistol which doesn't move when fired, but that my expectations were different than actual results.  That said, it is still *not* a gun I would start a new shooter with.

I have taken girlfriends shooting, and they have tried my Sig P226, Sig Pro 2022, 1911, and Glock 23 (and .22 pistols, but we will ignore those). Working the slide has been a bigger issue for them, even on larger pistols.  Grip fit has been surprisingly less of an issue, especially since I do have bigger hands and they have not.  Their inability to safely lock the slide back manually has been one of my biggest concerns and is something I now concentrate on before taking new shooters out.

Whatever you get, make sure it fits you well and that manipulating the slide is something you can do. If you have to shift your hand all over to reach controls, or cannot pull the slide back somewhat easily, probably not the best gun for you. Unfortunately, now is a bad time to try a bunch of guns because both guns and ammo can be hard (or at least expensive) to find.

Do take Mrs Peel up on her offer to help, she is very good people.

Some kind of formal training is not a bad idea, whatever you get.

Do not feel pressured to get something which does not fit you well. It is a personal thing, and you need to be comfortable shooting your gun. Something uncomfortable will get shot less, meaning you'll be less prepared if you ever had to use it.

Take everything you read online with a grain of salt.  There is a lot out there which is very subjective (like my LC9S comment above.)  And while gun store employees *can* be helpful, they can just be telling you what you want to hear.

If you decide you want something a bit heavier and less compact, especially since you won't be concealed carrying all around NJ, Sig P239 or P225 are metal framed pistols which may fit you due to slimmer grips.

You will get 1000s of suggestions as to what is best for someone else. Narrowing things down to what works best for you will always be the hard part. Good luck.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Wow...

You might want to consider moving to a safer neighborhood.... :shok:  :victory:

Lololol.....  its very safe....  that's just for bumps in the night...   for real problems the M1 or 1A comes comes out...

Being out in the sticks....  police are not around the corner and the response time, well takes time...  and by the time they get there its all over.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:18 PM, Vixen1920 said:

It’s particularly manageable, then?  That’s interesting. I definitely would like to avoid worrying pinching my skin and breaking my nails. 

I didn't say that it would avoid either of those things.  The fact that the slide is easier to pull back MAY help with your nails but you have most of the same issues if you get skin between two pieces of moving metal!

4 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Whatever you get, make sure it fits you well and that manipulating the slide is something you can do. If you have to shift your hand all over to reach controls, or cannot pull the slide back somewhat easily, probably not the best gun for you. Unfortunately, now is a bad time to try a bunch of guns because both guns and ammo can be hard (or at least expensive) to find.

Do take Mrs Peel up on her offer to help, she is very good people.

2 things to add to this:

1) I'm not nearly advanced or confident enough to teach anyone... I just want to make that clear! I know my limitations, lol. :blush:  But what I am good at is directing women to resources where they can get help from people who ARE good enough to teach! And if someone doesn't live too far from me, I'll even meet them at an event so they have a friendly face there (in case they're hesitant to go it alone). I hate to make assumptions based on gender, but I do find that women tend to be social creatures more so than guys - and that extends into the shooting sports. They will shoot MORE if they if they first hook up with a shooting group... so I tend to encourage that they at least check them out. There's multiple groups and chapters around NJ. 

2) as far as stiff slides, one of the things I learned from women instructors' is that technique is EVERYTHING! Most guys can just hold the grip with one hand, and pull back the slide with the other using the tips of their fingers - no problem. Their hands are strong so they don't even have to think about it, lucky bastards! For anyone with weaker hands though (which includes a lot of women), cupping your entire hand over the slide (the end part of your fingers flat on one side, your palm on the other side) makes a HUGE difference - it provides more gripping area. I personally like to grip from further up on the slide also - which is why I got a gun that has front as well as rear serrations. Also, the other thing I learned is not to PULL back the slide. If you have weaker hands, it's way, way easier to hold the slide firmly with the one hand, and with the hand that's wrapped around the grips, PUSH the gun forward. (You can even swing your arm/shoulder into the movement). I'm not sure I'm explaining it right... but I can attest it's just a ton easier for a weak-handed shooter to push rather than to pull

I know we've had other threads about this also... but there are also various gadgets that people can add to their guns that make it easier to manipulate the slide.

Though true enough, as others alluded... there's nothing wrong with revolvers... and I see a fair number of them at ladies shooting events!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Though true enough, as others alluded... there's nothing wrong with revolvers... and I see a fair number of them at ladies shooting events!

But, but @Mrs. Peel...its not tactical enough....  lol

As men unzip and grab a tape measure.....   lol

Too much?  Eh maybe...

@Vixen1920 needs to get out and shoot...

Be a student of weapons craft....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Being out in the sticks....  police are not around the corner and the response time, well takes time...  and by the time they get there its all over.

Isn't that the case all over, even in urban environments? The saying, "When SECONDS count, police are on MINUTES away, and will be there shortly, to take the report".

So for a H.D. situation, everyone needs to plan accordingly, no matter where they are, city or country.

I know in my case all emergency situations: police, fire, first aid, disaster, etc.  revolve around what I can accomplish myself. There's no plan to have help from any of the above, and my thoughts are, "when they get here, they get here". I've planned for H.D. situations from all areas of the house and property. Calling 911 isn't part of the initial plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Isn't that the case all over, even in urban environments? The saying, "When SECONDS count, police are on MINUTES away, and will be there shortly, to take the report".

So for a H.D. situation, everyone needs to plan accordingly, no matter where they are, city or country.

I know in my case all emergency situations: police, fire, first aid, disaster, etc.  revolve around what I can accomplish myself. There's no plan to have help from any of the above, and my thoughts are, "when they get here, they get here". I've planned for H.D. situations from all areas of the house and property. Calling 911 isn't part of the initial plan.

nooneiscomingmoralepatchwhite_1024x1024.

• Agree 1

As others  have said, you have approx. 3 months from when your permits are issued.  So  you have some time.

I would recommend  a CZ P01 or any in their "compact" (they call them "compact" but they aren't small at all) line.

CZ are known fo being some of the most ergonomic handguns around.  They are metal / alloy so helps to mitigate some of the recoil.

Once you learn how to propertly handle the firearm while shooting it the recoil won't be much of an issue.  9mm doesn't have much recoil to begin with.

You could also look at revolvers.  No racking the slide, no flying hot brass, no failure to feeds or stovepipes (stuck brass when ejecting) or other semi-auto problems to worry about.  You can run 38 Special throught a 357 revolver.  Very mild shooting.  Since you can't conceal carry in NJ look at 4 inch barrels.  Revolvers are simpe to understand, operate and maintain.  And you don't have to worry too much about breaking your nails with a revolver.  

CZ Compacts:
https://cz-usa.com/product-category/handguns/75-compact-series/

Ruger GP100:
https://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1705.html

S&W 686:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-686-0?sku=164222

It sounds like you don't have much experience with firearms.  Can  your brother take you to the range?  If not there are women firearm groups in NJ.  They used to host woman only get together at ranges.  Not sure if they have been doing so recently due to Covid.  You may want to reach out to one of them.

Second Amendment Womens group (SAW) looks to have an upcoming get together on April 13th at the Gun for Hire Range in Woodland Park, NJ.  Updated....and I see mulitple people have already recommended this group.  LOL.

http://Gun for Hire’s Range Woodland Park Next Meet Up – April 13th @7pm Only $12 for members to share our ports!

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 6:25 PM, Vixen1920 said:

LOL @ the shotgun... Ok... that makes sense. I did see online that the revolvers have high recoil. I’ll stick with semi automatic then and try out some revolvers if I do end up ever wanting something additional. 

Depends on several factors.  Two of the largest being what sized revolver and what your are shooting through it.

As I mentioned earlier, you can shoot 38 Special ammo throught a 357 revolver (but never other way around).  Shooting 38 Special through a 4 inch 357 revolver is what I would consider VERY mild recoil.  I've had a number woman shoot my Ruger GP100 with 38 Special ammo and they were all pleasantly surprised at how mild and manageble the recoil was.  

If at all possbile, get youself to the upcoming SAW event.  Try out a few firearms so you can get some idea of what you like.  I'm sure the woman in the group will be more than happy to help you and show you several different options and provide you with some safetly lessons.  

Best of luck to you!  Have fun and be safe.

Here's an idea  Since your Aunt expressed an interest in purchasing a revolver, see if she can join you at the SAW event!  Or bring a girlfriend and make it a girls night out.  Perhap having another family member or friend with you will make a you little more comfortable.

The truth of the matter is, people can make suggestions to you all day long.  But until you get something in your hand and a few rounds through it you really have no way of knowing how it will feels FOR YOU.

And I agree with what @CAL. .30 M1 said.  If you have very limited firearms expercience and are looking to buy something and invest little to nothing in training (I would advise you to take at the very minimum a safetly course) then look at a revolver.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

The truth of the matter is, people can make suggestions to you all day long.  But until you get something in your hand and a few rounds through it you really have no way of knowing how it will feels FOR YOU.

^^^This!^^^ A million times.

And please, get some training no matter what you end up with. 

11 minutes ago, kc17 said:

^^^This!^^^ A million times.

And please, get some training no matter what you end up with. 

.....  tounge placed firmly in cheek  .....

Training?!?!?!  How dare you suggest a firearms safety class for a RIGHT !  FOR SHAME...!