Vixen1920

Compact 9mm 10 rounds—finding inventory?

On 3/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, EdF said:

I didn't say that it would avoid either of those things.  The fact that the slide is easier to pull back MAY help with your nails but you have most of the same issues if you get skin between two pieces of moving metal!

Great point. That could be bad too:yahoo: I decided I’m not getting the EZ 9 because I’m too proud to do that as an able bodied 30 yr old. I’ll just have to stop treating my hands like they’re so delicate (wish me luck) and use some muscles. That way I’ll better equip myself with the ability to competently handle any given pistol rather than just my own. Plus, it occurred to me that my brother would say it was embarrassing and unnecessary of me, and he’d probably be right (lol).

I’ll reserve the purchase for a more autumnal or disadvantaged season of my life. 

6 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

It’s safe but a bleaker future looms upon us by the day considering the very alarming and numerous legislation being entertained. 

Which is exactly why I ordered the Security 9. I didn't "need" it, but figured, what the hell, get it while the getting is good.

8 hours ago, Vixen1920 said:

I decided I’m not getting the EZ 9 because I’m too proud to do that as an able bodied 30 yr old. I’ll just have to stop treating my hands like they’re so delicate (wish me luck) and use some muscles. That way I’ll better equip myself with the ability to competently handle any given pistol rather than just my own. Plus, it occurred to me that my brother would say it was embarrassing and unnecessary of me, and he’d probably be right (lol).

Don't let vanity make the decision.  Before you said it looked too masculine? 

The S&W EZ 9mm is throwing out the same rounds at the same velocities as any other comparable 9mm pistol. You're not going to be making battlefield pick ups and need proficiency with a variety of weapons.

The whole history of small arms development has been towards smaller, lighter, faster. 

The fact that a firearm is easier to operate and keep shots on target is a tactical advantage not something be ashamed of...:fie:

On 3/29/2021 at 1:46 AM, gleninjersey said:

Depends on several factors.  Two of the largest being what sized revolver and what your are shooting through it.

As I mentioned earlier, you can shoot 38 Special ammo throught a 357 revolver (but never other way around).  Shooting 38 Special through a 4 inch 357 revolver is what I would consider VERY mild recoil.  I've had a number woman shoot my Ruger GP100 with 38 Special ammo and they were all pleasantly surprised at how mild and manageble the recoil was.  

If at all possbile, get youself to the upcoming SAW event.  Try out a few firearms so you can get some idea of what you like.  I'm sure the woman in the group will be more than happy to help you and show you several different options and provide you with some safetly lessons.  

Best of luck to you!  Have fun and be safe.

The one potential show stopper for a revolver as a defensive firearm for people who have less strong hands is the the long, heavy double action trigger in double action mode.

If you're in a fight for your life you don't want to have to cock the hammer manually before pressing the trigger. If you can't run a revolver double action it is not the gun for you.

Forget revolvers. That's old school boomer land. Get a pistol that can accept a red dot. The optic can be used to make it easier to rack the slide and makes accuracy feel like cheating.

No for reals, a revolver is not a bad option. If you find some to try out, you can probably find one that the double action isn't too bad, but not too bad to me, might be horrible to you. At any rate, definitely shy away from anything snub nosed and light for a first gun. A full size 4 incher will be heavy enough to soak up recoil, and you can get perfectly adequate 38 special defensive loads.

That said, if you are confident you can run a semi-auto pistol, and plan to train and practice with it. It's the route I'd recommend. And don't forget the dot! Welcome... guns... even one gun... gets expensive fast!

On 3/30/2021 at 12:15 PM, Mr.Stu said:

The one potential show stopper for a revolver as a defensive firearm for people who have less strong hands is the the long, heavy double action trigger in double action mode.

If you're in a fight for your life you don't want to have to cock the hammer manually before pressing the trigger. If you can't run a revolver double action it is not the gun for you.

My GP100's trigger is like budda.  So smooth.  Of course I've shot it.  A lot.  Smooths it out.  Even new though it didn't have a hard trgger pull.  I'm sure there are some hard to pull double action revolvers out there.  But there are heavey trigger semi-autos as well that can hard to pull the trigger on.  I once shot a Taurus PT92 (Berrettta 92FS knock off / clone) that I thought the safety was still on.  Trigger was THAT heavy.  It was insane.  There are also semi-autos that have VERY light trigger pulls.  I dont' know if I would want one of those in my hand during a very intense encounter either.

If someone ever finds themselves in a real fight for their life situation their adreline will be jacked UP.  So better to have a slightly harder to pull trigger than a light trigger that accidently goes "BOOM" because you're shaking and jacked up on adrenaline. 

Just need to know your firearm.  And practice with it occassionally.

And as a new shooter, it's important to try as many firearms as you can.  And because it's fun.  :)

I have the Security 9 Compact, but haven't been able to shoot it yet.  That said, I love the look and feel the of it in my hand.  I definitely like the pinkie extension on the magazine, but that's a personal preference.

The one thing it doesn't have that I wish it did, is a slide release.  But if you put the magazine in with enough force it releases on its own.

I can't personally vouch for it, but it sounds like the break in period is about 500 rounds and you can expect numerous failure to ejects during that time.  It became a lot of owner's favorite after that break-in period and I hope to be another member of that crowd.

Edited by RegRasc1
Minor grammar correction