jm1827

NICs Question

Question for you NICS gurus, I think I know the answer but not sure.

If I purchased a long gun on last week, but had to wait for the NICS backlog and am going back to pick up the gun this weekend, once I was notified that my NICS has cleared, can I purchase a second long gun with out having to have another NICS check?  I have no problem with a second check, even the $$, but the wait and travel are my converns.

Thanks!

It depends on the ffl I believe,....some I’ve encountered like to make up their own rules .I travel a lot and stop at every shop in my path as time permits and I’ve heard some crazy Antiguan/anti2A rhetoric and outright incorrect interpretation of laws/guidelines from employees behind gun store counters .....more than a handful in nj.....but I ’ve done essentially the same only difference has been it was on the same visit...went in for a particular item....filled out 4473 person behind counter handed it off to someone to go call in.....and while waiting I browsed to kill time and found something else I wanted.. ask if I could add this to it or had to fill out another 4473 ...they said no problem and added it after the initial check was done. That was in nj..so it was both long guns...back when you could still shop,, and take possession in one trip in nj. Since escaping nj I and friends have done it across classifications add handgun to an initial long gun 4473 and vice versa. And it’s been at both mom and pop shops and big box corporate stores. I’d call the shop and ask 

Our shop will allow you to add another long gun (or 2 or 3.....) to a 4473 as long as that long gun was in our inventory on the day the NICS was submitted. If the 2nd gun came in after the NICS submission, a new NICS must be done.

• Informative 1

Technically and officially you're not supposed to add any after the check, but we know how that goes. 

Since 11/1/2020, the new 4473 forms have you put the gun info on the form prior to running the check. So adding info after the check is a no no.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:16 AM, PK90 said:

Since 11/1/2020, the new 4473 forms have you put the gun info on the form prior to running the check. So adding info after the check is a no no.

I mentioned that the other day. They moved the gun information from Section D (second page) to Section A (first page), the first thing put on the form.

Any idea why that changed?

BTW, you might want to change that Nov. 2021 date.

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

I mentioned that the other day. They moved the gun information from Section D (second page) to Section A (first page), the first thing put on the form.

Any idea why that changed?

BTW, you might want to change that Nov. 2021 date.

Some people say it is easier for ATF to copy one page than two.

I'll change mine, if you change yours.

I got a question, not to open a new topic,

I purchased, paid for and filled out all paperwork for NICS check. It almost been a week since I did the transaction. Haven’t heard back yet from dealer or NICS for that matter. How does
the one pistol per 30 days apply? when does that clock start ticking?