"Sorry, the state of New Jersey E-FID system has a server outage.  Try accessing your E-FID again in 24-48 weeks."

Nice option for those prone to leaving their ID at home and finding a new toy at the store they want, I guess.  Especially since we all have to use an FFL for virtually all transactions most of us would do.

The way I read it, the system is not needed for the FFL to access the FID. The FID Holder can screenshot, take a picture or print the FID to provide to the FFL. The e-permit for handgun purchase is the bigger problem. But, since the FFL has always needed to go through the NJ system anyway, I don't see much difference. 

One possible negative I see is when the FFL wants a copy of the FID and there's nothing to copy because it's just a picture on a phone. 

1 hour ago, kc17 said:

One possible negative I see is when the FFL wants a copy of the FID and there's nothing to copy because it's just a picture on a phone.

E-mail it to him and he can print it out. I can see some establishments refusing to accept the digital ones because "ya know, It's the law"

1 minute ago, brucin said:

E-mail it to him and he can print it out. I can see some establishments refusing to accept the digital ones because "ya know, It's the law"

No doubt, ways around it. How many FFL want to deal with the extra steps when phones are crazy and the customers are even crazier? I'd think most people would print them. But then again I was at an FFL one day for a pickup, a "young adult" (had to be at least 21) was there to pickup a handgun. Left his P2P at home. D'OH!

4 minutes ago, Dr. Goodshot said:

So if I people can show a screenshot of their digital FID, then can I just show a picture of my paper FID on my phone instead of bringing in the original copy? You know, like if I want to buy ammo or a rifle?

I was thinking about that. IMO it would be up to the FFL. The FFL is not required to copy the FID, only verify the information on it as compared to the DL and notate the SBI# in the logbook.

For now at least I'll be keeping mine in my wallet. 

Heck, Insurance cards can be digital now, and NJ has been looking at going digital with DL also. Just want I want to do... hand my cell over to a cop. Or even better a rent-a-cop or the clerk at a shop for returns, or liquor shop, waiter/waitress/barkeep, etc....

I don’t see this as a win at all. We need to get rid of the permitting system. I know the FID card is low tech but how will ammo sales commence now with everything online? It ain’t crazy to think that this could be a step for California like ammo background check on ammo sales.

Also with all the increase online work, resources, blah blah blah, of the online system, perhaps permit fees could go up. 

The cost of convenience might hurt us in the long haul.

Edited by always_an_eagle
Spelling
  • Agree 2

And STILL, the new digital FID card: 

NJ-State-Police-Firearm-ID-974x1024.jpg 

is STILL missing the verbiage on my original paper FID (Form SBI-159-7-66) issued, very coincidentally EXACTLY 44 years ago TODAY.

The front reads:

... is hereby granted permission to purchase and carry rifles and shot-

guns pursuant to provisions of N.J.S. 2A:151-32 and 41 with amend-

ments and supplements.

The law didn't change to eliminate our right to carry rifles and shotguns, but the bitches on State Street just don't want you to know you can.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I got the email from NJ2AS this morning. They are spinning it as a major win. Unless I am missing an angle/viewpoint this is minor. Sure, it should speed things up a little bit for a FID issuance. 

Disappointing, but somewhat understandable. 

3 minutes ago, kc17 said:

I got the email from NJ2AS this morning. They are spinning it as a major win. Unless I am missing an angle/viewpoint this is minor. Sure, it should speed things up a little bit for a FID issuance. 

Disappointing, but somewhat understandable. 

I agree... I dont see what the WIN is about???   Its only a win, if the E-FID is valid and available the instant the online FARS is complete. As in, not waiting on the local PD to do their thing, and the chief to sign/approve it like the paper version.. If this is what they mean by a victory, then great. People would have their FID in a matter of days, not months..  But i highly doubt this to be the case. The E-pistol permits still need the local PD to sign off and issue, so im sure its the same thing with E-FID....

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, njJoniGuy said:

No, but the current one-sided paper version of the FID doesn't either.

OK, I didn't know that. When did they abandon fingerprints? My card is over 15 years old.

Within the last year. The one I got when I moved in 2020 was still 2 sided and they rolled my print on the back on my way out the door.

The one my neighbor got in 2021 is only 1 sided, with no print on it.

I guess fingerprints are racist now because the downtrodden can't afford to have them. :dontknow:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

how exactly does 2as view this as a win??

This is the biggest problem in NJ with NJ gun clubs,  they think this is a win.        the 2A orgs thinking this is a win is the result of conditioning by the commies in power.    This is more likely the result of all the local PD's complaining about the extra work they have been forced to do.      I'm sure there will be some responses soon with the usual  " its a step in the right direction"  ,   another effect of the conditioning.         Constitutional carry is the only win.

14 hours ago, always_an_eagle said:

I don’t see this as a win at all. We need to get rid of the permitting system. 

Exactly.

We can be sure the motives behind the changes are not done for the benefit of N.J. firearm owners.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Another point that that was just brought up to me by @n4p226r is that the regular FID is valid as an alternate method of identification for use at the DMV.   By going digital they removed a method of valid IDs being used.

That is true. I can speak on that. The FID card is a valid government ID card. Surely, there has to be a way to request a physical copy.

Ok, explain this to me, if the pistol permits go electronic, the chief of police has to still approve it? also, what about expiration? how would you request an extension?, I don't know, I don't see any 'benefit' here unless I'm missing something.

Do I need to carry a physical copy to bear shotguns & rifles? I'm going to anyway since I don't want to have that conversation on the side of the road. Also, is this going to be tied to a Driver's License for the police to pull up to justify a fishing expedition?

1 hour ago, ChrisJM981 said:

... for the police to pull up to justify a fishing expedition?

"No, no, no....yes"

I do believe that you just have to have an FID to travel with long guns all the time, not that you have to have it on you. I carry my ID all the time anyway, so obligatory im not a lawyer/ymmv/do so at your own risk/etc

Hardly a victory.....nor would i consider this a positive improvement. The fact that the state of NJ still requires an FID card and continues with an FID scheme in which many good people are abused by their local police departments shows we have a long way to go. People have died(Carol Bowne) because they waited for permission from the state to legally posses guns on the property they own. Highland Park Police Department is one of the biggest offenders. 

IN NO WAY IS THIS A WIN!  The totality of what I know on this subject would take several paragraphs.

Several friends that are fellow #2AHeavyLifters have reached out to me and we're bouncing ideas & what-if's off each other.

Targeting out of state ammo sales...

Targeting out of state long gun purchasing...

Being able to turn-off your card electronically at-will of the Governor...

...and that's not even all of it.

Only a fool would think this is a "win".  Don't be a typical NJ gun owner and be satisfied as a Stockholm syndrome VICTIM!  Let the big court case make it's way through the system and celebrate when we really WIN!

Rosey

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1