23 hours ago, Malice4you said:

"No, no, no....yes"

I do believe that you just have to have an FID to travel with long guns all the time, not that you have to have it on you. I carry my ID all the time anyway, so obligatory im not a lawyer/ymmv/do so at your own risk/etc

You need to carry a copy so you don't get nailed by this...

2C:39-2.  Presumptions

b.  Licenses and permits.    When the legality of a person's conduct under  this chapter depends on his possession of a license or permit or on his having  registered with or given notice to a particular person or agency, it shall be  presumed that he does not possess such a license or permit or has not  registered or given the required notice, until he establishes the contrary.

• Informative 2

On 4/1/2021 at 5:47 PM, NJ_Dude said:

Ok, explain this to me, if the pistol permits go electronic, the chief of police has to still approve it? also, what about expiration? how would you request an extension?, I don't know, I don't see any 'benefit' here unless I'm missing something.

Pistol purchase permits went digital last year. The Chief of your local PD still needs to approve them. They automatically get extended to 180 days if you don't use them in the first 90 days.

2 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

IN NO WAY IS THIS A WIN!  The totality of what I know on this subject would take several paragraphs.

Several friends that are fellow #2AHeavyLifters have reached out to me and we're bouncing ideas & what-if's off each other.

Targeting out of state ammo sales...

Targeting out of state long gun purchasing...

Being able to turn-off your card electronically at-will of the Governor...

...and that's not even all of it.

Only a fool would think this is a "win".  Don't be a typical NJ gun owner and be satisfied as a Stockholm syndrome VICTIM!  Let the big court case make it's way through the system and celebrate when we really WIN!

Rosey

Thank you for chiming in on this Rosey; I was hoping you would. I've been trying to find an angle I was not seeing that made this the victory NJ2AS was portraying it as. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

You need to carry a copy so you don't get nailed by this...

2C:39-2.  Presumptions

b.  Licenses and permits.    When the legality of a person's conduct under  this chapter depends on his possession of a license or permit or on his having  registered with or given notice to a particular person or agency, it shall be  presumed that he does not possess such a license or permit or has not  registered or given the required notice, until he establishes the contrary.

Why do you need a copy? If you have one that’s valid, anyone can look this information up from the comfort of their patrol car.

BTW - this new electronic card is in no way a good thing. It’s more like more corralling of the horses. 

3 hours ago, Old_Hunter said:

Why do you need a copy? If you have one that’s valid, anyone can look this information up from the comfort of their patrol car.

BTW - this new electronic card is in no way a good thing. It’s more like more corralling of the horses. 

The statute says that the cop must assume you don't have a permit until you "establish to the contrary". It doesn't put the onus on the cop. It puts the onus on you, the permit holder.

• Informative 1

37 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

The statute says that the cop must assume you don't have a permit until you "establish to the contrary". It doesn't put the onus on the cop. It puts the onus on you, the permit holder.

But if you have a copy on the phone and the regulations says this is OK, then you proved that you have it.

Anyone knows how someone with a paper copy gets an electronic one?

9 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Pistol purchase permits went digital last year. The Chief of your local PD still needs to approve them. They automatically get extended to 180 days if you don't use them in the first 90 days.

Ok, so to be clear, I have a couple of pistol permits that will expire next month, so, I don't have to do anything to get an extension? I don't have a 'digital' permit, I have 'paper' versions.

5 hours ago, FXDX said:

it says original paper cards are still valid and will not expire. link from the OP

https://www.nj2as.org/another-nj2as-victory-nj-state-police-digitize-firearm-id-card/

Remember that this is the same state who after completing the GSP in 1954, said tolls would be temporary until the bond of $330 million to build it was paid off.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Old_Hunter said:

Remember that this is the same state who after completing the GSP in 1954, said tolls would be temporary until the bond of $330 million to build it was paid off.

been waiting long to drop that line? and yes the state sales tax was temporary too and  you use be able to shoot 22 caliber rifles on the jersey shore boardwalk shooting galleries

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

IN NO WAY IS THIS A WIN!  The totality of what I know on this subject would take several paragraphs.

Several friends that are fellow #2AHeavyLifters have reached out to me and we're bouncing ideas & what-if's off each other.

Targeting out of state ammo sales...

Targeting out of state long gun purchasing...

Being able to turn-off your card electronically at-will of the Governor...

...and that's not even all of it.

Only a fool would think this is a "win".  Don't be a typical NJ gun owner and be satisfied as a Stockholm syndrome VICTIM!  Let the big court case make it's way through the system and celebrate when we really WIN!

Rosey

i hadn't thought of these.

i wonder if they'll have something set up with FFL's that sends notice to them every single time our fPid is presented for something? such as ammo purchases? a backdoor registration of long guns(presuming that the state pd does what they're supposed to do and not copy or keep the info when they run nics). .....

A link to a digital version (PDF file) of my paper FID was included in the email with my handgun permits. So I downloaded it and can print as many copies as I want.

I was surprised since I hadn't specifically applied for a digital version. So yes, fingerprints on the card are now passé.

This FPID and P2P is racist bullshit.  How are poor blacks and hispanics supposed to exercise their 2A rights.  We need to do away with all fees...  actually, we need to do away with the FPID entirely.  It's racist I tells ya!  No voter ID, No FPID either.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, twentynine30s said:

Not trying to sound cheap ...

You’re not.. It sounds like the “convenience fee” people pay state &  local govs for online processing fees. IIRC the NJSP portal charges the convenience fee on the background check and so does the NJDMV if you pay your Auto Registration online. That's the government way, they don't produce anything so that's way they nickle-dime everyone. At least with the DMV you could just send it in via snail mail which is what I do to avoid the convenience fee but unfortunately no way around that if you want to go through the firearm process with your local gov.

17 hours ago, FXDX said:

It sounds line [Sic] the “convenience fee” people pay

Only the NJ govt could find a way to cut costs and eliminate jobs by putting billing on line and then turn around and charge citizens an extra fee for THEM saving money.

I was issued an e-FID even though I did not ask for it. 

I applied for fresh P2Ps on Aug 17, approval email came this morning and included a link and security code to access my e-FID. The email stated paper FIDs were no longer being issued (we know) but it did not say if I could continue to use the paper FID or not. I assume so, since the paper ones do not list an expiration date like a DL. The issue date on the e-FID is today also, not the original date of issue. 

On 8/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, kc17 said:

I was issued an e-FID even though I did not ask for it. 

I applied for fresh P2Ps on Aug 17, approval email came this morning and included a link and security code to access my e-FID. The email stated paper FIDs were no longer being issued (we know) but it did not say if I could continue to use the paper FID or not. I assume so, since the paper ones do not list an expiration date like a DL. The issue date on the e-FID is today also, not the original date of issue. 

***DELETED***

So the state that still uses IBM System 36 mini computers went to online FIDs.

Great.   Any bets for how long it will take to hack these so criminals can purchase guns in your name?

Do FFLs verify the validity of a DL by number for example? Or just look at the name, address and photo?

Electronic is not always better.

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

Criminals don't go to FFLs to buy.

ID thief criminals will steal the data and sell it.. so others can attempt to buy weapons in someone else's name.  Its a way to get good quality firearms that aren’t ‘stolen’ so to speak.

On 8/30/2021 at 12:25 AM, Kevin125 said:

So the state that still uses IBM System 36 mini computers went to online FIDs.

Great.   Any bets for how long it will take to hack these so criminals can purchase guns in your name?

Do FFLs verify the validity of a DL by number for example? Or just look at the name, address and photo?

Electronic is not always better.

***DELETED***

I’m familiar with System 34s and the character set they use.  My point was simply the State of NJ hasn’t bothered to replace older systems.   But you are correct. Keeping those mini systems off of ethernet has security benefits.  Kevin Mitnick might be a concern if he got anywhere near dumpsters in Trenton, but he’s moved on from that, so they are probably good for now.