leahcim

Precious metals

Hi , I didn't read all the post but also consider fractional gold 1/10 1/4 oz etc buy when on sale as the premiums are high. most folks may not have the 5k per oz in whatever funny money is issued but they maybe can swing a 1/10 or 1/4 oz worth of. In my opinion PMs are a part of a plan to safeguard your assets not the whole plan. They work in a rebuilding society where their is social structure, Nobody will want metal for food in a mad max scene but at that point you have bigger fish to fry anyway.  Maybe trade for land equipment etc. 

In venezuala 1 oz of silver bought food for a while , that society spiraled the toilet but didn't crash into dust, the ones with the PMs had a leg up in putting their lives back together quicker. just my 2 cents. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 11:22 PM, father-of-three said:

Does 90% junk silver reach (or even come close to) precious metal status?

It sure does.  Junk silver is getting harder and harder to find, and premiums are quite high on it now.  It used to be one of the cheapest ways to buy silver, but not anymore.  US Mint coins are rarely counterfeited, so junk silver is a safe bet.  Pre-65 dimes, quarters and halves are a great way to accumulate 90% silver coins.  Keep an eye on the premiums, check Craigslist, coin dealers, coin shows, and eBay.  I started my silver stacking in the late 70’s after getting some 1964 Kennedy halves as change at a store.  Now it’s almost impossible to find any in circulation.  Some people search rolls of half dollars from banks, but it’s not worth the time and effort anymore.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LeaveNJ said:

It sure does.  Junk silver is getting harder and harder to find, and premiums are quite high on it now.  It used to be one of the cheapest ways to buy silver, but not anymore.  US Mint coins are rarely counterfeited, so junk silver is a safe bet.  Pre-65 dimes, quarters and halves are a great way to accumulate 90% silver coins.  Keep an eye on the premiums, check Craigslist, coin dealers, coin shows, and eBay.  I started my silver stacking in the late 70’s after getting some 1964 Kennedy halves as change at a store.  Now it’s almost impossible to find any in circulation.  Some people search rolls of half dollars from banks, but it’s not worth the time and effort anymore.  

I was able to find an occasional 1964 quarter or dime when I worked at Wendy's, but that was 30 years ago

On 1/10/2022 at 10:03 PM, Sniper said:

So, you think if the US melts down, that won't have an effect on a bunch of other countries. You do know that the dollar is the world's reserve currency, right?

There’s a concerted effort by some countries to get away from the dollar as the world’s currency.  The new Chinese digital yuan will be backed by physical commodities.  It will be easy for countries to covert it into physical gold and silver.  Don’t kid yourself.  The dollar won’t be the world’s reserve currency for much longer.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LeaveNJ said:

There’s a concerted effort by some countries to get away from the dollar as the world’s currency.  The new Chinese digital yuan will be backed by physical commodities.  It will be easy for countries to covert it into physical gold and silver.  Don’t kid yourself.  The dollar won’t be the world’s reserve currency for much longer.  

I can guarantee you it won’t be easy to turn it into jack shit. The digital part may be new, but we’ve done the backed by a physical item thing, and it’ll be a mess. There’s an inherent issue with pulling enough of a thing of value out of the global economy in as volume large enough to represent the global economy. 

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

I can guarantee you it won’t be easy to turn it into jack shit. The digital part may be new, but we’ve done the backed by a physical item thing, and it’ll be a mess. There’s an inherent issue with pulling enough of a thing of value out of the global economy in as volume large enough to represent the global economy. 

You’re making the point that is obvious to so many, which is that precious metals are severely over leveraged.  The real value will only be realized when we return to a true 1:1 correlation of contracts to ounces.  The inherent issue with the current system is that the market is misrepresenting how much physical metal is actually available, suppressing the price.  This house of cards will come tumbling down and those who actually hold physical will finally be rewarded for taking physical off the market.  The game is almost over.  This rigged system cannot continue much longer.  

20 minutes ago, samiam said:

You prefer currency that is backed entirely by the good faith of politicians :>?

Exactly!!  The Fed is printing money left and right.  Gold and silver have a known above ground supply, and mining is getting less cost effective.  I’ll take my chances with metals as a portion of my portfolio.  

I have used Silvertowne out of Indiana. They have their own 1 oz. bars and rounds along with all of the other coins mentioned. They have been reputable. I think their prices are a little closer to spot than others and you can also find bars from other companies as well on their website. I buy the bars and rounds, keep them in their plastic cases. I have bought a few coins on the site that correspond with my Grandkids birth years but prefer to 1 oz. bars.

I would also say that having a couple of 223/5.56 rifles in the box will make some good money through your FFL when talk of bans hit the news. in 2013 I personally know of at least 6 Jersey Legal rifles that sold for over 2K. Although there wasn't a nationwide shortage Jersey legal models were a huge premium.