leahcim

Precious metals

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Curious how other NJ residents are dealing with the sales tax issue in acquiring PM's?

Wait, what????

Comrade Murphy wants 7% up front, then he will want a CG cut when I sell?  I guess I should have expected it in NJ.

4 minutes ago, leahcim said:

Wait, what????

Comrade Murphy wants 7% up front, then he will want a CG cut when I sell?  I guess I should have expected it in NJ.

Yeah, sad but true.  It adds over $100 to the cost of an ounce of gold, over and above the premium. Then CG on the way out.

3 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Curious how other NJ residents are dealing with the sales tax issue in acquiring PM's?

Get them from sources like Craigslist and other selling sites... no record of purchase... problem solved....

For the benefit of those thinking of getting into PMs, thought I would share my experience as a novice so far.

·         All my purchases so far were through JM Bullion.  Am pleased so far with all aspects of their selection and service.   The other reputable online dealers mentioned above are likely fine as well.  Just have not dealt with them yet.

·         I was very apprehensive at the outset making such potentially expensive purchases online. So my first order was relatively small so I could get comfortable and develop trust of JM Bullion and their ordering and shipping processes.

·         I had in mind what I wanted to purchase in total.  I then spread that out over a number of additional orders as opposed to one large order. 

·         The price, which includes NJ Sales Tax, is locked in at the time of the order.  Same for the quantity you ordered, even if it subsequently goes out of stock.  I.e. no surprises.

·         In all cases, I paid using Echeck/ACH, utilizing funds in my checking account.  Purchasing is as easy as a few clicks of the mouse after you initially set things up.  (They use a financial intermediary known as PLAID.  Google it.).  Items ship in 3-5 days after your order date in order for them to confirm that your funds have cleared.

·         In all cases I opted to pay extra for the UPS 3-Day Select service ($4.99 - $14.99 depending on the weight, e.g. for a gold and silver order respectively).   A signature is required so someone must be home waiting for UPS to arrive.  All items were very securely packaged.

·         In most cases, the item arrived the day after I first saw that the UPS label was created. Very fast delivery from Nevada!  As fast as six business days from date of order to receipt of the items. However, in one case it was much slower and I feared the item was lost/stolen in transit.  Nevertheless, it did arrive on the third business day after UPS picked it up.

·         Their Wishlist and “Notify me when back in stock” notifications work well.

·         Their mobile app works well. Let’s you shop, place and track the status of orders, etc.  (Hint: Click on Store, then click on either the Gold or Silver coin, then use the menu pulldown on the upper left to login. From there you can see the status of all your orders, place new orders, etc.

·         And yes, having to pay NJ sales tax is a bummer as compared to other states like Delaware. However, given I am acquiring PMs as a hedge against a future systemic financial SHTF situation, I deemed that added cost to not be prohibitive. If I instead were investing for the shorter term, then it likely would have been.

So I have officially caught the PM bug and have joined the ranks of “stackers”.   Am very much enjoying watching PM related YouTube videos, Podcasts, and learning as I go along.  So I have a suspicion that these won’t be my last purchases.  The 2021 American Silver Eagles sure do look tempting. 

As was said above in this thread:  “Come on in, the water is fine!”.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:58 PM, Sniper said:

Yeah, a monetary crisis is coming, but you're preaching a narrative held by a few PM holders, buy won't turn into reality when it comes. Reason, like I mentioned above, very few have any idea what PMs are worth. Where will you be trading your gold/silver to in your neighborhood for gas, food, supplies, medicine, etc?

We'll see about the monetary crisis, but the point of silver or gold is as an inflation hedge. You don't trade it to your neighbor. You buy things with cash. You just use the PMs to get more cash than that crap you have in the bank that trades 1:1 with the current garbage value of cash (at the time of said hypothetical crisis). 

Push the crisis a bit farther, and it is something to flee with to someplace else where you can turn it into the local coin without people laughing in your face. 

Beyond that for the mad max situation (well mad max would probably be the above, it's more like road warrior and on level here), it's going to be fairly useless for trade. In that case silver is probably the more useful metal to have in possession practically speaking.