oldguysrule649

Collier-Mills WMA Range Report

Several weeks ago I visited the newly renovated and reopened range at Collier-Mills WMA.  Thought I would post my impressions.  (I am having problems posting my images.  Will do so later once I resolve the issue.)

- Overall a substantial improvement over the prior range facility. 

- The shooting benches in particular are a great improvement over the old shooting benches.  The countertop area is quite spacious and accommodates both left and right handed shooters. I found the ergonomics were great when shooting my Ruger Precision Rifle(556/223).  The benches/tables are made of smooth concrete.  Recommend bringing a towel or moving blanket(Harbor Freight) as the concrete seats can be cold/damp depending on the weather.

- One of the eight shooting benches has no seats in order to accommodate handicapped shooters(e.g. wheelchair). 

- There are two handicap parking spaces directly next to the shooting positions.   Other than that, you need park in the same area as before.  It is possible to temporarily pull your vehicle down the hill near the benches in order to offload/load your gear.  I was very much hoping this would be the case.  In the past, I didn't like having to lug all my stuff to/from the car in hot weather.  (Am not as young or fit as I once was.)

-  The line of shooting benches are approx 25 years further back from the berm.  So the range is now approx 125 yards rather than the pervious 100 yards.  This also means you are 25 yards closer to your vehicle when you go to/from it during the course of your visit.

- The roof over the shooting line is large and provides much more protection from the sun and rain than the old concrete bunkers did.

- There is a slanted concrete structure in front of the shooting line to stop bullets from going over the top of the berm.  I.e. when shooting you do not have line of sight of the top of the berm.

- My only criticism, and it struct me as quite odd, is that the shooing line is skewed to the left relative to the berm.   If you imagine a straight line from each bench to the berm, only the approx left 3/5's of the berm is being used.  I do not believe this is an optical illusion.  Another shooter there thought the same.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar with NJ Wildlife Management Area ranges; you need a NJ Hunting License or be the guest of someone who has one.   For the Collier-Mills WMA in particular, you can shoot rifles (up to and including .30 caliber) and shotguns(slugs or  buckshot only).   No clay shooting nor handguns are allowed.  Refer to the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife website for information on the various WMA's and what types of shooting is allowed at each of them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Yes I do. Had issues posting them (error code -200) with my original post.  Will troubleshoot and try again this afternoon. 

May have to upload them to an outside image host like Imgur then link 'em here.

Looks nice!   I'm glad to see they put in a proper gravel driveway from the parking area to the benches.   It used to be annoying having to hike it up and down the old hill dirt carrying all your gear.   I used to go all the way down to Makepeace Range, but now Colliers looks just as nice, and way closer to home for me.   Thanks for the pics/report.  

Stafford Forge is also complete and open. It has 6 benches. The shotgun side was full of Clays on the ground and when I visited the range on Saturday, there must have been 30 people shooting Clays. I thought they were shooting as a group.

3 hours ago, rtquig said:

Stafford Forge is also complete and open. It has 6 benches

IMO, there are too many benches.  They are too close to each other and with all the asshats bringing their "deer hunting" AKs  to the range doing double and triple tap "hunting" drills, well, in that cramped space, there's going to be problems.  It is MUCH nicer that we can drive up to the benches and trap field now.

4 hours ago, rtquig said:

Stafford Forge is also complete and open. It has 6 benches. The shotgun side was full of Clays on the ground and when I visited the range on Saturday, there must have been 30 people shooting Clays. I thought they were shooting as a group.

Should have stopped and said hi. You may have been surprised who was there....

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

IMO, there are too many benches.  They are too close to each other and with all the asshats bringing their "deer hunting" AKs  to the range doing double and triple tap "hunting" drills, well, in that cramped space, there's going to be problems.  It is MUCH nicer that we can drive up to the benches and trap field now.

Uh oh! Fudd alert!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, oldguysrule649 said:

Several weeks ago I visited the newly renovated and reopened range at Collier-Mills WMA.  Thought I would post my impressions.

Thank you for sharing. I just saw the newly renovated Clinton WMA (the rifle range) for the first time just yesterday. I can say that it had VERY similar upgrades - the same style concrete benches, similar double-roof system to keep anything from flying over the berm, etc. - must be a "template" they're using. The concrete bench was rather less than comfortable, but I'm sure it should be long-lasting so I can see why they opted for that. And as you noted, you can always throw something on it for comfort. Overall, nice upgrades! :)

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

The WMA is the natural habitat of the Fudd.  In fact, it exists for the Fudd. 

I'm jus say'n.  I can see issues down the line when folks are getting smacked in the face with hot brass.

I am happy to police the spent brass there, so the more people leave behind, the better.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

The concrete bench was rather less than comfortable, but I'm sure it should be long-lasting so I can see why they opted for that.  :)

Perhaps with the cost of lumber it was less expensive to build with concrete.

Or, they hope someone trips and cracks their head open; bingo, one less gun owner in N.J.

24 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Perhaps with cost of lumber it was less expensive to build with concrete.

Or, they hope someone trips and cracks their head open; bingo, one less gun owner in N.J.

Durability is one factor to use concrete over wood. The concrete won’t warp or rot. But, more importantly, the concrete doesn’t move, wobble, shift, bounce or shake. This makes a much more stable platform to shoot from. This is very helpful when zeroing optics and/or shooting for accuracy. Wooden benches would move too much and impart to much instability to the shooter and rifle.

• Informative 1

49 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Durability is one factor to use concrete over wood. The concrete won’t warp or rot. But, more importantly, the concrete doesn’t move, wobble, shift, bounce or shake. This makes a much more stable platform to shoot from. This is very helpful when zeroing optics and/or shooting for accuracy. Wooden benches would move too much and impart to much instability to the shooter and rifle.

Clinton WMA had one giant wooden bench before - Anyone shooting or even sitting down would move the whole darn thing for everyone.  

I for one prefer the concrete.  Yeah it's not as comfortable and can scratch up your stuff - but that's why you bring shooting mats.  It'll also last a LOT longer...

14 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Should have stopped and said hi. You may have been surprised who was there....

I am waiting to have surgery for a rotator cuff tear and can only use one arm.  I needed to get out of the house so took a drive to the range. Now, I'm sorry I didn't get out of my truck and talk with people. I went back on Monday with my son and watched him shoot.  It will be at least 6 months until I have two good arms to shoot with.

Great news that they upgraded Stafford Forge as well.   They look like proper ranges now, instead of just some old tables in the woods like it used to be.   

I wonder if the switch to allowing centerfire up to .30 caliber prompted them to upgrade all the ranges?   That would explain the new overhead baffles.  

Having never been to one of these areas I'm not familiar with the operation.  If there are people on the line is there a designated time for new shooter like top and bottom of the hour?  What is used for targets?  I may get a hunting license just try it out.  

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

Having never been to one of these areas I'm not familiar with the operation.  If there are people on the line isn't here s designated time for new shooter like top and bottom of the hour?  What is used for targets?  I may get a hunting license just try it out.  

Shotgun/Clay range - if there's an open station, go for it.  Rifle range - get setup and ask around for a cease fire if everyone looks about ready for one.  You'll need a target stand of some sort for rifle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob0115 said:

Having never been to one of these areas I'm not familiar with the operation

Usually there is no wait for  bench, but if there is, you just have to hang until whomever is occupying a lane is done.  Use some common sense for targets, don't bring empty whisky bottles unless they are plastic.  You will need some kind of target stand.  PVC and 2x4 constructed stands are popular, but I use 5' wood stakes and staple coroplast signs (road side advertising and political signs) to them and stick self adhesive splatter targets to them.  Whatever targets you use, clean up after yourself.

• Like 2