PK90

Murphy needs a lesson from Ducey

I'll just leave this here. Not sure how much weight it holds.

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey signs bill to preempt federal gun laws

PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey has signed legislation that aims to prohibit police and sheriffs from enforcing federal gun laws that violate the 2nd Amendment.

Backers say the bill signed Tuesday would ensure that the rights of gun owners are protected from what they say is the potential for overreach by President Joe Biden’s administration.

Critics say it will undermine the rule of law and discourage law enforcement officers from enforcing federal gun laws to protect the public.

They also say it’s an unconstitutional measure that will cost taxpayers to defend in court.

Gun control advocates from Everytown for Gun Safety delivered petitions earlier Tuesday urging Ducey to reject the legislation.

Murphy doesn't need a lesson from Ducey.  Murphy knows that NJ could pass the same law.  He doesn't want it.

The only thing that Murphy needs is to be soundly rejected in the November election.

24 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

I am curious as to how it would prohibit federal law from being enforced.

I believe that most states and cities just prevent local and/or state police and investigators from working with federal officers to enforce federal laws that are in conflict with state laws.  

In other words, if the feds want to ban magazines that hold more than ten rounds, they are on their own to come in to Arizona to confiscate them or arrest those that hold them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, father-of-three said:

I am curious as to how it would prohibit federal law from being enforced.  It is, or can be, quite stand to take, much like the 2A sanctuary city/county/municipality concept in that if it taken seriously,  there would likely be serious repercussions. 

Look at how Federal laws concerning marijuana are ignored by many states. I believe that marijuana is still a Schedule I CDS. It is very similar, the Feds do not have the resources to enforce these laws without state cooperation.

8 hours ago, EdF said:

In other words, if the feds want to ban magazines that hold more than ten rounds, they are on their own to come in to Arizona to confiscate them or arrest those that hold them.

Hyperthetacly, might be a stupid question, But, if that holds true if the Feds came in and arrested you for a magazine ban would it be a Federal offense, meaning Federal prison instead of state?

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Hyperthetacly, might be a stupid question, But, if that holds true if the Feds came in and arrested you for a magazine ban would it be a Federal offense, meaning Federal prison instead of state?

My guess, theoretically, is yes.  Other federal laws include the gun free school zone act and prohibition of carrying a firearm in post offices.  My assumption is that the federal government would rely on state/local governments to enforce similar laws on that level to avoid the whole probably-costly federal prison thing.....unless it was some high profile case, which posession of an 11 round magazine by itself is certainly not.

17 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Yes.  But, if the State Police arrest you for having a 30 mag and the state has no law against it, you will be charged with the federal crime.  There is no state crime to charge you with.  It's the law that you are arrested for, not title of the officer who arrests you that determines where you are charged.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, EdF said:

Yes.  But, if the State Police arrest you for having a 30 mag and the state has no law against it, you will be charged with the federal crime.  There is no state crime to charge you with.  It's the law that you are arrested for, not title of the officer who arrests you that determines where you are charged.

Does this work for marijuana laws as well?