stuff came today. i just finished putting the parts kit in there. so now a few questions.

1) what exactly do i use to tighten that super shallow bolt on the front sight?

2) i forgot to order a sight press. or whatever that tool's called. is it safe to use a plastic hammer to tap the rear sights into the dovetail?

3) is there anything specific i need to do to test function before firing?

thanks guys.

You got your slide??? Mine is stuck in FedEx hell. I think they lost it. 

I have the tools to install the front/rear sights, unfortunately they are packed. I’ll take a look tomorrow and see if I can easily find them. 

13 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

You got your slide??? Mine is stuck in FedEx hell. I think they lost it. 

I have the tools to install the front/rear sights, unfortunately they are packed. I’ll take a look tomorrow and see if I can easily find them. 

as long as its not gonna be a pain in the ass for ya, that would be awesome sir!

yea. stuff came sometime this morning. never saw the fedex truck. went up into the office for something, and the box was setting on the counter.

i had to watch a youtube video to put the thing together. was pretty easy. the channel liner went in easier than i thought it would have.i have the front sight on loose, but have nothing here to tighten that bolt with. i didn't put the optic on yet as i want to install rear sight first......

I opened a couple of boxes where I thought the sight tools were located, but no joy. Sorry. 

The front sight takes a very thin walled socket. The rear can be installed with light taps with a hammer and punch, but the sight tool is so much easier. 

FedEx has STILL not updated the delivery date for my slide. I really think they lost it, and don’t have the balls to tell me. 

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I opened a couple of boxes where I thought the sight tools were located, but no joy. Sorry. 

The front sight takes a very thin walled socket. The rear can be installed with light taps with a hammer and punch, but the sight tool is so much easier. 

FedEx has STILL not updated the delivery date for my slide. I really think they lost it, and don’t have the balls to tell me. 

dam man, i'm sorry. 

i think you'll like the slide. it looks better in person than it does in the pics. i did notice though that at the very front, where the oe slide is slightly rounded, the new one simply has a 45degree cut. most wouldn't notice i think.

no problem on that man. i appreciate you even just taking the time to look for me.

Fed- Ex tracking has been wonky.

I was supposed to get a package on Tuesday, August 17th - ironically also a slide I had sent to Maple Leaf to get milled for a RDS.

Thursday I get an email that it has been updated for delivery of Saturday, August 15th.

Saturday morning, updated again, this time to Sunday August 15th.

Sunday, I get a tracking update saying Monday August 16th.

Slide showed up Sunday morning anyway.

Thinking about doing a Holosun 508T on my G30 and having the slide milled from battlewerx. Since this would be my maiden voyage on this type venture (and actually the first RD on a handgun) based on what HE posted anyone see an issue with having the Iron Sight Dovetail milled in Front of Optic with the 1/4 or 1/3 Co-witness? Or is the preferred method here the rear sight dovetail in behind? 

3 hours ago, FXDX said:

Thinking about doing a Holosun 508T on my G30 and having the slide milled from battlewerx. Since this would be my maiden voyage on this type venture (and actually the first RD on a handgun) based on what HE posted anyone see an issue with having the Iron Sight Dovetail milled in Front of Optic with the 1/4 or 1/3 Co-witness? Or is the preferred method here the rear sight dovetail in behind? 

My first RDS gun is milled with rear iron in front of the optic. That was from 2012 - I chose it because I thought it may protect the optic from brass. Ultimately, it was unnecessary.

Once I start shooting, I don’t really notice it one way or another.

I’d say, irons in back is pretty much the standard, but I have heard some pretty good shooters say it gives a better view of the glass and let’s you grab the dot faster. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply back. I’d like to move forward with a RD for at least one handgun and see if it helps with my old eyes for better consistency. I was leaning towards battlewerx because it looked like they were a one stop shopping experience but they are out of stock on the cowitness sights. Jagerwerks looks like they may come in cheaper and had good reviews so kind of at an impasse for the moment do to the sights.

Since you mentioned in an earlier posing would you go with the lower 1/4  cowitness or the 1/3? Of course I re-opened an older thread and added a twist so would you still get the lowest  sights even with the rear sight dovetail in front of the RD? Either way I think green dot would do the trick for me, I have the SIG SAUER ROMEO5 Green dot on a long gun and its a huge difference from the standard red dot. Hope to decide before the Fourth because both have holiday pricing in effect. Thank you in advance and have a great holiday. 

I like the dot as low as possible in the slide with the lowest irons possible.

If you’re buying a complete milled slide I think Gray Ghost Precision is having a pretty good sale on their slides right now as well. JW makes nice slides, but their prices  are generally an little higher. I’m still a big Brownell’s fan. Can’t beat it for the money.

If you already have the slide and are sending it to be milled, I recommend:

DP Customs: https://www.dpcustomworksllc.com

and 

Maple Leaf Firearms:
https://www.mapleleaffirearms.com

I have Glock 19s done by both of them and the work is outstanding, priced well, and quick turnaround with good comms.

• Thanks 1