RobCo

Excessive transfer fees?

Would you say that $75 for a transfer fee a bit excessive? I won't mention any specific shops names but someone I know recently purchased two lowers online and they were charged $75 transfer fee per lower. And is it common to charge a transfer fee for each?

I sold a pistol to a forum member here recently and he used a FFL that’s local to both of us. On my recommendation. 
I bought several guns from this dealer, and his transfer fee was $45+ NICS. 

When we met to do the transfer, he had raised his fee to $85( I think). Plus NICS. :o

I was pretty taken aback when I heard this....IMHO, way over the top. 
Buyer wasn’t happy either. (That reminds me, we still need to get together for a beer or three on me, @axeman_g). 

On one hand, I somewhat understand the FFL transfer fee being higher for a private sale. He’s not making any profit on the firearm sale. I get that...he’s got to keep the lights on. 
On principle though, wow....personally I think it’s a bit excessive. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RobCo said:

Would you say that $75 for a transfer fee a bit excessive? I won't mention any specific shops names but someone I know recently purchased two lowers online and they were charged $75 transfer fee per lower. And is it common to charge a transfer fee for each?

Hopefully the market will weed these FFL's out,   All the more reason to purchase as much online or out of state as possible.   They do it to themselves.

2 hours ago, RobCo said:

I think we should name the ffls and their prices. Nothing wrong with helping forum members save money. 

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, revenger said:

Hopefully the market will weed these FFL's out,   All the more reason to purchase as much online or out of state as possible.   They do it to themselves.

Actually, I really wanted to buy from the the local FFLs and support them. Either they don't respond, or the guy I went to said his suppliers couldn't get what I wanted, and he told me order online and have it shipped to him.

2 hours ago, Sniper said:

Actually, I really wanted to buy from the the local FFLs and support them. Either they don't respond, or the guy I went to said his suppliers couldn't get what I wanted, and he told me order online and have it shipped to him.

Right. Can't buy what they don't have.

I'm purchasing more on Ebay these days not because I want to but because the products I want/need are not available locally, the prices are insane or they've substituted a lower quality item, or both.

People are going to regret the demise of brick and mortar stores. When competition is eliminated selection goes down and prices go up.   

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

I just used one of my permits to buy a pistol from an online supplier, and my local guy charged me $25 for the transfer and $15 for the NICS, for a total of $40.

PM this FFL please.

50 for a transfer is fine. But when you have multiples and there is a charge for every add-on. That is bad business!