Welcome. 

For real, I'm not an expert.

Hypothetically: Part one, I think it depended on the firearm in question. Part two, no. Procession of any STANDARD CAPACITY magazine makes you a felon, unless you're a LEO. Fun fact, when the brain trust in Trenton first drafted and passed that law, they forgot to exclude LEOs. They needed to revise it later. 

Chances are others will chime in at some point. 

Side note, please stop using the gun grabbers terms. They are not high capacity, they are standard capacity. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, kc17 said:

Welcome. 

For real, I'm not an expert.

Hypothetically: Part one, I think it depended on the firearm in question. Part two, no. Procession of any STANDARD CAPACITY magazine makes you a felon, unless you're a LEO. Fun fact, when the brain trust in Trenton first drafted and passed that law, they forgot to exclude LEOs. They needed to revise it later. 

Chances are others will chime in at some point. 

Side note, please stop using the gun grabbers terms. They are not high capacity, they are standard capacity. 

they should've left it alone. if we don't need standard capacity, then neither do leos. if leo's need standard capacity, then so do we.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Question one: if it’s a ban weapon from the 1990 NJ Assault Weapon ban (like a M1 carbine for example) then you can’t have it in this state. The registration period already passed a long time ago, so effectively keep your mouth shut. If the firearm in question is an AR-15 with evil features (collapsible stock, bayonet lug, threaded barrel) then separated the complete upper from the lower receiver, take the upper for compliance work at a gunsmith and once you get the upper compliant, then take lower to gun Smith to get the Burt stock pinned.

For question two: if you are a cop then standard capacity magazines that hold more than ten rounds are legal. But if you aren’t a cop, then standard capacity magazines that hold more than ten rounds is illegal. If you got them, then keep your mouth shut, and if you ever want to sell them in this state or take them to the range then you have to order epoxy and mag blocks and permanently block the magazines. 

Ignorance of the law is not a good defense in a court of law, the burden to know the law is on you. Stick around the forum and join r/njguns on Reddit, plenty of discussions on our f-ed up gun laws so you can be informed. Also I highly recommend you get Evan Nappen’s book on NJ law, a highly recommended read, all NJ gun owners should have that book. And if you got anything illegal in this state, then KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!!!!

• Informative 1