410guy

Absurd ammo prices!

The ammo situation really has me concerned for the long term viability of shooting as a hobby.   Since I haven't done many range trips over the past year, I really wasn't paying much attention to ammo prices/availability.   I knew there was a shortage but didn't realize how badly prices were affected.   I checked today and my jaw dropped...over $1 a round for basic FMJ pistol rounds?   Its even worse for rifle rounds.   Amazingly, even shotgun shells and oddball calibers seem to be affected...stuff that was typically not affected during previous shortages.  

Do you guys think things will EVER go back to "normal"?   I am not optimistic about it, given the state of current events.   At best I'm thinking it might take several years for supply to catch up and prices go back down.  Luckily I have a modest supply of ammo to hold me over in the meantime...but I will definitely have to ration it.   I fear being priced out of the hobby if things don't get better, since I can't afford to go the range very often if it means $100+ in ammo costs every time.  

I was thinking of looking at airguns as an option until things (hopefully) blow over.   Or even Archery!   

44 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

there's guys on here and on mewe in the njg4sale group selling  45 and 9 for between .50 and .70 a round. even some 5.56 can be found for less than a buck a round.

Thanks, good to know.   Luckily I have enough for the short term.   Just worried that this will become the new normal given current events.  Seems like the perfect storm of low supply and huge demand.    

58 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

It looks like it maybe a year to a year and a half before it settles down. 

i think we were saying that last year........

1 hour ago, 410guy said:

Thanks, good to know.   Luckily I have enough for the short term.   Just worried that this will become the new normal given current events.  Seems like the perfect storm of low supply and huge demand.    

i'm fearful that this is the new normal.......

On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 PM, silverado427 said:

It looks like it maybe a year to a year and a half before it settles down. 

The issue is going to be the commies in power,   this started off due to the flu , the election and the riots,  where this is going to go who knows,   The commies will never let a good disaster go to waste and you can bet your last round they will take full advantage of this and drag it on by any means possible with the assistance of the media.    it has already started for us in NJ and this will spread across the country ,   some states are capable of resisting, obviously we are not one of them.     look for this to last until we are throwing rocks at each other.    mark my words.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, kc17 said:

They have this almost always now. It use to sell out quickly when it was .50 per round now they have had it pretty regular in stock. This is one of the items they also have for phone sales when its not listed online. They had PMC 9 mm  today for .34 a round but it was from a cancelled previous order only 20 boxs I just missed that today. I got a bunch of these cci cases stocked up. It isn't the cleanest but I just finished my 4 th case of it and have not had one bad bullet . Its hard to believe but its true. I was buying the same case last year from them for $199 , I stopped buying them when they jacked it up to $550 but I got more than a couple sitting around. I got some Fiocchi 9 mm last week for a pretty fair deal from them think it was .48 per round shipped. I keep daying I am done  buying 9 mm but if Natchez drops it for .40 or less I am still buying it.

Natchez also dropped  CCI blazer 9 mm aluminum.37 cpr and Remington 9mm . 44 cpr today . Grabbed some more of the aluminum my Glock runs good on it . Seems like they have .40’sh cpr at least once a week finding it before it gets scooped is the problem. I normally have an hour or two to kill a day on the job so I have been very lucky with grabbing it . 

Just got off the phone adding some mini mags to one of my orders, they have plenty of Remington 9mm still .44 pr sales guy asked me sure you don't want to add some. Told him again I am real good on 9 mm but under .40 pr I can't pass it up. So if anyone needs 9 mm call them up sounds like they got a huge load in today.